What kind of new RE would you guys like to see developed?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2017

Something like the Korg apps for Ipads, beatstation emus etc. I like playing on those, except the ipad connection stuff.

musicman691

23 Oct 2017

Mylor wrote:
23 Oct 2017
A VST-container that can load 32bit VST-instruments & effects
and/or - please don't shoot at me :mrgreen: - a rack extension that can emulate exactly a Roland JP8000
like Adam Szabo did with VST (32bit)
You can use j-bridge to wrap those 32 bit plugs to 64 bit. Really though the developer of your plugins probably has a 64 bit version - you should research that.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

Mylor

23 Oct 2017

musicman691 wrote:
23 Oct 2017
You can use j-bridge to wrap those 32 bit plugs to 64 bit. Really though the developer of your plugins probably has a 64 bit version - you should research that.
Thanks for the tip, but I already researched this as Reason 9.5 was released - there will probably never be a 64bit plugin from Adam Szabo and I want to avoid the use of an external wrapper like j-bridge.
I tried it already and with a few plugins I got sometimes graphical artifacts and several times the sound crackles and/or the parameters are frozen. Most of them work perfect - only the one I want does not.
I hope that an embedded wrapper with the ability to use 32bit-plugins in Reason would be more solid.
:reason: 11 / 160+ :re: / 27+ :refill: / NI Komplete Audio 6 / AKG C5 / Sennheiser HD 380 pro / Korg M1 / ... /
30 years of music making and still not finished ;)
no accounts @facebook, twitter, youtube, soundcloud, whatsapp, blogs ...

Jagwah

29 Oct 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
22 Oct 2017
Jagwah wrote:
22 Oct 2017

Hey thanks for the thoughts.

JPS Harmonic Synthesizer definitely offers some new methods there I haven't seen before, cool.

I made a thread a while back about this, damned if I can find it. Selig mentioned a method where you can start with the pitch wheel already at max or min value, and depending on your bend settings you can bend a certain amount of semitones to the centre, and then the same amount bending to the other end.

Automating the bend amount numbers would result in pops or some sort of click.

I really enjoy pitch bending and the smooth sound it has, but it seems we are limited when it comes to the range of bends without starting a new note.
I've been playing around with this this afternoon.

While I know it's not exactly what your request is, it's kinda cool. It's not in the current version of JPS, this is just a local test of a newly-added modulation ability to the bend ranges. I'll update the HS to 1.2 soon as, if I find no issues.

Play in stereo, as I've separated the two oscs with pan!

YT Text: "JPS Harmonic Synthesizer features a two way pitch bend range on each oscillator. The version 1.2 update adds the ability to modulate those values. By adding a Thor step sequencer you can program a different values for each gate (I'm using Last Gate here, as MIDI Gate ignores legato notes, whereas Last Gate responds to any keypress).

In the first JPS HS Combi, all four ranges are set to the same value using a single Thor sequencer. In the second, each range is controlled by a seperate sequencer.

Each note is played with a pitch-bend moving fully up and then fully down."

Edit: As you say, these methods do need a gate. Of course, the sequencer could be pre-programmed to run with synced changes too. The other possibilty is to set up the stepper on a keyswitch, so you can hold the note and change the range at will using another key (i.e., C0), while not having to retrigger the played note itself. Changing the range value does reset the pitch bend wheel itself to zero, though, which I think is partly what you're describing with selig's workaround (which I confess I'm not quite understanding based on your description ;) ). So unless the "double bend" is a considered a really cool side-effect, yes, you'd have to return the bend to zero each time.
Interesting stuff. That's really cool what you have done on JPS Harmonic Synth with the pitch bends, haven't seen that before myself. Be good to hear someone using it musically.

Lately I have been thinking I could just try and use portamento more, but also considering portamento can kind of get us to where we want in this task, it should be almost possible in a better way. I mean, to bend up and down various amounts from one note would need a bunch of automating semitone digits, that's a given, but to be able to shape the bend and have it bend smoothly between various notes, man that would be cool.

By the way Selig's method was a way to bend up or down two notes instead of the usual one we are used to. Rather than set the bend range to 2 semitones and bend up 2 semitones for example, you could use that same 2 semitone setting but start with the bend wheel automated or held by hand in its lowest position, therefore bending the wheel from there to the centre is 2 semitones, but then you can bend the wheel to its top most position allowing a bend of another 2 notes. This has the desired effect I am seeking, you can shape the bend and there is no need to restart a note, thought it's only limited to two bends. :)

Marco Raaphorst

29 Oct 2017

Or use a pitch wheel of 2 semitones and use the mod wheel to add another semitone. Great for real blues licks.

bik44

29 Oct 2017

I would like to see device that converts 16 cv gates into one cv tuned notes. I know there are some solutions but not that simple and elegant.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

Jagwah

29 Oct 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
29 Oct 2017
Or use a pitch wheel of 2 semitones and use the mod wheel to add another semitone. Great for real blues licks.
Hey cool I must try this later, thanks :)

Goodbye

29 Oct 2017

I'd like a really good note quantizer. Everything out there is very simplistic / limited: it all assumes you want to quantise everything to a scale spanning a single octave. I would like an RE that allows me to choose a scale crossing as many octaves as I like and quantize an incoming signal to that, for example:

- C 4
- E♭4
- G 4
- C 5
- F 5
- G 5
- B♭5

I have tried everything I can think of to get this working using existing REs and native devices, but I have given up.

kuhliloach

29 Oct 2017

Even one good virtual drumset, at the Toontrack SD level of quality, sound, and performance. Heck, maybe Toontrack should make it! Now at Reason 10 we're on the focus of instruments, and no 1,619 new kicks in a folder has not solved the problem. I'd be fine without any built-in beats--just a really good kit. I'm aware of A-list, BFD, and Reason Drum Kits, but it seems firing up a VST instance of Toontrack is still the winner.

ltbrunt00

30 Oct 2017

I would love to have a native RE scoring tool like Heavy-Ocity's Gravity. As much as I like Gravity I like having native in the box tools. Now that reason has VST I tend to always reach for an RE before anything else. NNX is now a distant 3rd after VST.

And no, I would not want some strip down 3rd party port of Gravity. A brand new tool designed from he ground up as an RE would be Awesome?

If the RE was huge and to expensive. I would probably do the subscription until I saved enough to buy it. When I say expensive I'm talking $500.00+.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

kungubu

30 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
29 Oct 2017
I'd like a really good note quantizer. Everything out there is very simplistic / limited: it all assumes you want to quantise everything to a scale spanning a single octave. I would like an RE that allows me to choose a scale crossing as many octaves as I like and quantize an incoming signal to that, for example:

- C 4
- E♭4
- G 4
- C 5
- F 5
- G 5
- B♭5

I have tried everything I can think of to get this working using existing REs and native devices, but I have given up.
PSQ1684 has a quantizer that spans as many octaves as you like...

kungubu

30 Oct 2017

By the way I really miss a low pass gate in reason. I would really like to see a stand alone RE low pass or dynamics gate with opto-isolator emulation - or as a part of a RE-synt (it would be a great addition to Resonans for example).

NekujaK

30 Oct 2017

Vocal synth similar to Vocaloid, that can sing lyrics and offers multiple vocal styles/voices.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

mooseharris

30 Oct 2017

Stomp boxes that look like Boss stomp boxes, in that grey plastic carry case that's been available for over 30 years. Choose which boxes, choose the order they connect up.

An SH-101, and a Juno 6, the best synths I ever had stolen/sold.

Over to Jiggery-Pokery...

ltbrunt00

31 Oct 2017

pjeudy wrote:
16 Nov 2015
YES...FOR SIGNAL !
But also this :
I would love to have purchases R10, was planning on it until the blamsoft devices went on sale, will get R10 for x-mas.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

TheGuyNotNamedBob

03 Nov 2017

Reason's Session View.

I just want a grid with loadable sample buttons, midi mapped to a launchpad. Nothing fancy.

• Information