:( sad face Kuassa creme :(

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gak

11 Oct 2015

I'm bummed. After using this for nearly a year, I've discovered an issue that is really annoying. Before I contact them, I'd like to run it by people here and see if they hear it as well.

BTW, soundcard/sample rate do NOT affect this here in any manner way shape or form.

We all love creme, right? It's a very good high-gain amp sim. Has a realistic feel. But when I bend higher notes (let's say a high E string upper octave A blues scale bend I get this bizarre artifact. It's a digital weird "ewwwww" thing.

Here is an example:

https://www.propellerheads.se/s/4o1E0xfk

The first example is normal. It's my line 6 firehawk (which I love BTW) for 4 bars. Then the second is the kuassa creme. ICK! Not sure how I never noticed it before.

Again, trust me, soundcard, sample rate DOES NOT MATTER!

Shokstar

11 Oct 2015

I was running a MalStöm´s Sinewave thru the Cremé AMP and the Artifacts are not audible. Maybe you got some aliasing effect´s during the record.

Can you share the Patch you used for this Sound-Example?

bpmorton

11 Oct 2015

to me the example still sounds a bit like aliasing. Electric guitar might have higher frequency overtones than the sin wave you used. It could also be having problems dealing with the bent note. Line6 Pod XT has issues like this with certain guitar amp models (I think the PLEXI.) Not the same noise but it will produce out of tune harmonics when you play higher notes on those amp sims.
Last edited by bpmorton on 11 Oct 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Shokstar

11 Oct 2015

are you using an D.I.-Box for your recordings?

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2015

I can confirm this on both Kuassa amps, and is not present/noticeable on the Line 6 or Softube/Props amp.
And I can also confirm that I REALLY need to build up my calluses!!!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

11 Oct 2015

selig wrote:And I can also confirm that I REALLY need to build up my calluses!!!
Lol, keep an old credit card in your pocket and press your fingertips to the side of it, thats what I do (when I don't have time to practice ;))

bpmorton

11 Oct 2015

I've had to switch back down to 9's on all my fender scale guitars cause I play more keyboards these days.

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2015

normen wrote:
selig wrote:And I can also confirm that I REALLY need to build up my calluses!!!
Lol, keep an old credit card in your pocket and press your fingertips to the side of it, thats what I do (when I don't have time to practice ;))
That is a great suggestion, can't believe that of all the guitar players I know that no one ever mentioned this before.
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

11 Oct 2015

selig wrote:That is a great suggestion, can't believe that of all the guitar players I know that no one ever mentioned this before.
Ha, they tell you everything about their amp and guitar model but never anything about the important things ;)

gak

11 Oct 2015

selig wrote:I can confirm this on both Kuassa amps, and is not present/noticeable on the Line 6 or Softube/Props amp.
And I can also confirm that I REALLY need to build up my calluses!!!
Will send a ticket.

jfrichards

11 Oct 2015

I've been getting a few variations on the weird aliasing artifacts from Creme and Vermilion for years. I often do a steep low pass filter on my heavily treble guitars, like the one built in to the Line6. Having real tube amps and all the weird noise issues with them, I just tweak around it. It's also a good idea to increase the midrange and bass frequency area so the artifact is relatively less. I don't know why sometimes it seems noticeable, and sometimes not.

gak

11 Oct 2015

Ticket sent. It's not really noticeable if you play lower notes. It's something they need to work on though.

Don't have any vst hosts on this computer so have no clue if the VST versions do it as well.

boggg1

12 Oct 2015

Aliasing, of course. That explains why I have to add a low pass filter. I thought it was me. Now I can Engineer around it like jfrichards and I'm happier to use a steep filter (which I normally avoid because of fear of phase issues).
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

normen

12 Oct 2015

boggg1 wrote:Aliasing, of course. That explains why I have to add a low pass filter. I thought it was me. Now I can Engineer around it like jfrichards and I'm happier to use a steep filter (which I normally avoid because of fear of phase issues).
"Phase issues" of filters or EQs are really only relevant if you use the same signal in parallel.

selig
RE Developer

12 Oct 2015

normen wrote:
boggg1 wrote:Aliasing, of course. That explains why I have to add a low pass filter. I thought it was me. Now I can Engineer around it like jfrichards and I'm happier to use a steep filter (which I normally avoid because of fear of phase issues).
"Phase issues" of filters or EQs are really only relevant if you use the same signal in parallel.
Indeed - something that helped me understand this subject is to realize that it is phase differences that makes filters/EQs work in the first place.
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

12 Oct 2015

I have had these aliasing issues as well. Hop Kuassa considers oversampling.

DC-9 Overdrive has the best oversampling: in 4 steps. Really cool device!

gak

16 Oct 2015

They said they'd look into the matter immd.

Social Exodus

21 Oct 2015

Any word from Kuassa yet?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

gak

23 Oct 2015

Just that they'd look into it a couple of weeks ago.

jfrichards

20 Dec 2015

Incidentally, the aliasing has not stopped me from using it every day or soured my love for these little beasts. A little 5K low pass and life is good.

challism

20 Dec 2015

I can hardly start the morning most days without putting a little lowpass 5k in my coffee.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

gak

22 Dec 2015

jfrichards wrote:Incidentally, the aliasing has not stopped me from using it every day or soured my love for these little beasts. A little 5K low pass and life is good.
Oh, you already have been here! Yeah, that is ungodly to me personally.

MarkTarlton

22 Dec 2015

I still haven't found a guitar amp simulator that does what a real amp does..I bought both Kuassa models but I rarely use them unless it's late at night and I need a filler/place holder before I can record a real amp. I like little amps and I have a bunch of em...you can find amps for as cheap as some plug ins.... having a mic and a room just makes my ears a lot happier :)

Marco Raaphorst

22 Dec 2015

recently bought this box:

super dynamic and great amp sim (see DI output, uses balanced XLR out!!) as well. I like software amp sims but the the feel and dynamics are often kinda "strange" :D

• Information