Selig Gain RE new version 1.2.3

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

11 Oct 2015

How about thanks to everybody and we can end this pointless bickering?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

normen wrote:
submonsterz wrote:then when praising people should praise the team as a whole yes not just selig but maybe a thanks selig and team or thanks selig and pitchblend for the fix .
if I do a job with someone they take the same credit as me its a joint effort not a sole venture.
People thanked Selig for the fact that he offered compensation for the problem - something that is solely his decision. In fact, if I wanted to be mean I could say Pitchblende made the mistake and Selig did the damage control - all the more reason to thank Selig specifically. That said, I am grateful for Pitchblende enabling Selig to put out such fantastic devices.
me too i own them all and i thank all of them.
even though fixes and updates make no difference to me as my res are in 6.5 and cant be updated or fixed now days.

challism

11 Oct 2015

submonsterz wrote:even though fixes and updates make no difference to me as my res are in 6.5 and cant be updated or fixed now days.
You only have yourself to thank for that! ;)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2015

submonsterz wrote:
selig wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
challism wrote:Care to edit your comment any more before I reply? I'm not here to argue with you. I think your post was rude. I think my post speaks for itself. I'm done.
you think rude i think correct .
Except it is not correct, because I code in XML and .lua for all of these products. So quite literally, I DO code. Now if you want to get specific and ask if I code in a specific language or not, go right ahead and I will answer!
:)
do you code in c++
and was the fix a fix that had to use c++?
and did you code the fix yourself or did pitchblend make the fix?
I do not code in C++, that is David's department. But not all bugs are in the C++ code, so not all bugs are fixed by folks who know C++, as C++ is not the only coding language used to build REs.

As for the your points being made here, you are making what I would call "Straw Man" arguments.
No one has claimed I code in C++.
No one has claimed the fix did not involve C++.
No one has claimed I was the one who made the fix.

To say otherwise would be disingenuous IMO.
I hope this puts the subject to rest.

That being said (and hoping to move on now), we could sure use the help of anyone who experienced this bug to test the fix - contact me if you are able to help!
Selig Audio, LLC

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

challism wrote:
submonsterz wrote:even though fixes and updates make no difference to me as my res are in 6.5 and cant be updated or fixed now days.
You only have yourself to thank for that! ;)
no props for not allowing me to transferre my re to my 7.1 account for that one not myself there either...

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

selig wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
selig wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
challism wrote:Care to edit your comment any more before I reply? I'm not here to argue with you. I think your post was rude. I think my post speaks for itself. I'm done.
you think rude i think correct .
Except it is not correct, because I code in XML and .lua for all of these products. So quite literally, I DO code. Now if you want to get specific and ask if I code in a specific language or not, go right ahead and I will answer!
do you code in c++
and was the fix a fix that had to use c++?
and did you code the fix yourself or did pitchblend make the fix?
I do not code in C++, that is David's department. But not all bugs are in the C++ code, so not all bugs are fixed by folks who know C++, as C++ is not the only coding language used to build REs.

As for the your points being made here, you are making what I would call "Straw Man" arguments.
No one has claimed I code in C++.
No one has claimed the fix did not involve C++.
No one has claimed I was the one who made the fix.

To say otherwise would be disingenuous IMO.
I hope this puts the subject to rest.

That being said (and hoping to move on now), we could sure use the help of anyone who experienced this bug to test the fix - contact me if you are able to help!
I'm lucky to have access to the re sdk and documentation along the line so I know what it takes no need to tell me there .

Majestik Monkey

11 Oct 2015

selig wrote:If anyone affected by this bug would like some form of compensation for their troubles, please contact me at
gilesreaves@seligaudio.com
to discuss getting a free license for any Selig Audio product that you don't already own. If you already own all of our products (and thank you if you do!), I will either provide a free license for the product of your choosing to another user, or give you a rain-check for a future Selig Audio product.

Please accept my sincere apologies for anyone affected by this nasty bug and for the chance to make it up to you!
Giles Reaves
Selig Audio, LLC
Here's my List of Product's i would like to be compensated with ' for the Trouble i ENDURED whilst my Machine CRASHED !
which took all but One Millionth of a second . . . But who knows what i could of wrote in that milli second?
as it wizzed past me, like my life was coming to an end & the four horse men of the Apocalypse had turned up ! / Gain 1.2.4 :mrgreen:
Ps it did crash my system ' & i am up for Retesting it ! / JpPropellaed Intel Quad core 8 gig Ram Win 7 Pro .....

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:
selig wrote:If anyone affected by this bug would like some form of compensation for their troubles, please contact me at
to discuss getting a free license for any Selig Audio product that you don't already own. If you already own all of our products (and thank you if you do!), I will either provide a free license for the product of your choosing to another user, or give you a rain-check for a future Selig Audio product.

Please accept my sincere apologies for anyone affected by this nasty bug and for the chance to make it up to you!
Giles Reaves
Selig Audio, LLC
Here's my List of Product's i would like to be compensated with ' for the Trouble i ENDURED whilst my Machine CRASHED !
which took all but One Millionth of a second . . . But who knows what i could of wrote in that milli second?
as it wizzed past me, like my life was coming to an end & the four horse men of the Apocalypse had turned up ! / Gain 1.2.4 :mrgreen:
Ps it did crash my system ' & i am up for Retesting it ! / JpPropellaed Intel Quad core 8 gig Ram Win 7 Pro .....
Thanks for the help, let me know what you find (good and/or bad) at gilesreaves@seligaudio.com.
Selig Audio, LLC

doctecazoid

11 Oct 2015

meowsqueak wrote: <snip> My apologies to everyone affected by this issue. It turned out to be related to a change in "undefined" behaviour in the SDK. The bug concerned has always been present in Gain, but was benign and therefore undiscovered until now. Version 1.2.3 involved an update to SDK2.2, and something changed with the SDK2.2 compiler in Windows that now triggers the crash on that platform. It's a bit nasty that it sometimes brings down Reason too - but that's what undefined behaviour means I suppose! I'm sorry to anyone that has lost work because of this issue.
I do QA software testing (among other things) in my day job, so I have a perspective on this.

If I understand correctly, the real issue here is that the Props made a change to the SDK. Compiled with the previous SDK, the Gain code had a 'bug of no consequence' (i.e. a bug that did not affect the behavior of the RE in Reason) and was thus never caught in testing. The bug became consequential when the SDK was changed.

I don't know how well the Props communicated this change in how the SDK handled "undefined behavior" to developers when they made the updated SDK available. But if it wasn't communicated clearly to RE devs, then I see this as a case of collusion: the Props are at fault for changing a fundamental bit of logic in the SDK, with regard to the handling of "undefined behavior", and not fully communicating the consequences to developers; and Selig got caught by this change because after the update to Gain was compiled using the newer SDK, Gain was not then loaded and tested on both the Mac and Windows platforms.

Word to the wise: if you are a developer of REs, and Props make a change to the SDK, you need to at the very least compile your RE with the new SDK and then check to make sure it loads into both the Mac and Windows versions of Reason.

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2015

doctecazoid wrote:
meowsqueak wrote: <snip> My apologies to everyone affected by this issue. It turned out to be related to a change in "undefined" behaviour in the SDK. The bug concerned has always been present in Gain, but was benign and therefore undiscovered until now. Version 1.2.3 involved an update to SDK2.2, and something changed with the SDK2.2 compiler in Windows that now triggers the crash on that platform. It's a bit nasty that it sometimes brings down Reason too - but that's what undefined behaviour means I suppose! I'm sorry to anyone that has lost work because of this issue.
I do QA software testing (among other things) in my day job, so I have a perspective on this.

If I understand correctly, the real issue here is that the Props made a change to the SDK. Compiled with the previous SDK, the Gain code had a 'bug of no consequence' (i.e. a bug that did not affect the behavior of the RE in Reason) and was thus never caught in testing. The bug became consequential when the SDK was changed.

I don't know how well the Props communicated this change in how the SDK handled "undefined behavior" to developers when they made the updated SDK available. But if it wasn't communicated clearly to RE devs, then I see this as a case of collusion: the Props are at fault for changing a fundamental bit of logic in the SDK, with regard to the handling of "undefined behavior", and not fully communicating the consequences to developers; and Selig got caught by this change because after the update to Gain was compiled using the newer SDK, Gain was not then loaded and tested on both the Mac and Windows platforms.

Word to the wise: if you are a developer of REs, and Props make a change to the SDK, you need to at the very least compile your RE with the new SDK and then check to make sure it loads into both the Mac and Windows versions of Reason.
This is exactly how I understand what happened, and I want to be 100% clear that it was MY call to not test on Windows machines, in that I was the only tester after the last change because of mistaken assumptions (which I have previously mentioned) made on my part! I now have access to a few Windows machines for future testing to avoid this very issue! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

11 Oct 2015

What the hell happened here?

Come on man! Let's do the happy dance!

Ostermilk

11 Oct 2015

gak wrote:What the hell happened here?
Well from what I saw it was somebody taking issue with a software company outsourcing its coders?

Blimey, the entire software industry wouldn't have got off the ground if that was ever an issue.

Selig Audio and Pitchblende have both turned out to be professional outfits who have both shown exceptional customer support since the advent of the RE format.

A mistake was made here by the vendor who has openly stated what went wrong and who has offered generous options of recompense even before any complaint for damage done had been made.

So who kicks up the biggest stink about it? Someone who it hasn't actually affected and is likely being less than honest about his REAL motive for trying to escalate this small deal into a big issue. Trying to deliberately diminish somebody on a forum because they outsource code shows a much smaller character than someone who mistakenly makes a small fix assuming there'd be no consequences by putting it out and then after admitting that mistake offers to put anyone who may have been badly affected right again.

Meanwhile, I'll be looking forward to the update in a few days, and although I've got a couple of projects that are out of bounds now for that small period I'm more perplexed as to why we can't roll-back to a previous version more than I am that one person can make a simple mistake as Selig isn't the first, nor will he be the last to put out an update that breaks some critical functionality or simply doesn't work.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

11 Oct 2015

"Ostermilk: One of the last bastions and hold-outs of common sense remaining on the Internet!"

This is the age of social media! We need to completely stamp that kind of logical, sensible, rational behaviour out!! :puf_wink:

Ostermilk

11 Oct 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote: This is the age of social media! We need to completely stamp that kind of logical, sensible, rational behaviour out!! :p
Yeah, I agree it's far better to hold on to resentment and make snide remarks at people you don't like for years on end than it is to have it out with them once and for all.

All seriousness aside though;

That's another thing I like Giles for, we've have had plenty of differences of opinion and heated debates over time but one thing is for sure he's big enough to take it if you actually level with him.

I'm certain we'll disagree in the future too but I certainly don't hold grudges and I'm pretty sure he has no ill will toward me either.

Life is too short. By all means hit each other with handbags at dawn but just remember to buy each other a drink afterwards. Job done... :roll:

:D

Wook

11 Oct 2015

Giles Reaves
Selig Audio, LLC
Very gentlemanly, Giles. This would be a perfect opportunity to be... well, opportunistic. Truth is, I haven't lost money because of the buggy Gain.

All the best.

Tincture

11 Oct 2015

Funny how the miserableness of another can make me feel better about the extent of mine.

Good job all round by Selig & Pitchblende

In terms of risk assessment (don't ask, it's the bane of my life right now) I think all foreseeable hazards were taken into account... an old checksum that became an issue in the latest revision isn't foreseeable IMO.

H&Safety jokes are always the funniest :lol:

gak

11 Oct 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:"Ostermilk: One of the last bastions and hold-outs of common sense remaining on the Internet!"

This is the age of social media! We need to completely stamp that kind of logical, sensible, rational behaviour out!! :puf_wink:
It's not as cool as your gorilla, but.....

GRIFTY

11 Oct 2015

Dude wtf don't be a dick. It's a simple bug, nobody has any right to a freaking interrogation here. Bugs happen act like a grown up

gak

11 Oct 2015

What part of happy dance do you people not understand????????? :mrgreen:

GRIFTY

11 Oct 2015

lol sorry. i don't have gain but i have leveler and de-esser. Selig products are exemplary!!!!! SELIG EQ FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gak

12 Oct 2015

:D

submonsterz

12 Oct 2015

Ostermilk wrote:
gak wrote:What the hell happened here?
Well from what I saw it was somebody taking issue with a software company outsourcing its coders?.
No totally wrong I made the point to begin with no one was bothering to thank pitch blend even in the thread after they even had came here to say it was fixed just praise to selig .... The rest was the lash caused by those that wanted to make a fight over it . So look how it progressed from the point I was trying to make then look at reply to see why that all came about and you'll see I have no problem with out sourcing etc etc. If people want to go getting all funny then ill say truth and ask truths and that's all that was done from my end. People just get on the wagon cause I questioned thier obvious religion.
It's nothing more than that. And I ain't got no problem with selig I have a problem now with the god like status everyone seems to put on him now from this.

submonsterz

12 Oct 2015

GRIFTY wrote:Dude wtf don't be a dick. It's a simple bug, nobody has any right to a freaking interrogation here. Bugs happen act like a grown up
No interrogation at all others sparked that.
I'm grown up my posts are grown up including my replies .
I'd actually say comming this late on not reading the whole thing from start to finnish and making the assumption I am a Dick is pretty grown up wouldn't you say ?.
Not once have I abused or called any one anything just talked and asked truths if that is not grown up well comming calling me a dick by saying im being one well personal childish assult on me and my character hmmm.

normen

12 Oct 2015

submonsterz wrote:And I ain't got no problem with selig I have a problem now with the god like status everyone seems to put on him now from this.
No, this isn't very grown up.

submonsterz

12 Oct 2015

normen wrote:
submonsterz wrote:And I ain't got no problem with selig I have a problem now with the god like status everyone seems to put on him now from this.
No, this isn't very grown up.
Nor have been the way you all swung my comment elsewhere ....
If you all don't like me my comments or my ways you got the ban button press it I'm done with most people in this community just like many others have done for the same reasons as me .. yes lots have gone because of the mentality here.

• Information