Orbis Wavetable Synthesizer Preview

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Lizard

06 Oct 2015

rcbuse wrote:
Dance FX 21 wrote:Synth sounds good from preview songs, but wondering if there'll be breakouts for each oscillator (post Filter/LFOs/Envelopes)? I tend to give each oscillator its own mix channel...
Just curious, what synth are you using that will allow you to get each oscillator output post Filter/LFO/Env ?
Lol! Yeah... this would require a synth with four separate Filters wouldn't it? Don't see that every day. But.... using IDT definitely not impossible pending how the developer put together the instrument. Control of one filter won't be much of a benefit with individual breakouts but... where you would benefit it seems would be panning, level and EQ of each OSC and allowing for different effects per channel. That could be cool in the mixer or together in a combinator.

Dance FX 21

07 Oct 2015

rcbuse wrote:
Dance FX 21 wrote:Synth sounds good from preview songs, but wondering if there'll be breakouts for each oscillator (post Filter/LFOs/Envelopes)? I tend to give each oscillator its own mix channel...
Just curious, what synth are you using that will allow you to get each oscillator output post Filter/LFO/Env ?
I have the Mixfood Unison which allows breakouts on the three oscillators and sub - all but the sub allows stereo breakouts before and after the effects (the sub only allows a dry breakout). The Little LFO synth allows mono breakouts on all four oscillators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

07 Oct 2015

Dance FX 21 wrote:
rcbuse wrote: Just curious, what synth are you using that will allow you to get each oscillator output post Filter/LFO/Env ?
I have the Mixfood Unison which allows breakouts on the three oscillators and sub - all but the sub allows stereo breakouts before and after the effects (the sub only allows a dry breakout). The Little LFO synth allows mono breakouts on all four oscillators.

Any IDT product can do it as it's designed to allow it and quite freely, depending on the designer's needs. The first four Combo organs do it (Compact/Conti/B3T/X~705). There's a specific reason I didn't allow it on the 310U, as it would have caused internal routing issues.

Ammo / Little LFO / Pulsar etc while they have outputs per oscillator, aren't really the same thing as rcbuse is suggesting, given they don't have filters, and that was his question. They are not synthesizers, they are [envelope-controlled] oscillators. ;)

Dance FX 21 wrote:Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, that's always good to know. I wrote this by hand using a proper computer.

Skrock
RE Developer

07 Oct 2015

This demo makes use of one Orbis. Used a Chopin midi file and recorded random controls as automation.

https://www.skrockmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/derekstrike
https://soundcloud.com/marcusbits
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

Dance FX 21

07 Oct 2015

The last comment in my message relating to the iPad is automatically generated - It really doesn't matter to me how a message is sent - I think it's surplus to requirements as most people have smartphones/tablets anyway - it's just a notion that IT companies have.

Regarding the Little IO, I shouldn't have included that as an example as it is an oscillator bank rather than a synth. However, it is good that breakouts are being considered for the Orbis Wavetable synth - whether or not they'll be post filter will remain to be seen. I'm not a developer, so I'll just wait and see when the device is in the shop. I will be more careful with accuracy regarding my posts in future.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dance FX 21 on 07 Oct 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Dance FX 21

07 Oct 2015

M.B wrote:This demo makes use of one Orbis. Used a Chopin midi file and recorded random controls as automation.

Must have a listen tonight...

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

K1TTENM1TTEN

07 Oct 2015

I am stoked about this! I love the clean layout, it reminds me a lot of if Korg, Access, and Oberheim had a bizarre, yet cute, love baby. The only additional thing I would personally love to see on this would have a dedicated SUB OSC section. Either way, I can't wait to give this thing a whirl (especially if it is in the price range of Nautilus)!
Last edited by K1TTENM1TTEN on 07 Oct 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2015

If I didn't know, this (very cool) Chopin piece could have been made with Wendy Carlos' Moog Modular and not a PPG style wavetable synth. I have noticed Orbis is very warm for this style of synth.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MDTerps2015

07 Oct 2015

Listening to that demo on the second track, im almost bought. Very impressed by the sound and i call the sound SEXY.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Majestik Monkey

08 Oct 2015

:o Orbis Wavetable Synthesizer Preview

spot the difference !
Attachments
Orbis v1.png
Orbis v1.png (409.16 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

spacefarmer

08 Oct 2015

Hello Marcus,
when will we see orbis in the shop?

K1TTENM1TTEN

09 Oct 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote::o Orbis Wavetable Synthesizer Preview

spot the difference !
The lights for the "on/off" have moved location to the wave selection instead of next to the volume knob in the osc section. ;) Personally, I actually liked them next to the volume knob (the first post's picture) as it easily shows me which OSC lane is activated/deactivated. For what it's worth, having them lower just doesn't make a lot of sense to my eyes, as it would make me think that all it does is simply turn off the wave-form section instead of deactivating an entire osc lane.
Last edited by K1TTENM1TTEN on 09 Oct 2015, edited 1 time in total.

K1TTENM1TTEN

09 Oct 2015

Of course, I also have no idea how this synth is rigged to work, so the osc section may still very well work without the need of the wave-shape area, and the wave-shape area may just act as only a modifier for the osc, at which point that makes since to move the on/off to the wave-shape area if that is what it was actually toggling in the first place. (Please pardon my entirely too long sentence, lol)

Nirude

13 Oct 2015

any updates? would love to hear... some new demos :)
3d man.

Skrock
RE Developer

14 Oct 2015

Nirude wrote:any updates? would love to hear... some new demos :)
I'm working on a YT demo, got some great patches from the testers ! The synth is ready, final touches!
https://www.skrockmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/derekstrike
https://soundcloud.com/marcusbits
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

pjeudy

16 Oct 2015

Forum Tradition says you should start a new thread.... and let the preview fade away slowly into the sunset :-)
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

jfrichards

16 Oct 2015

pjeudy wrote:Forum Tradition says you should start a new thread.... and let the preview fade away slowly into the sunset :-)
Go for it, I was just putting a period at the end of this thread.

pjeudy

16 Oct 2015

jfrichards wrote:
pjeudy wrote:Forum Tradition says you should start a new thread.... and let the preview fade away slowly into the sunset :-)
Go for it, I was just putting a period at the end of this thread.
I'm out and about on a cell phone right now....someone one on a desk top will do it :-)
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

• Information