A-List Drum loop Sequencer Idea

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
bpmorton

02 Oct 2015

A-List Drum sequencer.

My idea is for this device to play back sequences rather than audio loops of drums. The device could have 16 gate/CV's on the back that you could hook up to a Redrum, Kong, a bunch of NNXTs or anything else you want to bang out a drum pattern. Same kind of A-List pattern selection from the sequencer lane. This would be a lot more versatile than a device that played back acoustic drum loops only or loops of drum machines only. It would have a lot wider appeal because it would not be tied to any one genre.
Yes, we already can import MIDI files into our song but that is a clumsy solution.

ksailer

15 Oct 2015

I'm waiting for something like this for a long time...
I have a lot of midi loops that I can drop to the sequencer (then loop them via blocks)... however, looks like you can't replace a clip using drag&drop.

It would help a lot if there was a way to quickly replace a midi loop with the next one in a folder (like with presets).
Same as with your idea, which would mean we could select from a list of midi "presets" to load into the device which then just loops the clip automatically.
:reason: :record: :ignition: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :refillpacker:

Gardinski

15 Oct 2015

Isn't this already achievable with something like Propulsion? Obviously I understand that the appeal of the A-list REs is the fact that it's a pre-programmed library, but the sort of thing you're describing could be created far more easily as a Refill for Propulsion, if some developer had the inclination to do so. (A third party refill would probably be substantially cheaper than the standard $99 for A-List instruments too.)

ksailer

16 Oct 2015

Well, Propulsion is ok for beat loops, but what about modulation and other controls for sequencer loops, or different length notes... just generic midi data.
It's a shame we have a lot of this for audio data with Dr. Rex but not for MIDI data which would be simpler to mangle, speed up / down, transpose quantize etc. - I would really like a device similar to Dr. Rex where you could load midi sequences instead of Rex files and provide the usual midi gate/cv outs to control an instrument.
:reason: :record: :ignition: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :refillpacker:

• Information