Vocal and Song Stutters

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
The Real Deanc2000

28 Sep 2015

So, I'm going to be feverishly trying to finish my song for the Hydronexus synth challenge that ends Wednesday, but I have questions for all you guys in Reason land.

1)What's a quick and easy way to arrange a vocal stutter? I'm thinking load up the section of audio you want to stutter into an NNXT. Is this the easiest quickest way?

2)What about stuttering the whole song? IE the master track? What's the easiest, quickest way to do it? I don't have time to do a google search right now. Thanks.

PS: Can the deadline be extended to the weekend? Thanks. :D

D.

platzangst

28 Sep 2015

Well, the "quickest and easiest" way to do it would probably be to buy one of the REs that are built specifically to produce the stutter effect, such as Peff's Buffre, or OchenK's Glitch, Sononic's GSX... there's one by Quadralectra, too, I can't remember its name. These may not be free, but they would be quicker than attempting to chop/sequence samples in the NNXT.

For a master track stutter, place your effect in the master insert spot.

JNeffLind

28 Sep 2015

One surefire way is just to use the razor tool in the sequencer and copy and paste bits of a vocal where you want them. Decidedly labor intensive but I find myself doing this when I want more control despite owning Synchronous, Buffre, and Glitch. I love Synchronous and tools built specifically to handle stutters, but sometimes if you have a specific outcome in mind, getting your hands "dirty" is the best.

Lest you be discouraged, know that this is still incredibly easy compared to what it would have been like working on an analogue system and once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy to do quickly. Not as easy as just pressing a button on a RE, but like I said, more control which is super useful when dealing with phrasing of vocals, etc.

bpmorton

28 Sep 2015

The Real Deanc2000 wrote:So, I'm going to be feverishly trying to finish my song for the Hydronexus synth challenge that ends Wednesday, but I have questions for all you guys in Reason land.

1)What's a quick and easy way to arrange a vocal stutter? I'm thinking load up the section of audio you want to stutter into an NNXT. Is this the easiest quickest way?
Max Headroom would agree.

ScuzzyEye

28 Sep 2015

I don't have any more tips as to how to create the stutter than what has been shared already, but I do have a tip about how to sequence glitches. Often a glitch, such as a stutter, needs an extra beat, because it is causing normal playback to stop, and using audio that has already happened. I found the easiest way to do this, is to change the time signature of the measure where the glitch is to happen. If the normal time signature of the song is 4/4, change that one measure to 5/4, to gain an extra beat. After the glitch everything goes back to normal, and nothing is screwed up with the track's timing.

Jagwah

28 Sep 2015

I take it you have The Echo, so this video at 6 minutes:

Also, Ochen K's Glitch is only $9 and it's got tons of stutter stuff ready to go, and don't forget devices like this can be stacked for even more craziness.
I use it a lot but my first go to is always Sugar Bytes' Slice Arranger. I rarely use Buffre anymore not sure why, I would go to The Echo before that probably.
Then there is Quadelectra's Beatchop, the most under rated, least understood RE in the shop imo. It is my Golden Boy.
Using these devices as Insert FX on the master section makes for a lot of fun, but I find using them on different channels and getting intricate provides the best results. Also when automating, sometimes it's necessary to shorten the clip length just a fraction to allow the start of the next phrase to hit where it should without interruption.
Also if you have a good understanding of CV then loading samples from your song into Kong or ReDrum can be a delight with any gate triggering device.

IAMGOD

28 Sep 2015

platzangst wrote:Well, the "quickest and easiest" way to do it would probably be to buy one of the REs that are built specifically to produce the stutter effect, such as Peff's Buffre, or OchenK's Glitch, Sononic's GSX... there's one by Quadralectra, too, I can't remember its name. These may not be free, but they would be quicker than attempting to chop/sequence samples in the NNXT.

For a master track stutter, place your effect in the master insert spot.
I wish I had known about this before I forked over $300 for this Stutter Edit I just bought
Follow me on Instagram: Mr_Relevant
And live vicariously through me.

Jagwah

29 Sep 2015

IAMGOD wrote:I wish I had known about this before I forked over $300 for this Stutter Edit I just bought
Do not click on this link, just don't man... https://www.izotope.com/stutteredit

Gaja

29 Sep 2015

If you want it on the entire track, you can create an empty mox channel and automate its solo button to arrange for some stuttering.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Jagwah

29 Sep 2015

Gaja wrote:If you want it on the entire track, you can create an empty mox channel and automate its solo button to arrange for some stuttering.
This sounds interesting, things get messy for me in the master section sometimes with using crossfaders. What is a Mox channel, care to elaborate?

jonheal

29 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:I take it you have The Echo, so this video at 6 minutes ...
A great little feature of which I will have to try taking advantage! I dislike using canned loops on principle, but this mangles them enough (while still maintaining rhythm) to maybe get me past the "vanity" sticking point.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

IAMGOD

29 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:
IAMGOD wrote:I wish I had known about this before I forked over $300 for this Stutter Edit I just bought
Do not click on this link, just don't man... https://www.izotope.com/stutteredit
O-M-G!!!

I just bought this last week from guitar center for the full price. And the worst part about it is, its not even what I need because its only controlled by midi notes! :(

And they won't give me a refund because its opened software.
Im going to try to email izotope and see if they'll give me a credit. But I doubt it
Follow me on Instagram: Mr_Relevant
And live vicariously through me.

jonheal

29 Sep 2015

IAMGOD wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
O-M-G!!!

I just bought this last week from guitar center for the full price. And the worst part about it is, its not even what I need because its only controlled by midi notes! :(

Im going to try to email izotope and see if they'll give me a credit. But I doubt it
Not the most ideal outcome, but maybe you can sell it on eBay for a decent price?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Jagwah

29 Sep 2015

IAMGOD wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
O-M-G!!!

Damn dude good luck, yeah maybe Ebay would be your next best bet.

Jagwah

29 Sep 2015

jonheal wrote:
Jagwah wrote:I take it you have The Echo, so this video at 6 minutes ...
A great little feature of which I will have to try taking advantage! I dislike using canned loops on principle, but this mangles them enough (while still maintaining rhythm) to maybe get me past the "vanity" sticking point.
Use it on anything from vocals to a sampled backwards machine :thumbs_up:

Gaja

29 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:
Gaja wrote:If you want it on the entire track, you can create an empty mox channel and automate its solo button to arrange for some stuttering.
This sounds interesting, things get messy for me in the master section sometimes with using crossfaders. What is a Mox channel, care to elaborate?
A mox channel is like a mix channel but it uses advanced Reason 8 technology.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information