Favorite distortion units?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Favorite Distortion Units?

Battle-Axe Sound Destroyer by Lab:One
2%
Beat Crush 12-Bit Distortion by Nucleus Soundlab
7%
Blamsoft Distortion bundle (DC-1, DC-9, t00b)
12%
That Music Company bundle (T2, Mr Overdrive, Distort Chain)
16%
FutzBox by McDSP
11%
Mutagen Multiband Distortion by AirRaid Audio
3%
RPDistort by Rob Papen
11%
SM Tritone Multiband Waveshaper by Sound Mod
2%
GSX Graphic Shaper/Effects by Sononics Audio
No votes
Other
35%

Total votes: 122
lowpryo

09 Sep 2015

we have some threads going with some great discussions comparing and contrasting the various EQs and compressors in the shop, but there isn't a really thread dedicated to distortion units. I've been using Scream pretty much exclusively but I want to branch off and try other devices, and I wanna see what the general consensus is for the best distortion units in the shop. I'm personally looking for something that can really add grit and power without getting too mushy, which is something I wrestle with when using Scream.

For the sake of the poll I've lumped up some of the cheaper bundles. I also didn't include amp sims or many other units that do have saturation/overdrive/bitcrush features, but by all means mention them if they're your go-to device!

Pinkbox

09 Sep 2015

Pulveriser & Etch Red.

Exowildebeest

09 Sep 2015

Etch, by far.

lowpryo

09 Sep 2015

hmm, interesting! I guess I should have added Etch Red to the list. I only think of it as a creative device to get some crazy filter movement, but you guys actually use it just for the overdrive too?

Exowildebeest

09 Sep 2015

lowpryo wrote:hmm, interesting! I guess I should have added Etch Red to the list. I only think of it as a creative device to get some crazy filter movement, but you guys actually use it just for the overdrive too?
It has several different types of distortion, and they all sound fantastic. The downside is the high CPU use and the fact that it's a big device in the rack for just the distortion.

I wish they'd release a smaller, dedicated distortion unit.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2015

Softube Saturation Knob. Love it, can't believe it's for free. It can be everything from very subtle to really distorted. I use it all the time on drums and bass sounds.
Scream is great for a lot of things, but it's very much on or off with that device. Saturation Knob doesn't have to be that obvious.

Pinkbox

09 Sep 2015

lowpryo wrote:hmm, interesting! I guess I should have added Etch Red to the list. I only think of it as a creative device to get some crazy filter movement, but you guys actually use it just for the overdrive too?
I do! All the distortions are fantastic.

Tincture

09 Sep 2015

Going by usage I'd say mine goes something like Saturation Knob > DC-9 Overdrive > Resampler > Vermillion > T00b > etc

It's nice to drive filters too and besides Etch Red the D-Filter has a nice drop down option to drive the filter using the right hand knob. Still waiting to Try the new MS-20 one.

dvdrtldg

09 Sep 2015

Etch Red is great, for sure

I'm a big fan of RP Distort as well, took me a while to get to grips with it but I use it a lot these days. Also I love the preamp on Sononics Revival synth - you can route external audio thru it and get a beautiful toasty crunch

Not really "distortion" as such but I juice the input gain on the Synapse AF-4 filter all the time, and I'm loving the same function on the PMS-20 filter

Bonkhead

10 Sep 2015

Too bad I can't select 3 :(

challism

10 Sep 2015

Blamsoft Resampler should be in the list. I love that thing.

Also Propellerhead Audiomatic, as it has a few unique distortion settings (circuit, cracked, gadget).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Ashpool

10 Sep 2015

And don't forget the Faturator. Cool device IMO!
I would also like to mention that Synchronous and GClip can be very interesting in this topic.

My favourites on your list are Beat Crush and FutzBox.

selig
RE Developer

10 Sep 2015

Besides the Fuzzbox (the only device on your list that I use), I also love Saturation Knob (a LOT) and Pulveriser. I have honestly not needed to even trial any of the others at this time…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

boobytrap

10 Sep 2015

but never another like Scream4
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Ostermilk

10 Sep 2015

Mostly Mr Overdrive and Scream (still) for 'dirtying my whites' here.

TheFesta

10 Sep 2015

scream and distort chain.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

Exowildebeest

10 Sep 2015

+1 on Revival's distortions and the Synapse AF-4 input drive. I think I prefer the latter over the Saturation Knob. I find Softube's device rather harsh and more suitable as an acid-distortion on an 303 than as a subtle warming device.

Emian

10 Sep 2015

Tincture wrote:Going by usage I'd say mine goes something like Saturation Knob > DC-9 Overdrive > Resampler > Vermillion > T00b > etc

It's nice to drive filters too and besides Etch Red the D-Filter has a nice drop down option to drive the filter using the right hand knob. Still waiting to Try the new MS-20 one.
Do try the PMS-20 ! it has such warm sound, it's 99% sure the next RE i'm buyin' .

reading other comments, i really should use Etch's Overdrive more it seems... but as mentioned; the CPU usage; it leaves a mark when added to the rack, no mather what system.... (i had the RE with my old core2duo, but now with my i7 4790K it's still an RE that drains CPU & therefor mostly overlooked , unfortunately... at least on my side....)

i also love DistortChain (have the t2 Phaser too) but it looks like i should try Mr. overdrive as well .....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

joeyluck

10 Sep 2015

GClip! It is superb and only $9!

It's my favorite thing on the ABL3 (aside from using the built-in clipper). The bonus of the GClip is it has gain.

There's also D16's Devastor 2 on the way! :)

dhruan

10 Sep 2015

Voted fro Tritone but there are plenty of others, Scream4, Dynarage, Predator has an excellent waveshaper and also multi-distortion unit, Kuassa amps are awesome etc. I usually prefer more analog sounding distortion so that kind of rules out plenty of the more digital sounding FX units. But still... so many toys to play with. <3
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2015

kiloHearts Faturator and Softube Saturation find there way onto lots of channels for me.

dvdrtldg

11 Sep 2015

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Faturator? Maybe I'm using it on the wrong sound sources, but I find it way too harsh & buzzy. One of those all-or-nothing devices (the stereo widener is useful, but I prefer Mr Overdrive for that function)

Tincture

11 Sep 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Faturator? Maybe I'm using it on the wrong sound sources, but I find it way too harsh & buzzy. One of those all-or-nothing devices (the stereo widener is useful, but I prefer Mr Overdrive for that function)
I'm with you, I never use Faturator, I do think that distortion is a very personal thing though and dependent on listening tastes most likely. Being a young metal-head I found many of the 1st distortion devices to be way too digital for my tastes and had to wait for Blamsoft's series (incl. Digital Resampler) to get excited again. Scream was ok for many things but not really guitar IMO. Since then we have been rewarded greatly by a diversity of affordable distortion units and I have to say I really like digital distortion now (even tho' it's all digital anyway). I've just explored more, found more regions it can be applied to in exclusion or just bias. I had one guitar solo that was a dull dead thing. Couldn't cut the mustard. Bit of Redrock's exciter (at 6-8kHz, way beyond my normal ideas) and it was almost Jeff Wayne ;)

The biggest thing for me as a guitarist has been the Kuassa Amps... they really do sound great with their distortion, very 'normal'/analogue for me.

Scoobyman II

11 Sep 2015

For emulating classic guitar distortion I find Scream to be the best. It also can be used as a treble booster for Brian May guitar sounds. Here's something I did recently using Scream and the Vermillion mic and cabinets. Loaf of Bread Effects also includes Etch Red, and Polar.

Auryn

12 Sep 2015

AF-1 + Scream Tape is great. I find Scream works best with input material that's not too digital sounding. Otherwise it quickly starts emphasizing nasty frequencies. I also get some mileage from the kong's overdrive, and occasionally the Thor and Malstrom shapers.

The Etch distortions are getting a lot of mentions and deservedly so. Out of the ones listed I can't really choose between Mr. Overdrive and the Blamsoft devices.

Tritone and Mutagen were dissapointments to me, got on board the hype train but never use them, too harsh.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

• Information