Rotor RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Namahs Amrak

08 Sep 2015

Having just installed Rotor after purchasing for the greatly reduced price of $15USD, it's very impressive. Without doing much more than dialling in the horn speed (on 'fast') this thing makes music sound vintage as fuck. I always thought it would add something to the way I make music, but could never embrace the $50 price for what I considered to be a one-trick-pony. It might even inspire me to do less MIDI based music and actually record some guitar.

This is also going to be sweet patched into JP's Hammond emulator - the original Leslie speaker box was designed for use with the hammond organ, but used widely many years later by 60's psychedelic rock band guitarists.

Time to dust off the bong and make some space rock :lol:

My Words are my ART

am0eba

08 Sep 2015

Vocalists like Jon Anderson of Yes made some good use of it as well!

Agreed, at $15, it is a great deal.

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Namahs Amrak

09 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:Certainly a great deal at this price. Cool to see it as the top Rack Extension right now.
I think it was actually the Rotor that got me interested in upgrading to 6.5. Quite absurd considering it's taken three years to buy it, yet purchasing all other sorts of crap that I never use in between then (I have many RE's in my rack)

Screw this, I'm taking the afternoon off as of NOW, so I can play with this baby. No wonder I don't make any money with that attitude. :lol:
My Words are my ART

mbfrancis

09 Sep 2015

I paid $50 for it a year ago and it was totally worth it. Go through the presets ("Instrument Patches"), some warm full sounds, incredibly usable.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Namahs Amrak

09 Sep 2015

Goodness gracious, those organ combie's... if I had of known I wouldn't have bought JP's B3 .
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

09 Sep 2015

The overdrive on it's own it more satisfying than any other high gain guitar or distortion devices in my rack.

That's it, I'm selling all my RE's and keeping only Rotor.
My Words are my ART

Yonatan

09 Sep 2015

Agree, its a vintage saint. Finally got it an no regrets.

decibel

09 Sep 2015

i brought it ages ago for a lot more then $15, but actually only started using recently after it sat idle in my rack for eons

esselfortium

09 Sep 2015

Rotor is megagreat. I was in a similar boat, being interested but not enough to pay full price, but I got it in a black friday bundle at some point and I absolutely love it. It sounds glorious with Archtop and other mellow or acoustic guitars.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Rook

09 Sep 2015

I've had it for a while, since it came with the Prop's holiday bundle thing last year. But, honestly, I haven't used it once :oops: . I really need to check it out!

challism

09 Sep 2015

I've had it since December 2013. Paid $35 on sale. It was worth that price. $15 is a no brainer. If you don't have it yet, you should get it. I do enjoy this RE a lot, but I honestly forget about it most of the time. Shame on me. Probably because I have so many newer REs to play with. But I love the sound it can add.

One thing, though, you really need to dial it back so it doesn't make your track sound muddy. Rotor has a tendency to muddy things up quite easily, IMO.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Exowildebeest

09 Sep 2015

I reckon I should start utilizing Revival's rotary effect more as an FX unit, before I get Rotor. But Rotor will definitely stay on my radar.

Faastwalker

09 Sep 2015

Might have to jump on this at the current price. I tried it when it came out & thought it was pretty cool but wasn't sure I'd use it much so couldn't justify the price. Different proposition now though ;)

Namahs Amrak

09 Sep 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I reckon I should start utilizing Revival's rotary effect more as an FX unit, before I get Rotor. But Rotor will definitely stay on my radar.
For $15 presently, there's no better time to buy than now. As mbfrancis kindly pointed out, there are a lot of instrument presents, that take the value above and beyond Rotor simply being an FX unit.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

09 Sep 2015

here's some 'hour one' dicking around with only the Rotor patches for organs, and Rotor's overdrive on the shitty guitar line

My Words are my ART

KnowKontrol

13 Sep 2015

am0eba wrote:Vocalists like Jon Anderson of Yes made some good use of it as well!

_Dave_

hmm Vocals... I am gonna have to see how this works. Thanks for the idea.

am0eba

13 Sep 2015

KnowKontrol wrote:
am0eba wrote:Vocalists like Jon Anderson of Yes made some good use of it as well!

_Dave_

To get you started, Anderson used to run the Leslie fast, and they would mix it with a direct signal from the mic.

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

KnowKontrol

13 Sep 2015

am0eba wrote:
KnowKontrol wrote:

_Dave_

To get you started, Anderson used to run the Leslie fast, and they would mix it with a direct signal from the mic.

_Dave_
so it would be the first thing in the chain of effects? I am going to have to try it and see what its like... could be too weird for me, or it could be pretty interesting.

• Information