We need a basic Sidechain/Pumping RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

08 Sep 2015

Something super simple that did *one thing* well...pumping. Basic controls for shape, speed, "pump time" (e,g 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes etc.) and dry/wet mix. Done.

Synchronous has some good patches but it feels like overkill...I hope the simpler patches use less CPU.

Currently I'm doing crazy routing with the send from the Redrum kick going to a spider then going to different MClass compressors on each track, and I adjust the attack and threshold to taste by track. Works, but ugly. I wish basic LFO curves worked (like just using a Pulverizer with the tremor controlling volume) but they're not very musical for me.

Not sure I'd pay >$20 for this, if that. But they'd sell a ton, I'd think. Maybe just me.
Last edited by mbfrancis on 09 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

alex

08 Sep 2015

Well, on a second read, I realized that you already mentioned the pulverizer solution...

Something got me excited (like "Eureka!") and I didn't read entirely your post... Sorry!

:facepalm: ...

Carry on. :D
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

pjeudy

08 Sep 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Something super simple that did *one thing* well...pumping. Basic controls for shape, speed, "pump time" (e,g 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes etc.) and dry/wet mix. Done.
To translate your post into images...you mean this:

It's $15 right now
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

mbfrancis

08 Sep 2015

pjeudy wrote:
mbfrancis wrote:Something super simple that did *one thing* well...pumping. Basic controls for shape, speed, "pump time" (e,g 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes etc.) and dry/wet mix. Done.
To translate your post into images...you mean this:

It's $15 right now
Haha...yup. I think Waves has something, too. How hard could it be?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

pjeudy

08 Sep 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Haha...yup. I think Waves has something, too. How hard could it be?
I agree with you 100%
If I where a coder..I would look at all the Very useful VST devices ...and straight up rip them in to RE's, but with the explicit requirement to not only recreate there features into the RE format but also to make sure that I added one or more improvement or addition to them if possible.
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

ScuzzyEye

08 Sep 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Haha...yup. I think Waves has something, too. How hard could it be?
It's actually a device I thought about making. I wasn't sure how well it would go over, because it's also so easy to do with default devices, or at least Pulsar. So the answer is, not difficult at all, but it may not have too much of a market, and will definitely have complainers about "you don't need an RE to do this."

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2015

If looking to create a "pump" from a Gate then I would grab CV Mutant as that allows you to create an custom Env triggered by a gate. You have a lot of control over the way the Env behaves.

Once made it could be saved off as Combi

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

mbfrancis

08 Sep 2015

Benedict wrote:Once made it could be saved off as Combi
Nope, sorry, no combis. :) Must be a simple device with a few controls, that's the whole point. We all know hacks...

pjeudy

08 Sep 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
It's actually a device I thought about making. I wasn't sure how well it would go over, because it's also so easy to do with default devices, or at least Pulsar. So the answer is, not difficult at all, but it may not have too much of a market, and will definitely have complainers about "you don't need an RE to do this."
If you think about it. People who would complain about it being possible with other devices,thus making it unnecessary, would probably only do so on this forum.How many people would that be ? We all know that the entire REASON community was never on PUF or here.
I remember people saying that they can create there own Multiband compression with REASON native devices...yet we don't see a heavy request for those people to upload those combinators, we don't see those combi rated as best combi ever for example. And we don't see any type of comparisons, combinator Multiband vs what's in the shop (4dyne and now SPLEX Multiband Comp)

I have at least 2-3 ways that I like to set up a sidechain...but if you where able to make a single,small user friendly flexible device light on cpu...I would be interested. A little research would also probably be very useful...meaning I would look at this Kick device or any other one...and either replicate them or improve on them for the RE version!
Also I think that some on here know how I feel about UI design...that alone can make a simple device like that stand out! We have people on these forums that can help with that ! Nirude comes to mind.

pjeudy

08 Sep 2015

mbfrancis wrote: I think Waves has something, too.

I think KICK seems more flexible!

Viscor

08 Sep 2015

Route everything into one bus + automate the SSL fader + a lot of Ctr+C/Ctr+V.
You can route the leads and basses etc. to different buses if you don't want to duck everything with the same gain reduction amount.
This usually gives you the most control.

At least I do it that way. :D
Last edited by Viscor on 08 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

lowpryo

08 Sep 2015

I'd buy a device like this for the right price! I know some people are in love with their CV and clever routing but any shortcut I can take to not flip around the rack or create an automation lane, I take it! (maybe Reason isn't really the DAW for me? oh well)

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2015

Has anyone thought of drawing up a plan and taking it to Pitcheblende to see if he wants to make it with you?
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Reasonistas
RE Developer

08 Sep 2015

Figure has this feature built right into the mix section.
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.53.29 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 8.53.29 PM.jpg (288.37 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
IMHO, It would be great if this was incorporated into the SSL mixer (instead of a Re) with a turn on/off button on each channel.

Here is a super-duper rough illustration using Nicky Romero's Kickstart plugin.
propellerhead-figure.jpg
propellerhead-figure.jpg (74.86 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Also, I'm sure most of you know this, but here are two popular "work arounds" in case you missed them.

Selig's Send Ducker

Peff's Groove Pump Compression System
http://www.peff.com/journal/2006/05/15/ ... on-system/
ImageImage

mbfrancis

09 Sep 2015

How cool. That's crazy that Peff's blog post is almost 10 years old.

K1TTENM1TTEN

09 Sep 2015

I would buy it. It feels like this would be in that $9 RE category, and for $9 I certainly would throw a couple days worth of lunch money at it and eat a sandwich from the house. Side-chaining, although not difficult, is kind of a light kick to the groin area in terms inconvenience, especially when looking at the VST world and how it is available there, haha.

• Information