zero is spiking my cpu badly

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
VioletSun

07 Sep 2015

hi. i was amazed when i heard how great zero sounded but its driving me nuts all the spiking im getting. i keep hearing little very annoying pops and clicks on my modern i7 4770 16 gigs of ram. it spikes even whne im not even using any dsp bars. anybody else have this problem?

VioletSun

07 Sep 2015

im not sure its a spike, but the synth is making little pop and clicking sounds.

Emian

08 Sep 2015

i have an i7 4790k & 16 GB Ram & no pops here....
it is a demanding synth offcourse, but it sounds amzing too!

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

eXode

08 Sep 2015

VioletSun wrote:hi. i was amazed when i heard how great zero sounded but its driving me nuts all the spiking im getting. i keep hearing little very annoying pops and clicks on my modern i7 4770 16 gigs of ram. it spikes even whne im not even using any dsp bars. anybody else have this problem?
It is a demanding synth, but you shouldn't get spikes with that setup.

Blamsoft
RE Developer

08 Sep 2015

There haven't been reports of pop and clicking sounds. But I can try to help you find the problem if you email info@blamsoft.com.

TheGodOfRainbows

16 Sep 2015

I have a 5-6 year old first generation i7-960, and my current song project for the Zero song challenge has the cpu fully PEGGED 100%. You have pops and clicks? LOL. My song literally will not play, even if Reason is allowed 100% access to CPU, it's beyond choppy, beyond stutter. It's gridlock. And oh yeah, buffer size is maxed out at 4,096 ofc. And this is with ALL send effects and master section effects and compressor BYPASSED or OFF. But, I have a lot of synths going. I would like to know more about how a current modern i7 handles the same workload. Working on this song challenge has made me suddenly realize I need a new pc asap.

I know of course I can bounce to audio, but when I do that, i get confused and disorganized about how to tweak things as I listen. Do I tweak the bounced audio eq, or do I tweak the synth eq? And it's more mixer channels to deal with. But I digress. Bottom line is I need a new pc, and I want to know what to expect in performance compared with what you guys have come to expect with whatever CPU you are using. To what degree will a current i7 outperform my 6 year old i7? A major difference? Like will I be able to double the amount of rack devices I am currently able to use? To give you an idea of the number of "Zero"s and effects in my song, currently it's about 34 Zero synths :lol:, and every SEND effect used :shock:, and......yes more.....a few Audiomatics here and there as a buss effect :crazy:. But remember, while I'm working in the song, I have all the effects disabled, which helps some, but not enough to make the song actually playable. BTW, I have 16GB of RAM, plenty for today, and especially at the time of purchase. OMG I need moar cpu!

Arrant
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2015

34 Zeros? No chance on that computer. I have a much newer (albeit i5) machine with 16GB and can only do about 7-9 instances at 44.1k with normal audio buffers for mixing (say 700-1400 ms). This is with all inserts and sends enabled (for the song challenge, so plenty of FX). Zero is a DSP hog, although not as bad as my first impressions indicated.

Haven't noticed any pops or clicks though, as long as the DSP usage is somewhat under control.

• Information