Anyone using Snakebite

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
boobytrap

07 Sep 2015

Hi Reason users,

I'm looking a synth can make big fat lead and pad sounds. Like NI Massive. I know Snakebite isn't a wave table synth, but I'm expecting warm fat sounds like massive. Can anyone tell me about snakebite sounds. I cannot find any video about it.

Thanks.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2015

Sakebite is a character synth. You will like it or not. I kinda did but have too many synth already.

If you don't like Snakebite then Antidote (which I own but don't love, but everyone else does) has the bid Unisons, the new Zero can do huge pretty easily. Also don't forget Thor and Subtractor are very capable of being as huge as you want them to - with or without the red Unison fx.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Tincture

07 Sep 2015

I really think snakebite is underrated. It can sound so good in a mix. The 2nd arp in my latest Detunate is snakebite. I love it and at it's sale price... Happy days.

Dance FX 21

07 Sep 2015

Yes, I've just used it in my latest track 'Where did it come from?'. The track is in the music forum and after the initial percussion, the SnakeBite is the first synth that kicks in - the sound has a formant character.

Indeed, I've no regrets after buying the synth - you do need to invest time tweaking it to get the unique sounds. In hindsight, I would have used the Lectric Panda Spektrum and Skope to monitor what's happening the sound as you tweak. Do have the manual handy for parameter description too.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

eusti

07 Sep 2015

Fat is definitely not what I would call the sound of Snakebite... It seems to lend itself to sounding angry and pissed off best...
But I'd recommend testing it... Check out the demos here: http://www.dldtechnology.com/?page_id=187

D.

TheFesta

07 Sep 2015

I'm a fan of Snakebite - and agree that its underrated.
Difficult to describe as many of these audio terms like fat etc are very subjective.

There aren't many waves available (no saw either - standard waves shapes fade between what sounds like sine triangle square - but also has a morph knob which sounds a bit like a pwm but affects every wave)
Its not a bright synth but upper harmonics can come from distortion and the morph parameter.
However the distortion and filter interaction can make for interesting textures (the main character of this synth comes from the distortion and filter interaction IMO) you can get some nice aggressive analogue type sounds from this but then you cant really use the filter without totally changing the sound again - it could do with a second filter to combat this.
It can sound quite big/ powerful in an aggressive way - Good for buzzy angry leads, terms like squeally raspy waspy, it can cut thro a mix.
I would look at it as an old analog emulation. if your after modern Wave-table sounds like Massive then this definitely isn't the synth for you.
.. but i wouldn't say warm (again pretty subjective) - its probably closer to Tres than Massive(but its nothing like massive at all)

comparable to analogue mono-synths from the 80s perhaps in tone (it can do poly tho).
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2015

I use Snakebite from time to time but not so much for leads or pad sounds. I use it more for a distorted, gritty sound, mostly on bass or stuff that are meant to sound broken or screamy.
For big pads or fat leads I would say Antidote is better, at least if you want a cleaner sound.

boobytrap

07 Sep 2015

thank you all for sharing your thought's. :thumbs_up: I really wanna buy this one. not because of the sale but special sound that they mentioned. i'm looking fat leads and pads with bass.
but I almost forgot kHs One. which is made for Fat, Warm sounds.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

manisnotabird

07 Sep 2015

Not sure if this is a bug, or I'm just not understanding the relationship between the filter envelope sustain, filter tracking, cut-off and accent knobs, but with the filter envelope sustain set to zero the cut-off knob doesn't seem to do anything.

JNeffLind

07 Sep 2015

To me Snakebite is hard, gritty, aggressive. Kind of like the punk/metal version of a synth. While it's nothing like Parsec (kind of the opposite in terms of sound) I'd put it in the same category as far as doing one particular thing very well. If you want the synth equivalent of a knife in your eye or a jackboot on your neck, it's snakebite.

Tincture

07 Sep 2015

:o Heh heh, I do disagree :puf_wink: I know it's easy for it to go aggressive and harsh but it's also fairly easy to tame that into something nice and crisp IMO.

TheFesta

08 Sep 2015

manisnotabird wrote:Not sure if this is a bug, or I'm just not understanding the relationship between the filter envelope sustain, filter tracking, cut-off and accent knobs, but with the filter envelope sustain set to zero the cut-off knob doesn't seem to do anything.
Is it a patch using distortion? I do seem to remember the relationship of the filter and distortion on snakebite seem to render the filter pretty much useless once its being overdriven.

it could really use a second filter.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

challism

08 Sep 2015

TheFesta wrote:it could really use a second filter.
What about adding a second filter to the breakout?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mbfrancis

08 Sep 2015

eusti wrote:Fat is definitely not what I would call the sound of Snakebite... It seems to lend itself to sounding angry and pissed off best...
But I'd recommend testing it... Check out the demos here: http://www.dldtechnology.com/?page_id=187

D.
^ This. When I tested it what struck me most were the creative, unique, and powerful lead sounds. It does other stuff, but that's what stood out to me.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

K1TTENM1TTEN

08 Sep 2015

Here's the thing about Snakebite - In my honest opinion.

It is aggressive. Like, really aggressive. It is mean, snarly, and generally a fairly pissed off sounding synth. It has bite, bark, and attack. It is dirty, grimy, and distorted. It will almost always stand out of a mix. I would not say this is my "go-to" synth for leads, nor would I attempt to use it as a pad. Where this synth really shines is that it is everything that I listed above. It isn't cute, it isn't smooth, it isn't chip-tune-tastic, it is quite a bit of a niche-feeling synth, albeit it is very good at that niche. It is absolutely worth trying this synth out! It is not one you'll use on every track, but it is definitely one that you CAN use when need a sharp synth that cuts through the rest of your mix. I really enjoy the synth for playing around with some gritty bass-lines (very Bloody Beetroots sounding). And for $19, that's less than what it takes to pay for a date-night at Chili's, haha!

Based on your description of what you're wanting though, I would HIGHLY suggest saving up some $$$ and picking up Antidote. It is very solid as both lead/pad synth, very capable, and very much alike to Massive in that it sounds bigger and more modern sounding than what Reason has had for a very long time. It is definitely my "go-to" synth, and it is very easy to master. The thing I love the most about Antidote is that it has really nice effects built in, and you can actually turn Antidote into a multi-effects unit by plugging your other instruments/tracks into it's audio input channels.

Hope this helps, and again, TRY THIS SYNTH! It is a lot of fun :-D

pjeudy

08 Sep 2015

boobytrap wrote:Hi Reason users,I'm looking a synth can make big fat lead and pad sounds. Like NI Massive.Thanks.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/mixfood-orange/
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

manisnotabird

09 Sep 2015

TheFesta wrote:
manisnotabird wrote:Not sure if this is a bug, or I'm just not understanding the relationship between the filter envelope sustain, filter tracking, cut-off and accent knobs, but with the filter envelope sustain set to zero the cut-off knob doesn't seem to do anything.
Is it a patch using distortion? I do seem to remember the relationship of the filter and distortion on snakebite seem to render the filter pretty much useless once its being overdriven.
Nope, no distortion. When the filter envelope sustain is set to zero, the cut-off knob effects the starting point of the filter sweep (almost like it is functioning as a filter envelope amount knob), but once the decay section is over, moving the cut-off knob has no effect on the sound. In general, I find the whole relationship between the cut-off knob, the filter envelope, filter tracking and the accent knob unintuitive and unlike every other synth I've ever used.

TheFesta

11 Sep 2015

manisnotabird wrote:
TheFesta wrote:
Nope, no distortion. When the filter envelope sustain is set to zero, the cut-off knob effects the starting point of the filter sweep (almost like it is functioning as a filter envelope amount knob), but once the decay section is over, moving the cut-off knob has no effect on the sound. In general, I find the whole relationship between the cut-off knob, the filter envelope, filter tracking and the accent knob unintuitive and unlike every other synth I've ever used.
Yeah see what you mean.

The filter envelope amount seems to be way too subtle, its not affecting the filter enough. It doesn't do anything if you turn the cutoff right down (which is strange). It only seems to affect the filter cutoff between a small range.

Its even more noticeable because the filter cutoff knob doesn't actually do anything until its past the halfway point.

Think DLD have just updated that speech synth, so might be worth contacting them over this.

• Information