The PSDN CV Envelope Generator is in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
starship
RE Developer

04 Sep 2015

And I'm new to reasontalk.com!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/
psdn_env_front.png
psdn_env_front.png (77.7 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
psdn_env_back.png
psdn_env_back.png (64.53 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
It's a dual 6-stage nonlinear envelope generator (ADSR plus 2 delays x 2). The attack, decay, and release ramps can be curved individually. The 2nd envelope can launch and release from any part of the 1st, optionally adding to it to make more complicated envelopes. It has a lot of features, a full mod section, plenty of back panel inputs and outputs, including another link for chaining these devices together. Check it out! It's a pretty badass little envelope generator. :)

Here's my website:
http://alien-seed.com

It's been in the shop almost 2 weeks now, but I didn't have my launch organized and was unaware that this forum existed! So this is a late announcement. You can also call it the Poseidon. PSDN. Either way. It descends from a device coming out soon called the Kron.

Thanks!
Mark/starship (it's my steam handle)
Alien Seed Tech

And here are some videos. The first has audio examples:

This one has a run-down of the PSDN's features:

ahs

04 Sep 2015

the droning in the first vid is MY music (2nd half with KRON).
can u share (privatly) the setup ?

listen here

and here

etc.

starship
RE Developer

05 Sep 2015

ahs, you should try it out then! We do make kinda similar music! The way you said it though, to be clear, it is definitely not your music. It may sound like it. :) I love heavy CV modulation. I dig the drones.

Libraquaricorn

06 Sep 2015

Very interesting devices! I would love to master them and implement them in my production... There seems to be a bit of a learning curve though, so doing these videos is crucial to push these products, I think. I have a few cv-devices that I bought and ended up really never using because I just can't figure out how to. So, please make some more basic tutorials if you feel up to it, they can be important selling points, at least for me. The couple of videos you did I found quite entertaining actually, so keep that up. Next, I do like the idea of the in-device help section, That's a very nice touch. It will be interesting to see the usefulness of that in practice.

The KRON looks like the most interesting of the two devices, for me anyway, and I realise now that I will have to postpone trialing the PSDN until the KRON is released. At 39 spendolas the PSDN is not an instabuy for me, I'm afraid. It has to prove its applicability to me first.

Anyway, I hope you are successful with both devices because the do look great! Finally, when is the KRON set to be released and - brace yourself - will there be a bundle?

ahs

06 Sep 2015

@starship
@all

sorry for misunderstanding !!!
yes the music is YOUR music and not music from me !!!. (never thought about how my words could interpreted)
i am not a native speaker so i mean the music YOU make is kinda like "my" music !!!

i am in drones as well so i like your music on the first vid !!!

sorry for that, again.

starship
RE Developer

06 Sep 2015

@ahs
I figured! No problem. I just wanted to be clear in case anyone else reading that was confused. :)

@Libraquaricorn
Thanks! And yes there will be a bundle. And yeah, I think 39 is high for a 1U device. I priced it comparing to other devices' abilities and complexities. And because there will be bundles. And because I put so much time into it. :) And depending on how things go, I may also give a discount to PSDN owners to buy the Kron once I release that.

I'm glad you found the videos entertaining! That's good advice. I'll work on some more tutorials. The in-device help section is really to help users avoid what you described. I know there's a learning curve. I packed these things with features. And I figure who wants to read a manual? Though I did make manuals for both. :)

Yeah, the Kron I bet will have a wider appeal than the PSDN. So I started out making the Kron because I wanted better LFOs than what I had, and this is 2 years ago. I started the PSDN about 9 months ago as my first test of a derivative of the Kron. It's grown a lot since then (though it stayed 1U :) with much difficulty too, as far as layout goes). And somewhere along the line I realized how useful it was and so I tried to really flesh it out. So I didn't start out making devices thinking I would ever need or want this kind of envelope generator, but I'm so glad I made one!

I'm aiming to release the Kron by Christmas. Mainly I need to do some patch dev and/or get some patch devs to help out. So hopefully I will release sooner, but I don't really know for sure when it'll be ready. Soonish! :)

starship
RE Developer

08 Sep 2015

Another video, walking through the basics of using the PSDN plus a Thor and Matrix. Hopefully better video/audio this time.

dvdrtldg

09 Sep 2015

Having lots of fun with this one, really cool device and I think I'm going to be using it all over the place.

What's up with KRON though? is it going to be like a PSDN on steroids, or is it a completely different sort of device?

starship
RE Developer

09 Sep 2015

Sweet! The Kron is a mostly completely different type of device.

The Kron is basically a 4-LFO device plus a "grid" to combine them. With gate generators (for gates or quantizing), a simple envelope, and a user controls section. The Kron LFOs use a similar curve section as the PSDN but for the LFO phases. So it's a way to make complex waveforms using the basics, which include enhanced step waveforms plus 4 custom drawable waveforms. Most components can be gate-driven or quantized using common gate/quant channels. The LFOs and grid have high/mid/low shapers, full freq/phase/sync controls. The grid has various functions including sum/mul/avg, wide/narrow/min/max, loop, rand, and crossfading selections that use the crossfader. Plus it has a CV delay and an average-smoother. The quants work as gate generators and/or quantizers and are basically square-wave LFOs that can also use the curve sections. Tons of options. Mod sections for each component. Lots of back panel I/O and toggles.

So basically the PSDN does a whole lot that the Kron can't do and vice versa but it's a derivative of the Kron. They're very different sorts of devices but complementary. I find myself using both! :)

Bonkhead

10 Sep 2015

Congrats on the release, looks interesting.

First and major suggestion: give the gui more contrast.

I use low brightness settings for less fatugueing on my eyes and dark green/red on black isn't readable on my screen.

starship
RE Developer

10 Sep 2015

Bonkhead, are you basing this off the screenshots, the videos, or seeing it inside the rack? The bright colors are not reproduced in the videos, and I think there's no way for me to do so. Basically those reds and greens are single-pixel-width lines or fonts, and youtube, no matter how I record it, will turn that into half-as-bright colors, basically averaging them with the surrounding black. It's pretty annoying, and I just learned that today. :) ... that I can't do anything about it.

• Information