PMS-20 is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
nis

31 Aug 2015

She's furious, unstable, and ready to demolish your next track! Meet PMS-20 our latest analog modelled dual HP/LP filter based on the filters from the iconic MS-20 synth -- exclusively for the Reason Rack. Grab her now in the Propellerhead Store: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... lp-filter/

Features:

• 6dB/oct self-oscillating high-pass filter
• 12dB/oct self-oscillating low-pass filter
• Topology-preserving, zero-delay feedback loop with 4-X oversampling
• Rage switch for pushing the filter over the edge
• CV inputs for filter cutoff modulation of both filters
• Wet/dry knob for parallel processing

Faastwalker

31 Aug 2015

Nice ;) And only $20. Lovely GUI. Simple controls. Sounds pretty damn good to my ears.

Yonatan

31 Aug 2015

Love the way it looks, want to see it in my rack. This will be a buy some day soon.

Olivier

31 Aug 2015

Great filter. Used it a lot during beta. I like the distortion on the unit. I do wonder why in the end it was decided to not implement cv for the peak controls.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

eusti

31 Aug 2015

eauhm wrote:Great filter. Used it a lot during beta. I like the distortion on the unit. I do wonder why in the end it was decided to not implement cv for the peak controls.
I seem to recall a Facebook post stating it was deemed "musically not useful" after all...

D.

Olivier

31 Aug 2015

Yeah i remember they said something like that initially. I remember myself and others objecting to that. I didnt check if they stuck with that position but appareantly they did. I'm still puzzled how you can ever decide something not being musically useful. The most interesting ideas evolve when using stuff beyond their intended use... The thing sounds beautifull, i'll probably buy it when i get home tonight, but i really dont understand their reasoning on this...

eusti

31 Aug 2015

eauhm wrote:Yeah i remember they said something like that initially. I remember myself and others objecting to that. I didnt check if they stuck with that position but appareantly they did. I'm still puzzled how you can ever decide something not being musically useful. The most interesting ideas evolve when using stuff beyond their intended use... The thing sounds beautifull, i'll probably buy it when i get home tonight, but i really dont understand their reasoning on this...
I agree. If people who test it find it useful and it doesn't break anything, I'd probably leave it in...

D.

Andreas@Primal Audio

31 Aug 2015

Hello,

Just felt like adding a comment about the peak (resonance) CV inputs.

We were sceptical about resonance modulation but also open to see if it actually was an useful feature to include,
so we added them in one of the test versions and encouraged the test group to show us some useful scenarios/sounds with Peak modulation. We received very little feedback and what we did receive, didn't quite convince us that it was meaningful to include. If felt like a specialized feature that only a few poeple would use. Our philosophy when designing intruments and effect is that every feature must be important. You really need to draw a line somewhere, otherwise you can just keep adding more and more
features and you will ultimatly end up with an unfocused cluttered product.

But if we one day get a peak-modulation-epiphany and finally understand the awesomeness of resonance modulation, we will of course add it! :)

Hope this makes sense!

Br, Andreas @ Primal Audio

Exowildebeest

31 Aug 2015

I assume you can still control the Peak through a Combinator.

What I would find more interesting is an audio rate modulation input, like on Synapse's AF-4 :)

Heater

31 Aug 2015

Is there any chance of a full blown mono synth with this filter coming down the line at some point?

joeyluck

31 Aug 2015

Heater wrote:Is there any chance of a full blown mono synth with this filter coming down the line at some point?
If that happens, what would it be called?

If this is an emulation of the Korg-35, but named after the MS-20, what would the MS-20 synth be called? :?

Olivier

31 Aug 2015

Andreas@Primal Audio wrote:Hello,

<snip>
If felt like a specialized feature that only a few poeple would use. Our philosophy when designing intruments and effect is that every feature must be important. You really need to draw a line somewhere, otherwise you can just keep adding more and more features and you will ultimatly end up with an unfocused cluttered product.
<snip>
Hope this makes sense!

Ofcourse it makes sense. And i think its defenitely a good philosophy to go by. But to my taste, as it is the back of the device, you can also take it a bit too far :P
Instabuy nonetheless. ;)

Arrant
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2015

This will be mine

eXode

31 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:
Heater wrote:Is there any chance of a full blown mono synth with this filter coming down the line at some point?

If this is an emulation of the Korg-35, but named after the MS-20, what would the MS-20 synth be called? :?
The Korg-35 was a filter chip used in the MS-10 and first revision of the MS-20. It's likely named after the MS-20 due to the HP/LP configuration.

eXode

31 Aug 2015

I would love for the PMS-20 to have AUDIO inputs for the filter frequency modulation, similarly to i.e. Synapse AF-4 or Pulveriser. It's great for allowing audio rate modulation of the filter.

Marco Raaphorst

31 Aug 2015

works great on guitar as well. tried it after the amp

Tincture

31 Aug 2015

Just had a listen through the vid and SC demos: It sounds very nice!

I like the fact that the CV mod amounts for the filter freqs are on the front so that they can be automated; very nice. Shame there isn't at least peak CV in on the back... read the devs explanation but have to say I would use it (and do for D-Filter).

If I get this it will be nice to have a 6dB HP filter readily available (i.e. not through a synth). Some features that D-Filter by Codediggers has that this doesn't and I would miss are; the ability to control both of the filter cut-offs with one knob (i.e. preset the band wideness and then move the band as a whole); also, very importantly for me... I love that on D-Filter I can automate the Filter steepness to 'Off' so I can have it on the master bus and just switch it on for global sweeps etc.

Still this is modelled and I do like it's sound, and it's nearly 1/2 price of D-Filter. So no complaints.

TheFilterMob

31 Aug 2015

Very cool filter, sound nice and analogishly smooth!
I'm a Propellerhead for life!

dvdrtldg

31 Aug 2015

We were sceptical about resonance modulation but also open to see if it actually was an useful feature to include,
so we added them in one of the test versions and encouraged the test group to show us some useful scenarios/sounds with Peak modulation. We received very little feedback and what we did receive, didn't quite convince us that it was meaningful to include. If felt like a specialized feature that only a few poeple would use. Our philosophy when designing intruments and effect is that every feature must be important. You really need to draw a line somewhere, otherwise you can just keep adding more and more

But if we one day get a peak-modulation-epiphany and finally understand the awesomeness of resonance modulation, we will of course add it! :)

Hope this makes sense!

Have to say, I find this slightly weird. Peak modulation via CV is pretty standard on filters for Reason, and I use it all the time. Maybe I'm part of a minority there, but I don't see why an extra CV input on the back of the device would result in clutter & lack of focus.

I bought it anyway and think it's great, but cmon guys

Heater

31 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:

er... I don't know :)

LOL.

challism

01 Sep 2015

Hope this makes sense!

I was one of the beta testers asking for more CV. I think every control on this filter should have had a CV input. Why not? Why limit your customers? CV is what makes Reason so different than other DAWs, so why not embrace it? This is a very simple unit, which doesn't have a lot of knobs, so putting CV ins for each knob wouldn't really be overkilling anything. I still don't understand why you guys decided against the peak CV in. That one at the very least seems like a no-brainer. But it isn't my company and it isn't my decision.

In the end, you still have a really nice filter, which I do appreciate. And it can be put into a combinator and routed thru the CV that way, so that's cool, too.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eusti

01 Sep 2015

challism wrote:

Hope this makes sense!

I was one of the beta testers asking for more CV. I think every control on this filter should have had a CV input. Why not? Why limit your customers? CV is what makes Reason so different than other DAWs, so why not embrace it? This is a very simple unit, which doesn't have a lot of knobs, so putting CV ins for each knob wouldn't really be overkilling anything. I still don't understand why you guys decided against the peak CV in. That one at the very least seems like a no-brainer. But it isn't my company and it isn't my decision.

In the end, you still have a really nice filter, which I do appreciate. And it can be put into a combinator and routed thru the CV that way, so that's cool, too.
Completely agree on all accounts. I'd always err on the side of more CV controls, but that's just me... ;)

D.

dvdrtldg

01 Sep 2015

Nothing personal against the developer, but I sort of feel like there's a bit of snooty attitude behind the assumption that certain features are objectively not "meaningful" or "important". Guess what: if someone's into it, then it's meaningful and important

challism

01 Sep 2015

And if it's meaningful and important to potential customers, it should be meaningful and important to a developer... because that means money.... and money is meaning and important to business. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

geronimo

01 Sep 2015

Bah precisely: what is the use of the "Auto" button :?:

• Information