Retrials of Rack Extensions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Yonatan

29 Aug 2015

Every new year, would not it be nice if we all could have just 1 day free trial with all RE:s that we allready have tested?

Along with the developers updates of their RE:s and as we users evolve and learn and develop our skills,
taste and way of working, have not you also wished you could have just 1 day retrial?

Memory is not always good enough to trust last years ears. 30 days is very generous but how everyday life often sweep one off the ground and suddenly you barely worked more than the first hour with the new RE. Yes, nowadays I do barely push the "try"-button because when later there is a sale, I might want to try several at a time to compare them alongside me needs and on same song.
Or the developers could have a good-will-gift of 1 day trial for each major sale (maybe 3 times a year).

Or what are your thoughts on this matter? You have some other ideas?

jivemaster

01 Sep 2015

A retrial was actually done once for an RE, but I can't remember which one. It was talked about in the Rack Extensionists Facebook group a while back.

A retrial of an RE would be a welcome feature - especially if a dev drops a major update and wants people to give it another go. I'd say it'd be something left up to individual devs though and not a blanket policy across the props store.

joeyluck

01 Sep 2015

There have been several.
It sounds like it is a bit of a pain at the moment to achieve, but at a developer's request, it can be done by Propellerhead.
They are typically requested by a developer when there are significant fixes or updates to the device. Which makes sense.
Hopefully this process can be made easier for the developers. But I think it is best that it is similar to the way it is now—with the decision being left in the developers' hands.

If there's anything in particular you would like to try again, and have good reasoning to present why that should be made possible—contact that developer.

As far as trying again a plugin that has not changed significantly or at all—I am all about the 'pay to trial' idea.
'REnting' as it were. Users have more than one reason to do this and I think it would be great. Whether you're venturing to buy and need to retrial or looking to collaborate with a friend who owns a RE that you have tried and don't wish to buy, but need to use for that project...
And it would be an option available at the consent of each developer for each of their REs (the decision to allow or disallow REnting for a particular RE). The 30 day model is already there. If you use up your free 30 days, you can pay for another 30 days. Price would also set by developer if they decide to allow the option for a particular RE.

• Information