Urban Bangers

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MDTerps2015

27 Aug 2015

Oberon or Zero??? Im buying one but im waiting for the response that gives me the answers to urban basses and leads. Be honest if niether one answers that question then so be it. holla back !!!!!!!
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2015

Any synth can do any sound, given the right programming. You don't need a new synth.

That said if you really think a synth will add to your life (and it can) then between Oberon and Zero you have a tough choice as both offer a lot of depth.

I Beta'd Oberon and made a lot of patches. I also wrote a supporting Tutorial. I was (and stay) very impressed.

So, that said, I feel bad to say that if I had to choose a 2nd synth right now (Thor is always #1) even Parsec has slipped after making my Comp entry as Zero covers so much ground so elegantly that it is a superb buy - if you learn to program it (which is not as hard as you think - see my Tutorial on Digital synths).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MDTerps2015

27 Aug 2015

Boy you know who can count on when a question asked. Benedict has been a library of information for me. I dont know if i run to Benedict or Hydlide more. The only difference is Benedict my man will come direct. Thx Benedict and i agree but i dont want all the programming lol working sixty hours a week. I mean something as easy as my favorite the Mixfood but a tad bit more versatility. I like programing Polysix and Monopoly because it simple but not as flexible. So ok from Facebook to here, its 2-1 Oberon over Zero. I will give it 24 more hours and then BUY whichever. People keep asking me to just trial them. I just cant right now being as busy and wasting a trial that i may be able to use later.

challism

28 Aug 2015

That's a really tough call. I own both and love them both. I recommend buying both! ha ha ha
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eXode

28 Aug 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Boy you know who can count on when a question asked. Benedict has been a library of information for me. I dont know if i run to Benedict or Hydlide more. The only difference is Benedict my man will come direct. Thx Benedict and i agree but i dont want all the programming lol working sixty hours a week. I mean something as easy as my favorite the Mixfood but a tad bit more versatility. I like programing Polysix and Monopoly because it simple but not as flexible. So ok from Facebook to here, its 2-1 Oberon over Zero. I will give it 24 more hours and then BUY whichever. People keep asking me to just trial them. I just cant right now being as busy and wasting a trial that i may be able to use later.
Why do you need to buy one of them if you don't even have time to trial properly? It seems like a rushed decision imho. Wait till you have time to trial them both instead to be sure that you make the right choice. I'd get Zero, but I still recommend that you trial them. :)

X1Lo

28 Aug 2015

I don't know if you would dig it, but DNA Labs is coming out with Hydronexius and it seems to be geared towards urban basses and leads judging by the demo tracks.

http://www.dna-labs-software.com/rack_extensions.html
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

MDTerps2015

28 Aug 2015

X1Lo wrote:I don't know if you would dig it, but DNA Labs is coming out with Hydronexius and it seems to be geared towards urban basses and leads judging by the demo tracks.

Yeah and i forgot about that. I may have to hold my horses until then. Its taking it so long to drop that i totally whiffed on that one. I will hold off on all of them until all four have dropped. Just looking for the urban style, if not dedicated to it damn near. Wobble basses do me no good and atmospheric stuff do me no good but the pads, basses, and leads all go well in hip hop and rythum and blues. Pop too. BTW after all is said and done i might just go with parsec which everyone has just raved about.

JNeffLind

28 Aug 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:
X1Lo wrote:I don't know if you would dig it, but DNA Labs is coming out with Hydronexius and it seems to be geared towards urban basses and leads judging by the demo tracks.

Yeah and i forgot about that. I may have to hold my horses until then. Its taking it so long to drop that i totally whiffed on that one. I will hold off on all of them until all four have dropped. Just looking for the urban style, if not dedicated to it damn near. Wobble basses do me no good and atmospheric stuff do me no good but the pads, basses, and leads all go well in hip hop and rythum and blues. Pop too. BTW after all is said and done i might just go with parsec which everyone has just raved about.
From what you've described as your goals, I'd steer clear of Parsec. It's amazing at what it does, but what it does is limited and specific. DEFINITELY trial before buying that one. My guess is that ten minutes with it would convince you that it is a million miles from anything urban sounding. I'd characterize it as glassy/ethereal/effervescent.

JNeffLind

28 Aug 2015

By the way, as for Oberon or Zero, I can't comment. I can only say that every time I purchase a new RE synth I end up comparing it unfavorably to Thor.

NaviRetlav

28 Aug 2015

In general I believe that Zero comes with a bit better patches than Oberon, and it's more flexible for regular EDM music. If you prefer the more experimental sounds, than Oberon should be your choice ;) Also, keep in mind that Zero is on the intro sale.

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2015

NaviRetlav wrote:In general I believe that Zero comes with a bit better patches than Oberon.
Would you like to step outside? LOL

Actually I didn't even check the Zero patches so I can't really comment.

Carry on

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information