ScuzzyEye MS-34 Chip Synth is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ScuzzyEye

24 Aug 2015

My second RE has just been added to the shop. This one is a monophonic, modular, modeled chip synth.
MS-34 110 Front.png
MS-34 110 Front.png (52.74 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
MS-34 110 Back.png
MS-34 110 Back.png (40.01 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Check it out!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/

normen

24 Aug 2015

Wow, congrats! Bought. :D

Exowildebeest

24 Aug 2015

What chip is it based on?

ScuzzyEye

24 Aug 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:What chip is it based on?
The Ti SN76496, specifically the variant that Sega used in the Mark III/Master System.

Exowildebeest

24 Aug 2015

Cool, I've always been a Nintendo wildebeest though, and with Ochen's chipsynth I'm covered for my NES sounds (mainly the unique triangle wave that I love so much).

But that special noise generator seems interesting, and the price is very nice :)

If only the stock markets hadn't crashed the day all these cool new RE's came out :(

ScuzzyEye

24 Aug 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Cool, I've always been a Nintendo wildebeest though, and with Ochen's chipsynth I'm covered for my NES sounds (mainly the unique triangle wave that I love so much).
I'll be up front, Ochen's Chip64 does include this chip. So if you're looking for a straight instrument that makes these sounds and have it, you're covered.

If you want a device that allows direct CV control over each the three tone generators, and noise, just as people who wrote music for video games did. The MS-34 offers that.

I'll also be releasing more devices in this series with the same design goal. CV control over all the programmable parameters.

Exowildebeest

24 Aug 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:Cool, I've always been a Nintendo wildebeest though, and with Ochen's chipsynth I'm covered for my NES sounds (mainly the unique triangle wave that I love so much).
I'll be up front, Ochen's Chip64 does include this chip. So if you're looking for a straight instrument that makes these sounds and have it, you're covered.

If you want a device that allows direct CV control over each the three tone generators, and noise, just as people who wrote music for video games did. The MS-34 offers that.

I'll also be releasing more devices in this series with the same design goal. CV control over all the programmable parameters.
Ah okay.

I've always loved the old chiptune stuff, it inspired me a lot when I was a kid, made me fascinated with electronic music, but the way it was actually made scares the crap out of me. Excel-sheet style tables of numbers. Note by note, pitch by pitch, volume by volume programming. And even with modern tools and sequencing, I've never managed to make a proper chiptune track. It relies so much on clever melodic programming with limited voices, that I simply lack the skill and perseverance. For now...

ScuzzyEye

24 Aug 2015

I actually prefer the "spreadsheet" method of tracking, rather than piano roll sequencers.

If there were about twice as many hours in the day I'd have this demo track to show, but here's how I'm working with MS-34 inside of Reason. See the different noise tones being triggered just like regular sequenced drums.
MS-34 Sequence.png
MS-34 Sequence.png (2.64 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

Majestik Monkey

24 Aug 2015

Love it Mr Scuzz ;)

Effectively a One Osc Synth ' with no needed extra's apart from CV ins . . . .

InavigableHeart

24 Aug 2015

The demo track for this in the propshop is superb... loving the bold sounds this thing makes, it's an excellent use of the device!

ScuzzyEye

24 Aug 2015

InavigableHeart wrote:The demo track for this in the propshop is superb... loving the bold sounds this thing makes, it's an excellent use of the device!
Every sound in that demo originated with the MS-34, including the percussion. Granted, a lot of effects have been applied to those native sounds. Simon Bader did an amazing job with that track, and provided, by far, the largest number of patches included with the RE (be sure to check the Rack Extensions patch folder for Combinators, since MS-34 doesn't load its own patches).

MassiveSoundStudios

24 Aug 2015

InavigableHeart wrote:The demo track for this in the propshop is superb... loving the bold sounds this thing makes, it's an excellent use of the device!
Thanks for the kind words :puf_smile:

Yes, as Scuzzy mentioned all sources in that track were the MS-34. If you're into using the Reason rack like a modular synth or into Chiptune sounds then this device is definetly for you!

Great job on this ScuzzyEye!

Jan 2004

InavigableHeart

25 Aug 2015

Thanks for the further info Scuzz/Simon. Crazy that even the percussion was done with it, wow. Will defo check out the combi patches and try it in some complex cv setups. I've never played with a chiptune synth yet so can't wait for the weekend when I get some time to take it for a spin!

challism

25 Aug 2015

Gotta love that wallet-friendly price!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Tincture

25 Aug 2015

Yup, great RE! Love the soundbank... really good. Here's a song file bassline with my own take (processing-wise too) of one of your included combis...

R7.1.1 and above
MS34Bassline.zip
(303.2 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

ScuzzyEye

25 Aug 2015

Tincture wrote:Yup, great RE! Love the soundbank... really good. Here's a song file bassline with my own take (processing-wise too) of one of your included combis...
This is a neat patch. A hybrid of modern sounds, with a tinting of chip tune peeking through at the edges. :)

One intention of the sound bank was for me to include really basic "have you thought about wiring it up this way?" ideas, while the other contributors came up with original sound ideas.

Tincture

25 Aug 2015

Yes, I can see that. When I start making my own patches (rather than just adding to those included) I'll start with one of your 'basic' frontline patches and go from there... rather than delving into the depths of the artist combis. Great value and good fun.

Majestik Monkey

27 Aug 2015

MS34 Techno Tune ,You will need Reason 8.3.0 No other Re's used !

It sounds fanchipytus :lol: Check it out Guy's !

Last edited by Majestik Monkey on 28 Aug 2015, edited 5 times in total.

chimp_spanner

27 Aug 2015

Dude, if you can do some kind of Megadrive sound-chip emulator, you can have *all* my money!! Anyway gonna try this out right now. Just when I thought I was done buying RE's.

decibel

27 Aug 2015

i'm trying not to spend any cash because i'll be traveling in a month from now, but i'm super tempted to make an allowance on this one ;) sounds great

Majestik Monkey

27 Aug 2015

decibel wrote:i'm trying not to spend any cash because i'll be traveling in a month from now, but i'm super tempted to make an allowance on this one ;) sounds great
Hi Decibel '

I bought it solely for the purpose of dressing it up with effects , i can't say i have ever liked any chip tune i have heard in the past,
but i have always liked the Raw Chip sound . . . its real fun to play with ,,, Ps have a nice time on your travel's :puf_bigsmile:
............. Check out that Techno Tune file i have uploaded Using MS34 If you have Reason 8 ! :puf_wink:
Last edited by Majestik Monkey on 27 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

decibel

27 Aug 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:
decibel wrote:i'm trying not to spend any cash because i'll be traveling in a month from now, but i'm super tempted to make an allowance on this one ;) sounds great
Hi Decibel '

I bought it solely for the purpose of dressing it up with effects , i can't say i have ever liked any chip tune i have heard in the past,
but i have always liked the Raw Chip sound . . . its real fun to play with ,,, Ps have a nice time on your travel's :puf_bigsmile:
thanks mate, its been long overdue, need time out yeah, too bad so many interesting RE's are being released at the moment, guess i'll just have to wait untill i get back huh :)

ScuzzyEye

27 Aug 2015

I'm so happy with all the love this little RE is getting. :)
chimp_spanner wrote:Dude, if you can do some kind of Megadrive sound-chip emulator, you can have *all* my money!! Anyway gonna try this out right now. Just when I thought I was done buying RE's.
That's the next one planned. ;) It won't be the next RE that I do, I don't want to be pinned down to doing chip synths. It'll be in the same style as this one, all the inputs that were available to the programmer will be exposed via CV.

• Information