Free update to T2 Phaser

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ffmusicdj

20 Aug 2015

Hey guys. A free update to the T2 Phaser will soon be available to Reason 7.1 and 8+ users.

Image :re:

A LOT of new things have been added. Let me go over the list for you.
T2Phaser version 1.4
- Soft Overdrive Mode - Overdrive had a softer tone to it, the harshness and overdrive have been toned down.
- Phaser Frequency interface - You can now select the min/max frequencies for each phaser (All Pass Filter). If you have eight phaser selected, eight bars will show up on the Freq interface. If you have 12 phasers selected, 12 bars will show up on the Freq interface. If you have 24, 24 bars will show up, and so on. Each bar controls the frequency of the phaser, the high and low. The lowest the frequency can be set is between 1 hz and 100 hz. the highest the frequency can be set between 650 hz to 65,000 hz. These settings can be saved onto the patch files. Old files will be compatible.
- Phaser LFO Meters - You can now view the LFO meters giving you an idea of where the LFO is positioned.
- Phaser On/Off button - A T2Phaser user was asking to put this in, simple button that turn the Phaser on or off. CPU is saved when the Phaser turns off.
- True High Pass Filter button - True HPF turns the HPF into a true HPF, cutting out any frequencies, where as before it added the dry signal frequencies back.
Input / Output Meters - display's the input and output Signal-to-Noise ratio in decibles (dB).

I've submitted it for testing. I've tried displaying the min-max in Hz-kHz but there is no space on that small display. There are too many frequencies when it comes to 48 frequencies displayed on the screen. Not enough space to type "Min 000.00Hz/Max 00.00kHz"

What do you guys think? Would anyone like to beta test? I'll send you a beta copy. PM me or message here.

Ronin

20 Aug 2015

oooh great to hear, thanks!

edit, it looks like you have really fixed a lot of the issues with the original design. good work :)

Bonkhead

20 Aug 2015

Yeah ! I would like to beta test this :)
Username: Bonkhead

I've also send a PM with more details.

challism

21 Aug 2015

Looks like some really nice additions. I own T2 and would be glad to help beta test it for you.

username: challism
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jagwah

21 Aug 2015

Not sure about changing the harshness of the overdrive feature when people have been using this device for some time now. Imagine if Props 'toned down' the harshness of Scream 4, it's just unmentionable.

You know the only requested feature I know of was to have the phase rate lower than 1/2, because lots of us want to phase slower than 1/2. Is this something to do with the new 'divide 8' parameter? Really hoping so, I do remember you saying you would implement a slower phase setting.

Olivier

21 Aug 2015

Jagwah wrote:Not sure about changing the harshness of the overdrive feature when people have been using this device for some time now. Imagine if Props 'toned down' the harshness of Scream 4, it's just unmentionable.
On the screenshot i see a soft overdrive mode button. So it may just be an addition to the original.
Its the only way to add these kind of features actually because you're not supposed to change the sound of a patch between incarnations of your device. As far as i know props will block the update if it did :P
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Jagwah

21 Aug 2015

eauhm wrote:As far as i know props will block the update if it did :P
Cool that's good to know :thumbs_up:

ffmusicdj

21 Aug 2015

Jagwah wrote:Not sure about changing the harshness of the overdrive feature when people have been using this device for some time now. Imagine if Props 'toned down' the harshness of Scream 4, it's just unmentionable.

You know the only requested feature I know of was to have the phase rate lower than 1/2, because lots of us want to phase slower than 1/2. Is this something to do with the new 'divide 8' parameter? Really hoping so, I do remember you saying you would implement a slower phase setting.
Propellerhead doesn't work like that, all my patches sound exactly the same. Everything is an addition. Nothing is removed from the T2Phaser. The Soft OD mode is off by default, its just a new mode, doesn't replace the old one.

As far as the slower setting you were talking about, that setting is already available on the T2 Phaser. You should be able to use it if you updated your Phaser now. This update is still being tested.
Last edited by ffmusicdj on 21 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Emian

21 Aug 2015

this update sounds great !! i have both T2 & DistortChain.

I'd be happy to take the T2 1.4 on a test drive :)

Username : Emian

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

ffmusicdj

21 Aug 2015

Sent! Man, I wanted Input/Output meters for so long, just really happy I got those meters working. It's so helpful to know what you're sending into and out of the plugin. I'm adding those meters to the Distort Chain.

Currently I'm working on a Distort Chain update too, I want to add these meters along with new effects and a screen that tells you what parameter you're changing. Been planning on making an update like that for a while.

challism

21 Aug 2015

The picture of the update shows a button that you would have to click to reduce the harshness. I, for one, welcome this features, as I always found the overdrive way too harsh.
Jagwah wrote:You know the only requested feature I know of was to have the phase rate lower than 1/2, because lots of us want to phase slower than 1/2. Is this something to do with the new 'divide 8' parameter? Really hoping so, I do remember you saying you would implement a slower phase setting.
Yes, that is what the %8 is for. It's kind of opposite of the x2 setting, in theory. So if you have the rate set to 1/2 (for instance) it will double to 1/4 with x2 settings and it will be slowed down to 4/1 with %8 settings enabled (if my math is correct).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jagwah

21 Aug 2015

ffmusicdj wrote:As far as the slower setting you were talking about, that setting is already available on the T2 Phaser. You should be able to use it if you updated your Phaser now.
Wow man I had no idea this update was available, thanks a lot for listening and implementing it! And a big free update on the way too, fantastic! :thumbs_up:

moneykube

22 Aug 2015

got T2… waiting for the update…. happy happy :mrgreen:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

mojo

22 Aug 2015

Same I own t2 & distort chain an I'm really happy happy with these upcoming updates. I'm happy with these rack as they are but free updates are always welcome.
Thank you sir

nikolafeve

22 Aug 2015

Thank you very much for this update!!
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

ffmusicdj

24 Aug 2015

Okay, someone asked that if you click on the frequency bars, it display the frequency, so I got that to work. the LR meters are more readable, and now if you click on the VU meters, they reset.

alex

24 Aug 2015

ffmusicdj wrote:Okay, someone asked that if you click on the frequency bars, it display the frequency, so I got that to work. the LR meters are more readable, and now if you click on the VU meters, they reset.

Hi thank you for the awesome update!

Do you think is it possible to add a "switch" to disable the LFO (or put its rate to 0) while mantaining the ability to sweep the phase knowb in order to employ the unit as a "tone shaper" or "creative eq"?

Thanks
Ciao
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

ffmusicdj

24 Aug 2015

Yup, you can do just that by clicking the "CV In" button and it will disable the LFO, then you can use the phase or rate knob or either CV controls on the back to sweep.

alex

24 Aug 2015

ffmusicdj wrote:Yup, you can do just that by clicking the "CV In" button and it will disable the LFO, then you can use the phase or rate knob or either CV controls on the back to sweep.
Wow! You made my day :puf_smile: Thanks! :thumbs_up:
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

moneykube

26 Aug 2015

not trying to bother anyone…. but how soon is soon? :P
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

ffmusicdj

27 Aug 2015

moneykube wrote:not trying to bother anyone…. but how soon is soon? :P

Just got an e-mail from props about small changes not related to any audio processing, just wrong labeling. I fixed those changes and submitted it again, I think they will get back to me today or tomorrow. So I hope to release it by tomorrow, before the weekend.

Final version looking like this.
Now when you select a bar, it changes color, helps you figure out which phaser you're changing the frequency of.
and you can reset the meters by clicking on the meters

Namahs Amrak

27 Aug 2015

You could have updated the 'used' look in the front panel. Sure it's quaint, but it's rather fantasy driven. This is software !
My Words are my ART

ffmusicdj

27 Aug 2015

You know, the Echo is a dirty looking device too...

On the sides and what not, it looks chipped and cracked, there are smudges on the device, and I looked at that and wondered why they didn't add more scuff marks on the front plate decal. I thought it was unnatural for a device to have scuff marks everywhere but on the decal and text.

IDK I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone's clean look, I just think it looks too unreal, too fake. For me, reason has taught me a lot of signal path I've used all through my life, it's like working in a real studio. But early on, Reason's rack view looked so clean, so fake, ie subtractor. Like, honestly, I never thought Reason was fooling anyone with that rack view, and when I looked at the Echo and what they were trying to do, I wanted to honestly go further than the Echo -- in terms of roughness.

I used the Echo as a reference for the Distort Chain and T2Phaser. I even went as far as creating the same decal as there was on the Echo. I hated it, it looked terrible. The outlines of each module actually used to be decal colored in like it is in the Echo. I removed it on purpose cause dumn that metal plate looks cool. I just liked the detail. I wanted that kind of detail in my RE.

If I was creating a real DSP device, I would most likely do exactly the same thing, find a metal plating that looked "used" to fit as the face of my DSP device. Maybe carve out a design for my knobs that looks clean and easy to read. I dislike clean apple minimalism look many developers make, it's just not "me," it's not something I would necessarily want to release.

Does anyone remember what the original T2 Phaser looked like? Instead of orange, it looked purple! It was a bit over the top haha so I toned it down to orange. Look if anyone has issues with reading text or not understanding what's going on, I think that's a real issue. I've fixed that in the past, and I'd like to fix it again. But for this series of RE's I'm working on, that "used" look is here to stay. My next set of RE's might not, but that's in the future.
Last edited by ffmusicdj on 27 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Namahs Amrak

27 Aug 2015

ffmusicdj wrote:You know, the Echo is a dirty looking device too...
Hehe, looks about the same condition as the original RE-201 Space Echo I have here at home. I don't miss lugging that beast around.
ffmusicdj wrote:IDK I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone's clean look, I just think it looks too unreal, too fake.
Don't mind me, I'm just being an asshole. I actually think your GUI designs are quite pleasing to the eye.

Well, until this phaser update :o
My Words are my ART

ffmusicdj

27 Aug 2015

I know you've kiding hehe I wish I documented that progress on my end just so I could show it. It did look bad.
Last edited by ffmusicdj on 28 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

• Information