CV Splitter Switch?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dioxide

16 Aug 2015

Are there any CV Splitters that work as a switch?

I'm after something like this that can split a signal with a switch, but this is a merger:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... cv-switch/

There are a number of devices that can split CV with on/off for each channel but I'd like a switch so it can be mapped to a single MIDI CC.

hamu

16 Aug 2015

If you cannot find anything really straightforward, here's one solution.

The ModSelsor can do this, splitting (or maybe 'distributing' is a better word) a CV signal to up to 24 different outputs.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... or-sensor/

However, since there's no switch widget (knob or similar) on the ModSelsor, you can only do the selection with a CV input level. To map this to a single MIDI CC, you also need a device that will transform the MIDI CC to a CV level. If you don't have any such device already, there are plenty of REs around, like any ModPanel, MatchMaker, CV Suite Parametrix and others. A free device like CV8x4 should be enough, as long as it accepts MIDI CC mapping.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/

If you want more details on how to set up a solution like this, I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Olivier

16 Aug 2015

You can build all kinds of switches with a Thor.
if you don't have that, i think https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... cv-router/ will defenitely do the trick.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Jagwah

16 Aug 2015

I can do it with Volt CB-1 and would be happy to explain if you are interested :)
Last edited by Jagwah on 16 Aug 2015, edited 2 times in total.

Olivier

16 Aug 2015

for example:
thorswitch.PNG
thorswitch.PNG (8.96 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
or use a rotary for smooth transition between 2 outputs.
thorswitch2.PNG
thorswitch2.PNG (8.48 KiB) Viewed 3516 times

selig
RE Developer

16 Aug 2015

This quite simple to create with a Thor using only these two Mod Matrix Slots.

You can go beyond that simple function by using a Combinator to create a Threshold Switcher, which will "throw" the switch only when a certain CV value/threshold (user definable) is reached or exceeded on a second CV input.

Check out my Threshold Switcher-CV here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4m2hb5l81170q ... b.zip?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

16 Aug 2015

Thanks for the reply guys. I was hoping that there was a simple splitter switch in the shop so I don't have to build something. There are so many mergers it's surprising a splitter switch doesn't exist.

Pepin's device is very easy to use but there's no way to map it to a single rotary, either by CV or in a Combinator. Thor looks like it can do a simple A-B switch pretty well. Modselsor plus a CV rotary looks like the closest option although ideally I'd need a CV rotary that allows me to cap the output so as to select between 1-2 or 1-4 outputs rather than all 24. Again, I don't think this exists.

Again thanks for the input everyone, I'll see what the best solution might be.

kloeckno

16 Aug 2015

dioxide wrote:...Modselsor plus a CV rotary looks like the closest option although ideally I'd need a CV rotary that allows me to cap the output so as to select between 1-2 or 1-4 outputs rather than all 24. Again, I don't think this exists...
No, that will actually work exactly as you want. Modselsor adjusts the range of outputs that it selects based on how many inputs it has! Hamu is a clever fellow. :cool:

hamu

16 Aug 2015

dioxide wrote: Modselsor plus a CV rotary looks like the closest option although ideally I'd need a CV rotary that allows me to cap the output so as to select between 1-2 or 1-4 outputs rather than all 24. Again, I don't think this exists.
Actually, the ModSelsor will adapt to the number of outputs you use; Plug cables to only outputs 1-4, and the entire span of the rotary (0.0V-1.0V) will be used to select one of the four. I.e. instead of using a rotary to specify the number of outputs, ModSelsor will do this automatically as you add cables.
Not sure if this helps you? :?

dioxide

16 Aug 2015

kloeckno wrote:No, that will actually work exactly as you want. Modselsor adjusts the range of outputs that it selects based on how many inputs it has! Hamu is a clever fellow. :cool:
hamu wrote:Actually, the ModSelsor will adapt to the number of outputs you use; Plug cables to only outputs 1-4, and the entire span of the rotary (0.0V-1.0V) will be used to select one of the four. I.e. instead of using a rotary to specify the number of outputs, ModSelsor will do this automatically as you add cables.
Not sure if this helps you? :?
Thanks guys. That is indeed very clever! Very useful.

geronimo

16 Aug 2015

challism

16 Aug 2015

Robotic Bean's Select CV Switch is great, and very useful.

There is also a simple A/B switch by pongasoft, and it's free. It doesn't slip CV, it only switches between 2 incoming CV signals, but you could probably use a number of other free splitters in combination with this switch, or the Robotic Bean switch to get your desired result: http://shop.propellerheads.se/product/a ... cv-switch/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dioxide

16 Aug 2015

Both of those switches are mergers though. There are a lot of mergers but I need a splitter than is also a switch.

challism

16 Aug 2015

If you need a splitter AND a switch, why not use a splitter, then hook it up to a switch? I guess I'm not clear about what you are trying to do, exactly, but it seems like a splitter switch combination would do what you are asking. I'm not sure why you want to split a signal, then have a switch between the two identical signals.

Maybe you could use Thor, as mentioned earlier. Thor is an amazing beast, which is capable of many things. Route the cv 1in to cv 1 and 2 out... boom a splitter! Then control them with a rotor knob... boom a switch!

And if there aren't enough routing options on one Thor, use 2 or 3 of them. Then put them in a combi and use the combi routing for the knob/switch.

Pepin

16 Aug 2015

dioxide wrote:Pepin's device is very easy to use but there's no way to map it to a single rotary, either by CV or in a Combinator.
If you have RVL-1 as well, you can do it with a Combinator. Here's a video I had posted to the old forum:

A link to the patch from the video is in the description. I've attached a more barebones patch to this post. Just use the FRONT-8 device as usual, and use the Combinator knob to switch between the inputs.

I've also posted a different type of switch here:
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 04&p=17589

Depending on your needs, you might prefer it.
Attachments
Mod Channels.cmb.zip
(3.48 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Jagwah

17 Aug 2015

Here is the idea I had with Volt-CB-1
Untitled23.jpg
Untitled23.jpg (234.61 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
The CV signal coming from the Subtractor would be your desired CV signal.

The second output port of the CV merger (1) is your first output.

The output port of the second Volt-CB-1 (2) (Volt-CB-1-copy) is your second output.

Map your desired key to Button 1 on the combinator, with each key press it switches between one CV being output, or both being output.
TRIGGER CV SPLITTER.zip
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

selig
RE Developer

17 Aug 2015

dioxide wrote:Both of those switches are mergers though. There are a lot of mergers but I need a splitter than is also a switch.
Do you literally need a device that is a splitter AND a switch at the same time, or a just switch?

To further clarify, and generally speaking…
A SWITCH takes a single input and allows it to be sent to any one of two or more destinations (one at a time).
A SELECTOR takes two or more inputs and selects one (at a time) to go to a single output.
The number of total available inputs or outputs is typically listed in the name, examples being a "2 way switch" (or A/B switch), or a "3 way selector", etc.

Similarly, a splitter takes a single input and allows it to be sent to multiple outputs SIMULTANEOUSLY, while a MERGER takes two or more simultaneous inputs and sends them all to a single output.

Both SWITCHES and SPLITTERS are considered a "One to Many" type router, while SELECTORS and MERGERS are considered to be a "Many to One" type router.

You can also have a "Matrix" type router, which combines many or all of the above functions in a single device.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Olivier

17 Aug 2015

You can also make a switch out of a splitter and two of those AB mergers/selectors using a combinator...... :puf_wink: and if you plan to use the switch via cv i think the combinator isn't even needed; just 2 AB switches and one spider cv merger/splitter.

hamu

17 Aug 2015

I can relate to the idea of having a multi output switch controlled by a single widget. In my case I frequently use this to e.g.switch CV control between several instrument setups, so that only one instrument at the time will receive midi note events. This is much more CPU efficient than creating all sounds and mute the audio after it's already been created.

dioxide

17 Aug 2015

:D

I need a SWITCH that takes a single CV input and allows it to switch between two or more outputs, but only one output at any one time.

It's easy enough to build something using a few devices but I was hoping that there was something out there that already did this. There are lots of mergers and selectors but nothing that works the other way around. It's handy sometimes to just be able to grab a device that does a single task.

My use case for this is having a number of kick drums triggered by a Gate pulse and switching between them using a rotary. So you only want one drum to trigger at any one time.

Jagwah

17 Aug 2015

If you have Black and Orange Revolt CV Processor it will do exactly this via its threshold switch, and you switch between the A out and B out. Sorry I didn't pick up on this earlier I suppose I have never needed to do what you are asking for. It's no longer available in the shop unfortunately. Nice to see you on the forum btw.
Untitled44.jpg
Untitled44.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

dioxide

17 Aug 2015

Jagwah wrote:Nice to see you on the forum btw.
Thanks, and you. I've been lurking here since the beginning :puf_bigsmile:

challism

17 Aug 2015

dioxide wrote:My use case for this is having a number of kick drums triggered by a Gate pulse and switching between them using a rotary. So you only want one drum to trigger at any one time.
A solution for this specific task might be to use Kong and load in you kick drums, then group them as alternating pads.
kong.jpg
kong.jpg (137.81 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Too bad ReVolt isn't available anymore. I often times kick myself for not having bought it.

dioxide

18 Aug 2015

The switching isn't for creative purposes (eg. random or alternating drums), I want to chose the drum only changing it if I move the switch. The drums are in a number of different devices, Redrum, Kong, NN19, sometimes even Combis or Subtractors.

One use for this is replacing Redrum drums with Kong drums and switching between the two.

kloeckno

18 Aug 2015

I'll make the exact thing you want with Hamu's Modselsor. I can upload it later today when I get back from work. It's quite simple, but there's quite a few CV connections to be made and several devices are required. But Modselsor is the only RE that is needed more than likely.

• Information