Step Note Recorder 1.1.0 Video

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

14 Aug 2015

Great update on a great device. Congrats.
ImageImageImage

raymondh

15 Aug 2015

Based on the feedback here from people who'se work and opinions I rate, I've pulled the trigger and bought the device!

challism

16 Aug 2015

So you've had a few days with it, raymondh.... what do you think about it?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

raymondh

16 Aug 2015

challism wrote:So you've had a few days with it, raymondh.... what do you think about it?
It's pretty good. The new 1.1.0 version is not in the shop yet, so working on the version that does not have per-note gate duration etc.

It is way more enjoyable to use than the Matrix. So much faster and in particular I like the MIDI step entry in the sequencer - my top Reason wishlist feature.

I'm unsure yet though how much I will use it in practice because I'm not able to make the tweaks to a riff I could do if it was notes in a piano roll. Great for instant gratification and playing around, but I can't yet see how I can build an arrangement around it, at least for the style of music I make.

If Props support "notes to track" and this feature was implemented in a future release, then this device would be a must-have for everyone as a great building block builder!

Early days yet and I need to persevere more! :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2015

Combinig with the Switch in a Combi makes it much easier to use for a piece. Still will naturally reach for Notes but making riffs in Step is a very 70's sor of vibe that doesn't come from a piano roll.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

raymondh

16 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote: making riffs in Step is a very 70's sor of vibe that doesn't come from a piano roll.

:)
Yeah this is a great point Benedict and something I am only now realising. Rather than trying to replicate what I do with piano roll, the sequencer inspires a different type of creativity.

I would imagine it is a lot of fun having parallel steps, or a step and a matrix, controlling different parameters at the same time so each note plays a specific note, duration, velocity,... along with filter cutoff, resonance, FX dry/wet etc. Could be really creative.

buddard
RE Developer

18 Aug 2015

Step 1.1.0 is available in the shop now!

dvdrtldg

18 Aug 2015

Awwwww hells yeah

And Select CV Switch gets a nifty little tweak as well!

Much appreciated, that's my morning gone

buddard
RE Developer

18 Aug 2015

raymondh wrote:Yeah this is a great point Benedict and something I am only now realising. Rather than trying to replicate what I do with piano roll, the sequencer inspires a different type of creativity.
Yeah, this is definitely what we were going for when we designed it, a "happy accident generator" for melodies, much like Euclid is a happy accident generator for rhythms. And you can combine the two if you want to make some really awesome shit happen! Just connect Euclid's Gate output to Step's Clock input and you're good to go. (I lost countless hours of productivity this way during the development of Step...)

If you really want to get your notes onto a sequencer track for editing, I think it's definitely worthwhile to look into the "Pitchblende method" of using MIDI loopback to record the notes to track. In fact, I think this method is superior to the traditional note to track since you can set up all sorts of crazy modulations/automations (and even live tweaks!) and get them recorded to the track as well.

Pitchblendes note-to-track document for Autotheory is probably the best description you can find on this workaround (for both Mac and PC), download it here: http://www.pitchblende.co.nz/AutoTheory ... -Track.pdf

challism

18 Aug 2015

Version 1.1.0 is in the shop now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raymondh

19 Aug 2015

buddard wrote:
raymondh wrote:Yeah this is a great point Benedict and something I am only now realising. Rather than trying to replicate what I do with piano roll, the sequencer inspires a different type of creativity.
Yeah, this is definitely what we were going for when we designed it, a "happy accident generator" for melodies, much like Euclid is a happy accident generator for rhythms. And you can combine the two if you want to make some really awesome shit happen! Just connect Euclid's Gate output to Step's Clock input and you're good to go. (I lost countless hours of productivity this way during the development of Step...)

If you really want to get your notes onto a sequencer track for editing, I think it's definitely worthwhile to look into the "Pitchblende method" of using MIDI loopback to record the notes to track. In fact, I think this method is superior to the traditional note to track since you can set up all sorts of crazy modulations/automations (and even live tweaks!) and get them recorded to the track as well.

Pitchblendes note-to-track document for Autotheory is probably the best description you can find on this workaround (for both Mac and PC), download it here: http://www.pitchblende.co.nz/AutoTheory ... -Track.pdf
Thank you! I'll check it out.

challism

19 Aug 2015

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Select CV Switch also has an update. It now has the "lock to transport" switch, which is a handy little feature Robotic Bean added. As explained on the product page: "Lock to Transport switch that prevents Select from forwarding signals while the main sequencer is stopped (Sometimes useful when switching free-running modulation sources)."

This could also be used as a non-switching application, turning Select into a CV signal stopping utility. For instance, if you have an LFO that you don't want running when the song is stopped, just run the LFO signal thru Select and turn the "lock to transport" switch on.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (116.6 KiB) Viewed 846 times

• Information