RE IDEA. Please somebody make it.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eustusmusic

04 Aug 2015

I have an idea for a rack extension that would make my life better. I've considered trying to develop it but would prefer if somebody else just took my idea and made it happen. I'm more interested in using it than making it. The idea is:

A step playback device.

Run mode is stepped by a single user definable note midi input.

You program in your note and gate sequence, then by hammering one key on your keyboard the sequencer steps forward through the programmed sequence.

Now, I'm aware that everything I've described so far is possible on Thor's sequencer, which is great if you want a sequence of only 16 notes.
The device I am describing would have multiple banks much like the Matrix sequencer. The behaviour of the sequencer after reaching the end of the sequence would also be programmable. i.e You set bank A1 to loop 4 times then jump to bank A2. Bank A2 is set to loop twice then jump to bank A3. Each step should have a behaviour option to determine what happens after the step. Each step should have options to send not only note and gate CV but also CV pulses out of rear outputs in order to enable/disable effects or other instances of the RE. There should also be a sync cable option to sync multiple instances of this device so bank changes occur on all devices together allowing the programming of multiple harmonic melodies. Not a lot to ask. :D

The RE, once programmed should in theory be capable of stepping through an entire symphony by simply tapping on one key on your keyboard. My reasons for wanting this are not laziness or inability to play a melody. I am wanting to trigger melodies in sync to drum modules that only output single notes per drum.

I will happily discuss further with anybody in possession of the mad skillz to wire this baby up. :reason:

TheFesta

04 Aug 2015

doesnt this already exist?

Sure ive seen this in the shop.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

TheFesta

04 Aug 2015

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

TheFesta

04 Aug 2015

bet you could trigger different patterns by having multiples in a combinator using a cv device

TheFesta

04 Aug 2015

Not entirely the same as you requested but certainly a good starting point.

MirEko

04 Aug 2015

Damn I forgot about that one..
Have to try/buy this :thumbs_up:
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

buddard
RE Developer

05 Aug 2015

Full disclosure: I'm the developer of Step.

What you describe above can definitely be done with Step, except for the pattern banks, but Step's companion RE Select may or may not solve that for you.

Step's clock input advances the sequence a single step, so you just need a device that translates MIDI to CV. You can either use another Step for that (with monitoring enabled), or an RPG-8 with the arpeggiator turned off. You can have two of those in a combinator receiving different key ranges, one for the clock and one for reset.

Using the Position inputs and outputs you can hard sync as many instances of Step as you want. (Check out the "Harmonic pianos" combi that comes with Step)

I don't have my computer right now, but I might throw together a combinator later.

eustusmusic

19 Aug 2015

Interesting method with the clock input. I will try this out, Thanks.

I've kind of rigged up something similar already using a mother load of Thors.
This has the same problem of not having banks though so you have the problem of halting the current sequence and beginning the next one.

I imagine this being a similar problem with Step. I solved it with a lot of A/B switches, but as soon as you get up into 8, 16... sequences the wiring becomes a mind melt. That's why Im looking for a banked RE to massively simplify the whole thing.

Any plans to add banks to Step?

eustusmusic

19 Aug 2015

...also, if you were able to trigger the reset from one of the steps in the sequence.

buddard
RE Developer

19 Aug 2015

eustusmusic wrote:Any plans to add banks to Step?
Not at the moment, because of limitations of the current RE SDK. But if adequate support for this is added in the future, we'll implement it!

buddard
RE Developer

19 Aug 2015

eustusmusic wrote:...also, if you were able to trigger the reset from one of the steps in the sequence.
You mean from a step other than the first in the sequence? You could accomplish this with an additional instance of Step that you slave to the original instance:

1. Create a new Step, let's call it Step 2
2. Set the length of Step 2 to at least the same as Step 1
3. Draw all the velocities of Step 2 to 0, except for the step(s) that should trigger the reset
4. Connect Step 1 Position Out to Step 2 Position In
5. Connect Step 2 Gate Out to the Reset input on the instance of Step (or Euclid) you want to reset

I hope this makes sense?

• Information