The best compressor.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Which is the most wanted compressor RE ?

Poll ended at 30 Aug 2015

FRG-4RE Compressor
15%
Softube FET Compressor
51%
C1-L1 Vintage Compressor
18%
DYNARAGE Tube Compressor
4%
DCAM BusComp
13%

Total votes: 55
boobytrap

31 Jul 2015

Hello reason users,

Please help me to find out which one is the most compleat and must need compressor RE.
Your cooperation will be much appreciated !

Still i don't have any of these. But i like C1- L1
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

normen

31 Jul 2015

To me compressors are somewhat like microphones, theres the right application for almost all of them. VERY hard to say which one would be "the best" - I try at least three different ones on each signal and I often end up with unexpected choices.

Kenni
Site Admin

31 Jul 2015

I agree with normen here. I see you have FRG-4RE in the list, but for me, all 3 McDSP compressors are nice, but have different applications. Ie. one is better for bus compressing drums and so on.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Jagwah

31 Jul 2015

270566_363353317083124_1476897741_n.jpg
270566_363353317083124_1476897741_n.jpg (35.9 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

motuscott

31 Jul 2015

WBL Non Scientific Visual Compressor can really pump the purple end of the spectrum. The WBL 5515 is another flavor altogether.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

normen

31 Jul 2015

Jagwah wrote:
Muhah.. Kinda funny cause Skinhead of Conner hated compressors.. Her engineers had to do everything with fader automation, she put a big sign saying "NO FUCKING COMPRESSORS" on their mixing desk ^^

Jagwah

31 Jul 2015

normen wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
Muhah.. Kinda funny cause Skinhead of Conner hated compressors.. Her engineers had to do everything with fader automation, she put a big sign saying "NO FUCKING COMPRESSORS" on their mixing desk ^^
Ha! Had no idea. The song still fits the FET whether she likes it or not ;)

esselfortium

31 Jul 2015

normen wrote:Skinhead of Conner
Is this autocorrect or did something happen :?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

hamu

31 Jul 2015

esselfortium wrote:
My interpretation was "incorrect on purpose" :puf_wink: :puf_bigsmile:

normen

31 Jul 2015

esselfortium wrote:
Dunno, ask her ^^

dvdrtldg

31 Jul 2015

normen wrote:
God that woman is annoying

gak

31 Jul 2015

Oops, got kicked out.

I like the first 3.

Yonatan

31 Jul 2015

Just that you can´t use Softube FET on every channel you want without CPU going crazy. But as an allround it´s good as it has filter and Dry/Wet knob, so it´s great on a drum- or vocalbus.

pLansford

31 Jul 2015

Different compressors for different things but I'd go with that Softube FET if I had to choose one from your list.

Theo.M

31 Jul 2015

off that list i would pick 2 - the softube fet for everyday duties and drum bus and the dcam bus comp for the master channel as it sounds just great on it - the reason i recommend it over the included bus comp is the wet/dry which can be very important depending on the mix. It's an early version of the glue which is my favourite bus comp of all time.

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2015

Compression and the various ways it can be used are probably about the most complex thing to fully understand in Mixing. That said I would suggest holding off buying any compressors till you have fully got your head around one. The included M-Class is a good all-rounder and so long as you won't actually die (I mean really die) with the slightly slow attack then spend a long time understanding and solving all your problems with that. Then you are far better equipped to choose the right RE for your needs.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

freeQlow

31 Jul 2015

Best compressor for what and why.... should be the question.

Would love to hear from the rack addicts

boobytrap

01 Aug 2015

thank you everyone for your support. I just bought C1-L1. Actually I really don't need a compressor at this moment. But I like C1-L1 russian voltmeter design,old, military and dirty. and so many functions. (So many Knobs)Not like any of other..it makes me feel better. No matter which way I use. I waited too long time for comp RE with transfer curve display. Because I'm not a professional. But I realize that will never happen. Wait is over. Thanks again for your kindly attention. All of you !

JesusChristIsLord

01 Aug 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:
normen wrote:
God that woman is annoying
This song by Sinead is one of the best ever written.

Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior :thumbs_up:

Theo.M

01 Aug 2015

boobytrap wrote:thank you everyone for your support. I just bought C1-L1. Actually I really don't need a compressor at this moment. But I like C1-L1 russian voltmeter design,old, military and dirty. and so many functions. (So many Knobs)Not like any of other..it makes me feel better. No matter which way I use. I waited too long time for comp RE with transfer curve display. Because I'm not a professional. But I realize that will never happen. Wait is over. Thanks again for your kindly attention. All of you !

lol why thanks when you voted against the significantly highest vote? I DO however hope you are happy with your purchase...

cl-l1 hasn't made it into a single project here since i first bought it on a red rock sale over a year ago. I have an extensively difficult time getting it to sound right on any source so gave up on it. let us know how it goes.

challism

01 Aug 2015

I love C1-L1, but it can be a little CPU hungry. I also love all the McDSP compressors, and they don't seem to use much CPU at all. They were a real bargain on sale at $49USD. I own both DCAMs, but I never (hardly ever) use them, they are also pretty CPU hungry. Haven't tried FET or the others in the list.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

boobytrap

01 Aug 2015

Theo.M wrote: lol why thanks when you voted against the significantly highest vote? I DO however hope you are happy with your purchase...

cl-l1 hasn't made it into a single project here since i first bought it on a red rock sale over a year ago. I have an extensively difficult time getting it to sound right on any source so gave up on it. let us know how it goes.
5 votes good enough to me, like i said i'm not a professional. i know Softube is the best in every ways. but i hate to bring this up, i waited almost 2 years for transfer curve Graphic based modern type Comp. (which like GQ-7 EQ with fully visual details).i always looking Hi-End GUI Re. which make me feel better first when i see it. secondly My ears..
the most important thing is all of your thoughts, VOTEs and feedback. it's better than compressor. thanks again !

Theo.M

01 Aug 2015

boobytrap wrote:
Theo.M wrote: lol why thanks when you voted against the significantly highest vote? I DO however hope you are happy with your purchase...

5 votes good enough to me, like i said i'm not a professional. i know Softube is the best in every ways. but i hate to bring this up, i waited almost 2 years for transfer curve Graphic based modern type Comp. (which like GQ-7 EQ with fully visual details).i always looking Hi-End GUI Re. which make me feel better first when i see it. secondly My ears..
the most important thing is all of your thoughts, VOTEs and feedback. it's better than compressor. thanks again !
How does a visual graph help you more than a gain reduction meter? I presume you mean a graph like the fabfilter pro C? Ironically, that is their worst plugin by far - it's a very average sounding plugin.. Point is, looks often means nothing.

Marco Raaphorst

01 Aug 2015

the RE-2A is my favorite. it's the best software compressor I ever used. and the Mastering Buss Compressor on the SSL is super too (I leave it on almost all the time).

Dante

01 Aug 2015

Mc DSP C670 - great on vocals... But not on the vote list ?

• Information