Expected REs in august

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
riemac

29 Jul 2015

Which new REs are expected after the summerbreak in august?

Any ideas?

TheMiles

29 Jul 2015

Maybe Ochen K's 4mer ? Its in Beta right now...

gak

29 Jul 2015

If someone doesn't come up with a new killer extraordinary guitar amp sim that is 20 times better than anything else Ima break out the wet noodles and slap someone :mrgreen:

joeyluck

29 Jul 2015

And it could very well mean September for these since we are just learning of them and some are in beta while much of Propellerhead is on vacation.

dhruan

29 Jul 2015

Red Rock has a new synth in the works...
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

MDTerps2015

29 Jul 2015

dhruan wrote:Red Rock has a new synth in the works...
Red Rocks new synth has been in the works for almost a year since its announcement.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Faastwalker

29 Jul 2015

Yeah, what happened to the Red Rock synth? Very interested to see more of this after Ivoks, which is very good I think.

challism

30 Jul 2015

Another fantastic synth from a well known (kick ass) developer is in beta and probably getting close to release.... but I can't talk about it yet! So sorry!! But I know you guys are gonna love it as much as I do! I'm having a blast beta testing it. I would be surprised if it wasn't in the shop some time in August.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eXode

30 Jul 2015

Faastwalker wrote:Yeah, what happened to the Red Rock synth? Very interested to see more of this after Ivoks, which is very good I think.
It's still being developed.

riemac

30 Jul 2015

challism wrote:Another fantastic synth from a well known (kick ass) developer is in beta and probably getting close to release.... but I can't talk about it yet! So sorry!! But I know you guys are gonna love it as much as I do! I'm having a blast beta testing it. I would be surprised if it wasn't in the shop some time in August.
I guess you are talking of one of the two synths in beta which are mentioned on Reasonistas. And if you believe Noel this two synth are not
4MER, Hydro or Red Rock. I'm guessing one of the two synths is a Spire RE.

@ Challism: Could you give us a hint if the "well known" developer is a first time RE developer?

ScuzzyEye

30 Jul 2015

I've resurrected the MS-34, chip synth. And while I've torn out just about all of the RE code (DSP code is pretty much unchanged) to update it to my better understanding and features of the current SDK, it should still be ready in early August.
MS-34.png
MS-34.png (53.2 KiB) Viewed 3050 times

thala

30 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:I've resurrected the MS-34, chip synth. And while I've torn out just about all of the RE code (DSP code is pretty much unchanged) to update it to my better understanding and features of the current SDK, it should still be ready in early August.
MS-34.png
is there any info on this re?
it looks like just some osc that arent capable to change its waveform. but its called "complex". so where is the trick?

ScuzzyEye

30 Jul 2015

thala wrote:is there any info on this re?
it looks like just some osc that arent capable to change its waveform. but its called "complex". so where is the trick?
It's three square wave oscilators, and a linear-feedback shift register, pitched noise generator. Pretty complex for 1980.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_SN76489

It's going to be another $9 RE. The nice thing about it, is just about all the chip-level features that were available to programmers making music with this chip, are exposed via CV. So it pairs nicely with other modular synth REs. The oscillators also don't produce a perfect square waves, there's a bit of voltage drop and skew modeled in its output.

hamu

30 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:It's going to be another $9 RE. The nice thing about it, is just about all the chip-level features that were available to programmers making music with this chip, are exposed via CV. So it pairs nicely with other modular synth REs.
That's good news for CV nerds like me! (My bold) :puf_bigsmile:

thala

30 Jul 2015

cv everything. perfect!
thanks a lot scuzzy. i really cant understand developers (even if they try to sell cv tools) that they arent CVing everything on their synths...
props should have an eye on that, cause cv is one of the features that makes reason different to other daws. back to the roots... or at least: dont forget the roots of reason.
cheers

jappe

30 Jul 2015

thala wrote:cv everything. perfect!
thanks a lot scuzzy. i really cant understand developers (even if they try to sell cv tools) that they arent CVing everything on their synths...
props should have an eye on that, cause cv is one of the features that makes reason different to other daws. back to the roots... or at least: dont forget the roots of reason.
cheers
Hi Thala,
Funny thing is that even though I'ver used Reason for years, I've never understood what's so fantastic about CV control. I automate through the sequencer/combinator, and so far I've been happy with that.
Perhaps someone would like to make me See The Light? :)

ScuzzyEye

30 Jul 2015

hamu wrote:That's good news for CV nerds like me! (My bold) :puf_bigsmile:
To be honest, the original chip doesn't expose much to the user in terms of controls (again this was one of the earliest programmable sound generators), so there's not much CV control. But this RE is the first of a series of chip emulations, and that's going to be a constant with all of them. If it was a setting that could be programmed, it'll be available to be set via CV.

ScuzzyEye

30 Jul 2015

jappe wrote:
cheers
Hi Thala,
Funny thing is that even though I'ver used Reason for years, I've never understood what's so fantastic about CV control. I automate through the sequencer/combinator, and so far I've been happy with that.
Some controls lend themselves better to CV than others. It does become a bit more difficult when dealing with polyphonic synths, because CV is mono. Like what should happen when you are sending a changing CV to the decay of an envelope generator that is playing multiple overlapping notes that have been started at different times?

As for why one would use CV instead of automation. I use both, but I think first, is this a repeating pattern that may slowly evolve over time, or is this something that I want to change at specific parts of the track? Rather than drawing repetitive automation lines, with little changes I'll simply hook up an LFO, and maybe automate the LFO's controls. But if I want exact changes between say the verse and chorus, I'll create automation lanes for those settings. Or another example: If I want a filter to slowly open once, I'll automate it. If I want a filter to wobble, CV. If I want a filter to wobble at specific times with a changing rate, automation of the LFO generating the CV.

challism

30 Jul 2015

Sorry, hamu, I probably shouldn't drop any hints, as per my confidentiality agreement for beta testing. I just thought I would tease/torture you guys a bit with a mystery synth in the works. You guys are gonna love it, though. :)

And CV vs automation.... I find that CV is just fun to mess with. That's why I like it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Bonkhead

30 Jul 2015

Do I know what synth you are talking about, Challism, or is it something else ?

joeyluck

30 Jul 2015

challism wrote:Sorry, hamu, I probably shouldn't drop any hints, as per my confidentiality agreement for beta testing. I just thought I would tease/torture you guys a bit with a mystery synth in the works. You guys are gonna love it, though. :)

And CV vs automation.... I find that CV is just fun to mess with. That's why I like it.
So I'm assuming this is an unknown synth? Not Hydronexus or even Spire. Instead, something that hasn't been teased to the public? Curious what it could be!

thala

31 Jul 2015

a hamu synth?
my ears are just morphing to a radiotelescope...

thala

31 Jul 2015

jappe wrote:
cheers
Hi Thala,
this is a field of possiblities multiplied by rack extensions. i dont really know where to start. its too complex to put it in words.
one good starting point could be robert anselmis homepage.
reason101.net
just have a look at his challenges. i am doing my own challenges since years. i havent touched the puf ever... even roberts homepage or others i found this year.
so in my cave i was growing up my own style of using cv. quite complex, like roberts stuff but completely different.
i have left the stock-device path asap. a real kick forward i got through volt sl1 with its presets and morphing features.
remote synths + effects.
together with hamus 8k mesher and the quadrallectrics cv mixer/processor and logik processing.
there are only 2 points that can stop you building your own complex setups.
1. your head
2. missing cv ins on devices.
and only 4/8 cv ins on the combinator to reach parameters that dont have cv in.

examples
quantising cv to rex or grid. for live-knobbing and buttons nice in sync.
breaking up limitations of synths.
more later via edit
Last edited by thala on 31 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

• Information