Preview and beta call for new Ochen K synth

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ochenk

22 Jul 2015

My latest RE is getting ready for beta testing. It’s a waveshaping synth called 4MER (pronounced either “Former” or “Vormer” depending on how international I’m feeling that day.) Here’s a screen shot of the front:

And here’s a video showing how 4MER works:

I̶’̶m̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶a̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶’̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶e̶s̶t̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶m̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶i̶n̶f̶o̶@̶o̶c̶h̶e̶n̶k̶.̶c̶o̶m̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶p̶e̶l̶l̶e̶r̶h̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶I̶D̶. (Signups are now closed. Thanks!)
Last edited by ochenk on 26 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

boobytrap

22 Jul 2015

Finally ! GUI looks Really Awesome.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

jfrichards

22 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:...here’s a video showing how 4MER works:

Magnificent!!

eusti

22 Jul 2015

Great stuff! Good to see it coming along nicely! :)

D.

EnochLight

22 Jul 2015

Wow, well done Ochen K! This looks really easy to program and sounds pretty nice. Question: is this the final GUI that you settled on?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

boobytrap

22 Jul 2015

ideal for Dubstep & DnB. wait is over for RE like Massive. this is it. fabulous Work By OchenK ! This is the Next Hi End RE after Antidote & Predator .
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

pjeudy

22 Jul 2015

User name pjeudy (small caps).... would love to take this for a spin !!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

joeyluck

22 Jul 2015

Looks great! I always appreciate a synth that is easy to understand and the flow is indicated nicely :)

On that note, I'm curious if there could be a way to see some of the settings at a glance...
For instance, some of the routings such as FLTR 1 or 2, or Env 1-5. It seems things can get complicated if you lose track of what you've done (or are tweaking a preset).

Not sure if this could be viewable on screen with each individual OSC or viewable on or around those particular knobs, or maybe viewable from the Filter or Envelope sections? Which might be an even quicker way to view what all is being routed to say 'ENV 1.' Perhaps just a button near those sections that would reveal that info at a glance? Even if it's a little box that pops up in middle of the display. Just throwing out ideas.

MirEko

22 Jul 2015

Please put me down as a tester, I promise to put this through it's paces and make some tasty patches too

PH Username: bornsticky

GUI looks great btw
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

EnochLight

22 Jul 2015

MirEko wrote:Please put me down as a tester, I promise to put this through it's paces and make some tasty patches too

PH Username: bornsticky

GUI looks great btw
pjeudy wrote:User name pjeudy (small caps).... would love to take this for a spin !!
Just a heads up guys - Ochen doesn't usually read the forums:
If you’re interested, send me an email at reinfo@ochenk.com with your Propellerhead ID.
;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jappe

22 Jul 2015

This will be on top of my buy list. Impressive.

MirEko

22 Jul 2015

@Enoch - cheers

@Jappe - yeah it sounded fantastic when the pitch wheel was moved down.. I'm was watching just thinking of patches to try.. So much potential in there
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

pjeudy

22 Jul 2015

@enochlight got it thanks.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

esselfortium

22 Jul 2015

This looks so, so good.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Exowildebeest

22 Jul 2015

I had to wonder: does the shadow on that huge Modwheel move as you move it up? :D

The answer is yes! Awesomely done.

craven

22 Jul 2015

looks and sounds very good! DSP seems to be no issue either, I'm getting pretty tempted already. Such a tease :)
:ugeek:

Nirude

22 Jul 2015

The more I think of it .... I think 4mer is a good name. It forms sounds. has four oscs.
And it looks quite nice also :)
3d man.

Faastwalker

22 Jul 2015

Another winner from OchenK. Nice interface. Would like to see a second modulation destination. But this has got some nice features & ways of using them. Looks fun as with all Ochen's devices are.

starfish91

23 Jul 2015

No offense Ochen K, but I think the design is a little boring. Here's one that's less washed out, with a third color to make it less matchy-matchy.

You're welcome! :puf_smile:

http://i.imgur.com/0ffwyty.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/A3eInlo.jpg

Puckboy2000

23 Jul 2015

starfish91 wrote:No offense Ochen K, but I think the design is a little boring. Here's one that's less washed out, with a third color to make it less matchy-matchy.

I like!!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

esselfortium

23 Jul 2015

I like those colors quite a bit too, the green highlights are a nice touch. Either version is stellar IMO.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

gak

24 Jul 2015

Looks gorgeous.

I'm not really a good one for beta testing synths. Amp sims? Reverbs? I'm your man for that!

zeebot

24 Jul 2015

Love the way the waves move with the LFO, looks really nice. Tons of sound exploration with this for sure Its gonna be a great RE.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

joeyluck

24 Jul 2015

starfish91 wrote:No offense Ochen K, but I think the design is a little boring. Here's one that's less washed out, with a third color to make it less matchy-matchy.

I'd rather just lose the color gradient in the displays. The first mockup Ochen presented was very clean.
If keeping the gradient shading in the displays, please use white.
Or don't use it for every screen :)

Morphic1977

24 Jul 2015

Hi Ochen K,

you are now in beta, so I do not know if you are able to make changes in GUI but if yes, I have couple of suggestions which would complement your base idea that the synth should be easy to program and understand.

1) I would make smaller display of oscilator wave and instead enlarge knobs below and above it. We will use those knobs often so it is good to have them larger.
2) The same is valid for envelope display, I would suggest to enlarge knobs below it.
3) Big glowing buttons for oscilators, envelopes, LFOs should have different or more vivid glowing colour. It helps to see better what is currently in the focus. Beside that I would name them (e.g. 1,2,3,,... or A,B, C, ...)
4) As to volumes of oscilators, real faders with signal displays next to them would be better
5) I would add more contrast to colours and show the signal path clearer.

Sound wise, the 4MER sounds interesting, I am always looking for synths which can sound fat and aggressive. I hope I can still sign up for the beta and patch creation. I am sending request email now.
:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

• Information