Are we due a new props RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zeebot

22 Jul 2015

Just been browsing the shop and it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that the last prop RE's were Synchronous for effects released in december last year and the A-list electric released last August. I wouldn't count the softube amps myself as props devices even though they are listed as such.
Of course this is not including updates like the recent RV7000 one.
Are props out of the RE game? I think they will probably release another sample based A-list of some kind at some point but I'd like to see them dive into synthesis again but they have pretty much covered most of the methods.
What should the next props synth be? Any thoughts?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Gardinski

22 Jul 2015

A-list bongos.

joeyluck

22 Jul 2015

Maybe? I think most of them are on vacation now?

Perhaps also they are giving way a little bit to let developers take the wheel?

If you might notice, Propellerhead probably has the most well rounded line of rack extensions in the shop—serving as excellent examples of what can be done.

But I do hope to see something new from them soon :)

hamu

22 Jul 2015

Bet they'll wait until the next paid update of Reason, as bundle baits to promote updating.
:puf_bigsmile:

jappe

22 Jul 2015

zeebot wrote: Are props out of the RE game?
I suspect it must be a delicate balance for the Props to not make anything that competes too much with the RE Devs devices. They have an advantage, so think about the worst case where they made killer RE:s for all types of devices where there's competition; nice with killer RE:s but that would be like cannibalizing the RE concept imo.

I'd prefer if they focused on workflow, sequencer, mixer - the things RE devs can't do much about. And there are so many exciting things they could do here!

Morphic1977

22 Jul 2015

I would rather invite following things:

1) new combinator with more knobs, buttons, multistate buttons, more options for programming... a dream would be an empty wokstation with various slots where you can put anything from reason to create a super synth which would have its own knobs, buttons....
2) completely new sound factory bank with HUGE number of fresh patches for ALL of their devices to refresh focus on all of their synths / effects. Those patches should reflect recent trends in music and mixing and should include signature patches from musicians / artists who use Reason. For example, Vengeance signature patches are great showcase what Thor is capable of. Many people do not realize what you can create using just stock devices.
3) Further updates to GUI, SSL mixer (like ability to save presents with different mixing settings for A to B comparison), ....
:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

decibel

22 Jul 2015

hamu wrote:Bet they'll wait until the next paid update of Reason, as bundle baits to promote updating.
:puf_bigsmile:

i hope R9 nine comes out with a bunch of new goodies included, if its like one of their old upgrades i wont mind paying ;)

Theo.M

22 Jul 2015

zeebot wrote:Just been browsing the shop and it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that the last prop RE's were Synchronous for effects released in december last year and the A-list electric released last August. I wouldn't count the softube amps myself as props devices even though they are listed as such.
Of course this is not including updates like the recent RV7000 one.
Are props out of the RE game? I think they will probably release another sample based A-list of some kind at some point but I'd like to see them dive into synthesis again but they have pretty much covered most of the methods.
yes ploise!! idt, idt, then more idt...

MDTerps2015

23 Jul 2015

Gardinski wrote:A-list bongos.
A-list maracas and shakers.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

dvdrtldg

23 Jul 2015

Radical Pan Pipes please

Oh and yeah, a super Combinator with way more CV inputs

TheGodOfRainbows

26 Jul 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:Radical Pan Pipes please
Seriously though, an A-list String Section would be amazing. Garage Band on my iPhone has had a very nice selection of string patterns that is very inspiring. Especially considering it cost $5. From that perspective, I think it's astonishing that a full fledged DAW like Reason doesn't have the equivalent.

Gaja

26 Jul 2015

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
Seriously though, an A-list String Section would be amazing. Garage Band on my iPhone has had a very nice selection of string patterns that is very inspiring. Especially considering it cost $5. From that perspective, I think it's astonishing that a full fledged DAW like Reason doesn't have the equivalent.
I think you can't compare that. Apple makes most of its revenue from hardware sales, which is why they can offer their DAW software at unreasonably low prices. It's damaging to other companies and should be illegal imo.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

sdst
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2015

I hope that propellerheads focus on reason, a new combinator is crying, hide mixer channels, mclass , nn xt 2, redrum 2

the radical things can wait.

CharlyCharlzz

26 Jul 2015

upgraded versions of the Reason Synth's and FX Racks would be top (like they did with the reverb)

a knob to created analogue behaviour LOL

the 8 knobs Combi

Polyphonic Matrix !!!!!!!!!!! need to be able to play chords .

and yes patch's !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Theo.M

26 Jul 2015

On a serious note would anyone welcome an a list orchestra in the style of NI session strings/horns?

I think that's the next big thing and i reckon it would make props a small RE fortune.

Something with awesome invisi scripting with patches that just play naturally, and then a pattern function like guitars (obviously tailored towards the specific instruments) to provide trills and certain short lines.

boobytrap

26 Jul 2015

They really needs to upgrade the 80's M-Class thing. it's really too old now. especially EQ and Compressor.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

CharlyCharlzz

26 Jul 2015

Theo.M wrote:On a serious note would anyone welcome an a list orchestra in the style of NI session strings/horns?

I think that's the next big thing and i reckon it would make props a small RE fortune.

Something with awesome invisi scripting with patches that just play naturally, and then a pattern function like guitars (obviously tailored towards the specific instruments) to provide trills and certain short lines.
Yes , I think that now that we got a convolution reverb and with what they added in the SDK or whatever well .....?!?!?

Where the Hell Is the Radical Orchestra , Radical Hornz & Chords Man exactly ! :P
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

TheGodOfRainbows

27 Jul 2015

Gaja wrote:
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
I think you can't compare that. Apple makes most of its revenue from hardware sales, which is why they can offer their DAW software at unreasonably low prices. It's damaging to other companies and should be illegal imo.
But the topic is a new Props RE. I didn't mean to imply that Props should include an A-List string Section for free (or for ultra low cost), just a new RE at whatever price they choose. I'm saying, regardless of how Apple's makes their money, if Garage Band has an "A-List String Section" type device, so should Reason.

TheGodOfRainbows

27 Jul 2015

Theo.M wrote:On a serious note would anyone welcome an a list orchestra in the style of NI session strings/horns?

YES!!!! I would be front and center welcoming an A-List Orchestra, Horns, Strings, Etc in the style of Native Instruments. I have yearned for something similar to the vast library of Kontakt's sampler library for years and years, particularly orchestral instruments.

Whenever this topic of deep sampled instruments in the style of NI comes up for Reason, it seems like most people say it's very unlikely to happen for various reasons (lack of demand, RE market too small, wrong audience, etc). But I've always been one of the oddball users of Reason because electronic music was never my main focus. Instead, I've always been more rock music oriented, but that has definitely changed over the years and I have moved more into electronic music territory.

But like I said, often people will say "sampled instruments, especially orchestral, are just not what Reason is oriented towards." To which I say, "then let's RE-orient Reason into new horizons". To which someone might say back to me "Then you are using the wrong DAW". To which I would say back to them "but I love Reason's style and way of doing things, and I don't have the time, nor money, nor inclination to learn another DAW. And using REwire negates the simplicity of staying within one DAW". And so on, ad infinitum.

The bottom line is YES, I want MORE A-List REs. All kinds and types would be welcome.
OK, sorry for the rant. :D

PurpleMonkeyDishes

27 Jul 2015

I seen the advertised ScoRe by soft phonics will cover a lot of those but most probably in a sound library format rather than Re, which is ok for me because I need more of this in my rack personally speaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q9xiF9l2dk
Last edited by PurpleMonkeyDishes on 27 Jul 2015, edited 2 times in total.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

esselfortium

27 Jul 2015

More detailed sampled instruments would be fantastic, though rather than REs, I would much rather see a significantly upgraded sampler+Combinator combo that would allow for Kontakt/IDT-like scripting functionality without locking everything down and preventing power users from modding their libraries or making their own, as is the situation with IDT instruments compared to the openness of NNXT+Combinator instruments.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

jfrichards

28 Jul 2015

zeebot wrote:...
I agree with those advocating an upgrade to the Combinator, and a modern Factory Sound Bank upgrade which includes killer patches for Combinator II. Every time I put several tweaked synths in a Combinator, it comes out rich and modern.

esselfortium

28 Jul 2015

jfrichards wrote:
zeebot wrote:...
I agree with those advocating an upgrade to the Combinator, and a modern Factory Sound Bank upgrade which includes killer patches for Combinator II. Every time I put several tweaked synths in a Combinator, it comes out rich and modern.
For sure. New synths are always fun, but I think an upgraded combinator (and upgraded sampler) would have the biggest long-lasting benefit. A successor to the combinator could enable countless new possibilities in and of itself, potentially equivalent to a whole host of new devices (remember all the cool new effects patches that came with the combinator?), and a new sampler could allow for more existing libraries (do I need to namedrop Impact Soundworks' incredible Kontakt stuff again?!) to be ported over with better feature parity.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Gaja

28 Jul 2015

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
But the topic is a new Props RE. I didn't mean to imply that Props should include an A-List string Section for free (or for ultra low cost), just a new RE at whatever price they choose. I'm saying, regardless of how Apple's makes their money, if Garage Band has an "A-List String Section" type device, so should Reason.
I would really like an orchestral A-List device! But my point was that a lot of research has to go into the recording of samples and lots of development has to go into performability and programming the device for usability. That said it's highly unlikely Props could afford to give a device like that away for anywhere near the price that Apple can afford, because Props do not have billions of dollars in the bank. So basically I was mainly attracted by the word astonishing in your last sentence, because I don't find it astonishing at all. Pro Tools doesn't have such a thing, Live doesn't (afaik), neither does Reaper or FL, so I'd rather say it's astonishing that Apple can afford to put stuff like that in a Free app for 5$...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

TheGodOfRainbows

28 Jul 2015

Gaja wrote:
TheGodOfRainbows wrote: But the topic is a new Props RE. I didn't mean to imply that Props should include an A-List string Section for free (or for ultra low cost), just a new RE at whatever price they choose. I'm saying, regardless of how Apple's makes their money, if Garage Band has an "A-List String Section" type device, so should Reason.

I would really like an orchestral A-List device! But my point was that a lot of research has to go into the recording of samples and lots of development has to go into performability and programming the device for usability. That said it's highly unlikely Props could afford to give a device like that away for anywhere near the price that Apple can afford, because Props do not have billions of dollars in the bank. So basically I was mainly attracted by the word astonishing in your last sentence, because I don't find it astonishing at all. Pro Tools doesn't have such a thing, Live doesn't (afaik), neither does Reaper or FL, so I'd rather say it's astonishing that Apple can afford to put stuff like that in a Free app for 5$...
Ok, point well made. "Astonishing" was probably too strong a word, you are right. However, I did then address the issue of price and that Props could charge whatever they want, like $99 or more even. Wouldn't that even things out, cost wise? At least some? I just want something like this so bad, I'm trying to will it into existence! :lol:

• Information