D16 announce Devastor 2 in Rack Extension!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
nikolafeve

21 Jul 2015

http://d16.pl/news

Welcome to D16!! It's a GREAT news for all reason's users, these plugins are awesome
It will be an instant buy for me! Can't wait :)
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2015

It's Lush 101 or nothing!
http://d16.pl/lush-101/overview

Well maybe the 606 emulations and the Phaser...

Great to hear they are trying the RE format.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Bonkhead

21 Jul 2015

HOLY HELL !!!!!!! :o :thumbs_up:

It's DEVASTOR btw

joeyluck

21 Jul 2015

This is very exciting news! I assume Devastor is coming first simply because it just so happens to be what they are updating next in their line.

My guess is that it's very likely SDK 2.2 that is making this possible. And hopefully REs will be included in their product line equally with other formats (every product ported). I'm not sure I have seen any established VST/AU developer do this yet with any existing line of products. I realize I'm being very optimistic. But I have good feelings about this and the more flexible SDK 2.2

tiker01

21 Jul 2015

I was waiting D16 to join to the party since they have beautiful device designs already!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

raymondh

21 Jul 2015

Benedict wrote:It's Lush 101 or nothing!
http://d16.pl/lush-101/overview

Well maybe the 606 emulations and the Phaser...

Great to hear they are trying the RE format.

:)
Yeah +1 on Lush-101 - that would be amazing!!

Jagwah

21 Jul 2015

Good to hear another established developer is joining the Reason rack.

pjeudy

21 Jul 2015

Structure
Devastor consists of three blocks:

Dynamic-gain module
Diode-clipper distortion
Three filter sections

Each of the filters can process the signal before or after the diode-clipper. The filters are not the peaking EQ type which are used in classic multiband distortion They are like those found in analog synthesizers (low pass, high pass, band pass and band reject)- with adjustable resonance and cutoff. As a result, Devastor has a completely unique sound - just check out the Factory Presets.

Key Features
probably the best diode-clipper emulation
analog-like filters
dynamics flattener
presets organised into groups
midi learn function
pre/post processing mode for each filter
64bit internal processing
low aliasing output

*yes you are correct tiker01 above are the specs of version 1*
Last edited by pjeudy on 21 Jul 2015, edited 3 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

tiker01

21 Jul 2015

Actually the specs will be slightly different based on D16 website:

D16 Group proudly announces Devastor 2, an upgrade of their well acclaimed Multiband Distortion Unit, which will take it to the entirely new heights. Along with new tag-based preset management system, alternative UI sizes and refined plug-in configuration, which comprises on new plug-in framework, D16 Group puts in your hands the classic character of the Devastor distortion spiced up with bunch of new creativity-releasing features.

Signal Routing Selector, which replaces version one’s Pre / Post filter switches, giving more efficient control over processing path and at the same time offering some new, un-achievable so far, signal topologies
Built-in Limiter to help preventing drastic changes in audio output’s amplitude as well as making the sound more vivid and juicy
Redesigned Filter Model providing more analog feeling to the plug-in
Improved Dynamics Flattener delivering punchier and definitely more in-your-face sound character
Tempted enough? Stay tuned as more details will be revealed soon...

Devastor 2 is going to be available in VST, AU, AAX and Rack Extension plug-in formats.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.

jfrichards

21 Jul 2015

I love their $40 Antresol flanger VST. I would use that a lot.

The Devastor distortion is very nice, but you can get most of it using stock Reason devices. They use the term analog as a synonym for complex, which is true in many cases. While the following sounds are impressive, most of it is the fantastic original complex sound design pre-Devastor. But it sure is nice to get them on board. It will certainly push Reason forward.

It was interesting going through youtube and soundcloud songs using Devastor and Lush. These circles often use Reason rewired as an integral part of their productions (which seem to center on Ableton Live). Lush seems to be a combinator with eight synths loaded. Takes the work (some would say fun, some would say annoyances) out of modern complex synth sound design.

Really good news!

pjeudy

21 Jul 2015

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

tumar

21 Jul 2015

Great news! I got Devastor 1, as I know they will give discount for D1 owners. Maybe they make crossgrade offer for RE too?

Theo.M

21 Jul 2015

it's a nice distortion and I am pleased it's coming. I am thinking for D16, since this is one of their biggest vst sellers, that they are doing this one first to "test the RE waters". If it produces viable sales I am sure we will see others.

As far as Lush, that makes heavy use of it's own multithreading to spread itself over various cores, and that's the only way it's usable in real world even on modern machines.. so don't go expecting an RE of that any time soon.

tiker01

21 Jul 2015

Well, I hope they have a serious plan as I think this is not the most anticipated D16 device not one where Reason lacks the most. However, I am sure they want to get on board and learn Re before developing something for Re exclusively/first how Kuassa did a couple of times.
Last edited by tiker01 on 21 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite

tumar

21 Jul 2015

Is D16 software available as Propellerheads' ReRacks?

Not yet, but we do plan to make our instruments and effects to be available to Reason users as well. However we aren't sure whether D16's ReRacks will be 1:1 renditions or entirely new product line inspired by current products (mainly due to SDK limitations).

One way or another you can expect D16 software to be released for Propellerheads' Reason DAW, but with no specific dates right now.
http://helpdesk.d16.pl/knowledge_base/article/107

Exowildebeest

21 Jul 2015

That's cute how they called them ReRacks in that probably very old answer ;)

I love their GUI's. Very slick.

ScuzzyEye

21 Jul 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I love their GUI's. Very slick.
Their GUIs do look really nice. I think the renderer they use makes everything look slightly soft, giving a bit of a glow, so more like a camera shot than the normal Rack Extension renderer. What's going to look strange (if they are using their own 2D pieces built from their 3D renders) is their shadows go the wrong way. Their devices are lit from below, but Reason's are lit from above.

eXode

21 Jul 2015

tumar wrote:
Is D16 software available as Propellerheads' ReRacks?

Not yet, but we do plan to make our instruments and effects to be available to Reason users as well. However we aren't sure whether D16's ReRacks will be 1:1 renditions or entirely new product line inspired by current products (mainly due to SDK limitations).

One way or another you can expect D16 software to be released for Propellerheads' Reason DAW, but with no specific dates right now.
http://helpdesk.d16.pl/knowledge_base/article/107
What's your point? :)

The latest news is from 2015-07-16 on their news page (click read, or see below)
D16 Group announces Devastor 2 - Revival of the legend
2015-07-16

D16 Group proudly announces Devastor 2, an upgrade of their well acclaimed Multiband Distortion Unit, which will take it to the entirely new heights. Along with new tag-based preset management system, alternative UI sizes and refined plug-in configuration, which comprises on new plug-in framework, D16 Group puts in your hands the classic character of the Devastor distortion spiced up with bunch of new creativity-releasing features.

Signal Routing Selector, which replaces version one’s Pre / Post filter switches, giving more efficient control over processing path and at the same time offering some new, un-achievable so far, signal topologies
Built-in Limiter to help preventing drastic changes in audio output’s amplitude as well as making the sound more vivid and juicy
Redesigned Filter Model providing more analog feeling to the plug-in
Improved Dynamics Flattener delivering punchier and definitely more in-your-face sound character

Tempted enough? Stay tuned as more details will be revealed soon...

Devastor owners can count on nice upgrade pricing, which also includes free upgrades for licenses purchased in 6 months grace period. D16 Group won’t forget about the owners of some other SilverLine titles. Custom coupon codes will be send out to everybody qualified for the discount at the day of release.

Devastor 2 is going to be available in VST, AU, AAX and Rack Extension plug-in formats.

Exowildebeest

21 Jul 2015

The "tag based preset system" will have to go for the RE of course. And good riddance, probably. Man I hate VST's with all their different patch browsers and preset management systems.

tumar

21 Jul 2015

eXode wrote:
What's your point? :)
1. They keep their word.
2. Not only Devastor, D16 will work on other effects and synths too.

Theo.M

21 Jul 2015

tiker01 wrote:Well, I hope they have an serious plan as I think this is not the most anticipated D16 device not one where Reason lacks the most. However, I am sure they want to get on board and learn Re before developing something for Re exclusively/first how Kuassa did a couple of times.

Yes I do think they made a sort of error there also.. but I don't think they were looking at the reason market as a whole but rather their most popular device and what put their FX on the map.. perhaps they should have looked at this as a "what effect from our silverline does reason really NEED" and port that first.

For me without question, it would be their drum synths.. without sequencer is fine as we can do that in redrum, if it makes porting them easier.

I am very surprised they did not choose antresol first... the only decent flanger with a realistic cpu usage, and with broad tempo sync times in reason is predator used as an fx insert, which is unwieldy to set up all the time just for an FX.

Let's go through their FX line first and see what we have - by all means add FX where needed as I am positive I will miss some

1) Antresol Flanger - Alternatives, Uhbik F (high cpu), Predator (not quite analog sounding but broad tempo sync and must be set up via the synth as an insert which can get confusing), factory (not a fan).

2) Toraverb - Alternatives, Synapse fat verb and DR1 (great), 480 (great), Uhbik A(buggy but great), RV7K (great), Unfiltered audio (underrated, a tad metallic but can do HUGE spaces, so vey useful in some cases and the closest replacement for toraverb), Tsar (cpu hog but great), RP Verb (great).

that said, even though toraverb is made specifically to mimic the spaceverb/eventide black hole type of verb - I am sorry, but I never liked it and could get it to sound right - gimme valhalla shimmer or eventide blackhole *any day* over toraverb.

3) Decimort Bit crusher - Alternatives - Digital mode in Scream (average), futzbox (awesome RE, but bit crusher section very average with little sample rate control, snaps to major intervals rather than allowing free flow through the range), Nucleus Beat crush (it can sound cool but it seems always to be crushing and sound always radically altered when one might just want subtle variation, plus very complex IMO to use), Blamsoft resampler (best choice so far, very high cpu in some modes, still not as organic sounding as decimort).

YEP - decimort i would LOVE to see in RE - TBH it just sounds good on everything i throw at it.. always adds charm and funk.

4) Redoptor tube distortion - Scream (not half bad), Softube knob (nice), Devoloop dynamics fx (don't like their drive *at all*), Blamsoft trio (hit and miss - sound rather digital but the green one is pretty good, ridiculous cpu)

Conclusion - more tube distortion for reason would be welcome, as would be tape and console emulation drive - problem is, just like what we already have, redoptor is an average sounding plugin and unneeded in reason. It's also not very popular, and I understand why.

5) Fazortan Phaser - Alternatives - Synapse duo (beyond superb), uhbik (cpu hog, i have never liked this one and most know as does U-He, sounds far too digital - of course you might love it!), factory (meh ish but ok), T2 phaser (great!)

conclusion: Fazortan sounds fantastic but so do the synapse ones and the T2, so do we need it? Well, fazortan does do a 32 bar tempo sync and synapse only does 8. But even though I have been completely unsuccessful in my own attempts at this, I have read that one can use ammo to create long tempo sweeps with the current phaser plugins - hint - any tips to help me in this matter would be awesome - in sine wave mode i can only get a triangle sound with a an abrupt square from ammo and all the phasers I have tried.

I would still like to see fazortan even though we do already have genuinely good phasers in reason, but it's not an urgency IMO.

6) Sigmund Delay ( I haven never used this so can't comment on it) - The echo (usable), Plex (superb), jiggery steerpike (superb), air raid relapse (superb), Uhbik (great), le space (has unnecessary and annoying latency but an awesome plugin), softube delay (awesome on a send, terrible on insert), Echobode (awesome delay along with other stuff).

Sorry i just don't see the need for Sigmund at all.. besides a true tape delay emu like Logic's (that sounds good when driven hard i mean, unlike the echo), we have no other gap in the delay segment. A birdie told me we might be getting a clone of the logic delay - if it does really happen i will never need another delay in reason ever - and for those who don't need that sort of effect you are already more than amply covered by what's out there.

7) Syntorus Chorus - alternatives - factory chorus and unison (not bad), synapse (decent and simple), Chenille (unbelievably magnificent but can be tricky to tweak), SA16 (good!), i am sure others I missed

Hard to top chenille, but syntorus also is a very nice bbd chorus - shouldn't be a priority, but would be welcome!

8) devastor distortion (note this is not traditional multi band, you will see what i mean when you use it) - lots of alternatives, air raid mutagen (awesome), tri tone (shocking crossovers, very hard to get sounding right IMO), scream of course (still an overall awesome pluggie), Distort chain (awesome), Rp distort (awesome and true dual band), Battle Axe (decent), Faturator (just never sounds right, sorry kilo hearts), and more and more..

But? Devastor IS a really good sounding distortion - REALLY good.. so now that I think about it after writing this post, i AM glad they are porting it!

Instruments:

Lush - Magnificent all round VA in every way, and would be the best sounding VA in reason - i believe impossible to currently port

Drumazon - awesome but clap and only clap is terrible, everyone noticed this - weird.. rest awesome

Nepheton - cool

Nithonat - worst name ever, cool pluggie.

The josh levie 808 is no good, IMO. Samples will do you fine for the 606/707/808/909 drums - that said, would like to see these..

BUT MUCH MORE, would like to see audiorealism ADM as it's a true all in one, and is easier to use, and sounds AWESOME all round.

Phoscyon - sorry but ABL3 sounds a bit better and we already have that - there is no need for phoscyon in Reason, IMO. That said I am sure many people would welcome phoscyon, especially those that prefer it to ABL - for me, i will go with ABL.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To summarize, we all know devastor is coming so i will leave that out of the following "wish list order".

I'd like this after devastor

Antresol, Decimort, Drum synths, Fazortan, syntorus.

The others mean nothing to me.. YMMV!! ;)

TheFesta

23 Jul 2015

Amazing news!

D16 is one of my favourite developers - Please buy their goodies, so they will port more of their plugins : )

808, 909, 606,303, Lush and Devastor - Techno City here we come.

Yeah i'm jumping the gun a bit ....but its nice to be optimistic sometimes .
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

popp

23 Jul 2015

I own their FX bundle, the silverline collection. Absolutely stunning. I really hope they will be treated well.
I so want Decimort as a RE
Super Dabbler

Yonatan

23 Jul 2015

:) Another distortion unit. We have the tools to destroy the sound into the surface on the moon. But a new name into RE-market fills me with gladness. Hope they have plans for more of their plugs so they not give up too easy as some other brands seem to have done. May the RE´s blossom!

nikolafeve

23 Jul 2015

TheFesta wrote:Amazing news!

D16 is one of my favourite developers - Please buy their goodies, so they will port more of their plugins : )
Be sure i will ;) love this developer too!!
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

• Information