ScuzzyEye SU-27 is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ScuzzyEye

13 Jul 2015

My first RE has been released!

SU-27 Surround Matrix Decoder

Documentation and videos are coming, but I wanted to make sure it was published before the Summer holidays. If you have any questions post them here.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

13 Jul 2015

Congrats, Mr Eye ;)

ScuzzyEye

13 Jul 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Congrats, Mr Eye ;)
Thanks a bunch!

Eagleizer

13 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:My first RE has been released!

SU-27 Surround Matrix Decoder

Documentation and videos are coming, but I wanted to make sure it was published before the Summer holidays. If you have any questions post them here.
Congrats! :thumbs_up: WIll buy soon ;)

ScuzzyEye

13 Jul 2015

Eagleizer wrote:Congrats! :thumbs_up: WIll buy soon ;)
Thank you for your support!

I want to thank each and every one of you individually, but it's 5:30 am here. I've stayed up, because I figured the Props would approve my page as soon as their day started. Now that it is available I can finally go to bed happy.

Again, thanks to great community here at ReasonTalk.com. I hope some of you find a use for this little effect. And stay tuned to see what I make next.

Good night!

hamu

13 Jul 2015

Congrats! Nice work! :thumbs_up:

O1B

13 Jul 2015

I'm iN, and happy to support!
I was following it's evolution, but this is still Quite the surprise.

Congrats on your new RE, SE.

boobytrap

13 Jul 2015

congratulations !
You did a great job. i'll buy it and expect more RE's in future.
Good Luck
:thumbs_up:
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

eusti

13 Jul 2015

Congratulations from me as well! Fabulous! :)

D.

marcuswitt

13 Jul 2015

Hi ScuzzyEye,

congrats for the release of your first RE, which I consider as an 'instand buy'. Great move to bring surround sound to Reason. I just wish that PPH will implement complete surround functionality, i.e. discrete formats liek 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc. into Reason, someday. But as a first step in this direction I really appreciate your RE. And the price that you're calling up for SU-27 is more than fair. I'm gonna try it in conjuntion with a surround sound configuration in MOTU's Digital Performer, which willl act as a ReWire master.

ScuzzyEye

13 Jul 2015

marcuswitt wrote:congrats for the release of your first RE, which I consider as an 'instand buy'. Great move to bring surround sound to Reason. I just wish that PPH will implement complete surround functionality, i.e. discrete formats liek 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc. into Reason, someday. But as a first step in this direction I really appreciate your RE. And the price that you're calling up for SU-27 is more than fair. I'm gonna try it in conjuntion with a surround sound configuration in MOTU's Digital Performer, which willl act as a ReWire master.
The ReWire solution should work, most ReWire hosts allow more than the two channels to be returned, then you can map them as needed.

Reason is not that far from being able to support surround formats. Yeah, it'd be nice if the master bus was more than stereo (to use the compressor), but an a set of compressor devices, each fed with a side-chain of summed multi-channel signal does pretty well as a stand in (you may need to decrease the level of the summed signal for best performance).

Being able to bounce buses works out pretty well in the end. You can either make mono Left, Center, Right, Surround Left, Surround Right buses, or pair the left and right ones together to get a set of stereo buses with one mono, and bounce them each. Audacity, when configured to do so, will let you import multiple audio files, and then export them into a single, multichannel file with custom mapping of input to output.

I'm working on videos to show most of this stuff.

Majestik Monkey

13 Jul 2015

I don't do Surround work , cos i find it hard enough to fill_in just normal L R :)
But i will try & use it creatively / Weird verbs & Delays & stuff '
Congrats with your first RE Mr ScuzzyEye :mrgreen: /

Majestik Monkey

13 Jul 2015

Love the spread ' pushing the Mix right up front & then pushing it right to the back ' & i notice when using spread & fade together it's really good for bringing out certain parts of a typical Drum loop or any loop for that matter ' Cool ' love the way it handles reverbs too ' it kinda squashes or enhances them in a really odd way ;) can't explian ... but i like what i hear . lol

Ps why no CV in for Spread & Fade ?

ScuzzyEye

13 Jul 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:Love the spread ' pushing the Mix right up front & then pushing it right to the back ' & i notice when using spread & fade together it's really good for bringing out certain parts of a typical Drum loop or any loop for that matter ' Cool ' love the way it handles reverbs too ' it kinda squashes or enhances them in a really odd way ;) can't explian ... but i like what i hear . lol

Ps why no CV in for Spread & Fade ?
It definitely pulls apart reverbs nicely. I almost always listen to music with a surround decoder mode on my home stereo just for this reason.

Spread and Fade really don't automate well. I only allowed automation so they could be assigned inside a Combinator. That's something I'll revisit in an update, and if I get them to behave more smoothly, I'll add CV. Right now they're basically intended for fine-tuning your output. But if you're automating them, and liking the results, more power to you. :) (You can use the CV input of the Combinator and assign it to those controls, if you want to try it out.)

Majestik Monkey

13 Jul 2015

Well,even as it stands ' with right click Sprd & Fd / Phz & Wrp . . . thats fine !
TBH honest when i first saw SU-27 i thought i would never have use for such a Tool? ' >>>> but I was so wrong ' lol
I bought it for reasons of experimenting with FX as stated in the introduction ' & i am glad i did ,,, instant results / Slicing up Reverb's & Delays
its a Great tool Mr Scuzz ! Well done .....

O1B

13 Jul 2015

Dude, Majestik Monkey said it best. instant results!
You've given proper life to my 6track Vox setup H2 (m/s+l/r)+H6 (l/r)-
QE's SS M/S took me partway there. This is the only devise I'll need for this purpose.

I just tasted it splitting up a drum bus. Next. ... Reverb and Distortion.
Quite the Tool. thanks, again!

Majestik Monkey

13 Jul 2015

New track using Su-27 as a Tool for shifting & creating or occupying New spaces ' Like moving furniture around a room ' so 2 speak :lol:

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7490629

ScuzzyEye

13 Jul 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:TBH honest when i first saw SU-27 i thought i would never have use for such a Tool? ' >>>> but I was so wrong ' lol
O1B wrote:You've given proper life to my 6track Vox setup H2 (m/s+l/r)+H6 (l/r)-
It makes me happy that people are finding a use for it outside of multi-channel processing.

Still niche, but slightly less niche. :D

ahs

13 Jul 2015

congrats for your 1st re.

to be sure, your tool can't handle real surround wave files nore can make them ?

ScuzzyEye

13 Jul 2015

ahs wrote:to be sure, your tool can't handle real surround wave files nore can make them ?
Reason can't open or save multi-channel wave files. It doesn't get around that limitation. Bringing in multi-channel audio isn't really what this device is for anyway. It's to take stereo audio, perhaps surround audio that has been down-mixed (matrixed), or simply true stereo audio with ambient cues, and extract more than two channels from that.

You then need to either wire Reason into a multi-channel audio interface, or bounce multiple tracks. If Reason is wired into multiple channels you'll hear the surround playback live. If you bounce multiple tracks you can use something like Audacity to combine them into one multi-channel wave. (This is how many programs export multi-channel audio. Dolby's and DTS's encoding software will easily take multiple (stereo or mono) waves to combine into the final output file.)

ahs

14 Jul 2015

i have a setup wich have a fieldrecording on a stereo audio track and send the 5 outputs to 5 audiotracks. if i listen to the tracks i hear lots of artifacts and noise audio. what could this be ?

Majestik Monkey

14 Jul 2015

Mr Scuzz ' Posted to your Pm / Google drive file ! get back to me with any tips or suggestion on how best to use SU-27 within the context of that Tune

ahs

14 Jul 2015

to me ?

ncurry

14 Jul 2015

Congrats! Great device with nothing comparable in the shop right now.

ScuzzyEye

14 Jul 2015

ahs wrote:i have a setup wich have a fieldrecording on a stereo audio track and send the 5 outputs to 5 audiotracks. if i listen to the tracks i hear lots of artifacts and noise audio. what could this be ?
There's a 20 ms smoothing of the full wave rectification of the left and right channels. All the steering information is derived from those values. That's what the original design called for, so I've implemented it that way. But it does create artifacts, especially with low frequency sounds. That's the primary reason that I classified this as a "creative effect" and not a studio. Dematrixing isn't exact, it's stretching 2 channels of audio over many, and sometimes that starts to sound thin (and the reason I didn't go for 7 channels of output--it gets too thin and artifacty).

Are you listening to the tracks individually? They really do sound better when allowed to mix together in a room (or even back together on a track). Also make sure you try inverting the right surround channel, that'll result in less phase cancellation (even though it may be desirable in room playback).

Sometime in the future I'll be releasing an update to this effect. I do plan on revisit the 20 ms smoothing. It's impossible to have one-size-fits-all for that value. 20 ms is a good compromise for a setting that would be complicated for most home users to adjust. But I think making it variable could allow it to fit different recordings better.

• Information