A great way to trial REs TWICE!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

06 Jul 2015

Have two accounts and two licenses. :) You can always sell your 2nd license when you are finished re-trying the REs you want to re-try. I did this recently with an RE I trialed a long time ago, and had forgotten if I liked/disliked it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

gak

06 Jul 2015

And if you have 3 licenses, you can try it 3 times!!!!!

:mrgreen:

Sorry, had to.

Kazz

06 Jul 2015

I'm not sure if this is explicitly against the terms of service, but I really don't think they want people doing it...there's a lot of room for abuse there if you carry the idea beyond your 2 accounts.

ScuzzyEye

06 Jul 2015

For an account to be able to trial an RE, it needs a Reason license, right? So that'll stop people from creating multiple accounts just to reset trials, because they'll have a get at least an Essential license somehow. Plus when you're using Reason with a second account, you'll only have access to the REs that are on that particular account. So that'll slow people down even more. Sure you can pick up Essentials for $50 and re-trial that RE you have your eye on. But you won't be able to test it with any of the other REs that you own, unless you trial them too.

So the room for abuse is more of a closet.
Last edited by ScuzzyEye on 07 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

eusti

07 Jul 2015

Well, that is definitely a way of doubling the testing time... And most likely not even one that the props would mind... As you are buying more Reason licenses to do so... But as ScuzzyEye said: You can only test it with the setup that you have on that account... Not sure if it really is worth it...
I was always more fascinated of having two Reason licenses on one account and having to buy REs only once... But then again, I'm only one person! :P

D.

zeebot

07 Jul 2015

Seems like an awful lot of work just to re-trial a RE. Surely a month is long enough for someone to work out if they want to buy the device in the first place?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Kazz

07 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:For an account to be able to trial an RE, it needs a Reason license, right? So that'll stop people from creating multiple accounts just to reset trials, because they'll have a get at least an Essential license somehow. Plus when you're using Reason with a second account, you'll only have access to the REs that are on that particular account. So that'll slow people down even more. Sure you can pick up Essentials for $50 and re-trial that RE you have your eye on. But you won't be able to test it with any of the other REs that you own, unless you trial them too.

So the room for abuse is more of a closet.
I didn't want to give people bad ideas, and I'm sure they'd shut you down after a couple of months if you tried it, but you *could* trial every RE and then try to transfer Reason to a new account every month...

selig
RE Developer

07 Jul 2015

zeebot wrote:Seems like an awful lot of work just to re-trial a RE. Surely a month is long enough for someone to work out if they want to buy the device in the first place?
OK, I'll bite. My take on the reason one would want to "re-trial" an RE has nothing to do with whether 30 days is enough time to work out if you want to make a purchase. It's about when a device is significantly updated like Noxious and a few others (and I'm sure more in the future), and there's no way for you to determine if the new features NOW make this a device you are willing to pay for or not.

There is also a case where you may compared devices like compressors, and then a new compressor comes out but you can no longer compare it to the competition since you can't re-trial REs. I'll admit this second example is less of a concern than the first, but it still falls under the category of "reasons to re-trial an RE other than not having enough time", IMO at least.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

zeebot

07 Jul 2015

I agree that if major updates are made to a RE then a re-trial should be allowed but as I said, that is an awful lot of effort to go to just get another month on a RE.
I assume the OP is talking about simply using another license to get more free mileage out of the device as a workaround.
The OP can correct me if I'm wrong.

They really are crap.

challism

07 Jul 2015

Unread postby zeebot » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:07 pm
I agree that if major updates are made to a RE then a re-trial should be allowed but as I said, that is an awful lot of effort to go to just get another month on a RE.
I assume the OP is talking about simply using another license to get more free mileage out of the device as a workaround.
No, that's not my intent. As I mentioned in the original post, I did this so I could try an RE that I had forgotten all about when I trialed it. So it was useful in that instance. I didn't go buy another license for this purpose, though. I have a lot of licenses. :) Anyway, this is a good way for someone to get a refresher if they forgot about an RE, or if the RE has been significantly updated. And, yes, it is a lot of effort to go thru, but if you have 2 licenses, it's doable and easy.

Dante

08 Jul 2015

If you start trailing an RE on 1/JUN and delete it on 10/JUN, can you re-trial it in July with 20 days left, or does it expire anyway on 30/JUN ?

I think a single 30 days is generous - especially given no many other platforms allow trials much or as conveniently.

Pepin

08 Jul 2015

Dante wrote:If you start trailing an RE on 1/JUN and delete it on 10/JUN, can you re-trial it in July with 20 days left, or does it expire anyway on 30/JUN ?

I think a single 30 days is generous - especially given no many other platforms allow trials much or as conveniently.
It would expire June 30th.

zeebot

08 Jul 2015

challism wrote:
Unread postby zeebot » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:07 pm
No, that's not my intent. As I mentioned in the original post, I did this so I could try an RE that I had forgotten all about when I trialed it. So it was useful in that instance. I didn't go buy another license for this purpose, though. I have a lot of licenses. :) Anyway, this is a good way for someone to get a refresher if they forgot about an RE, or if the RE has been significantly updated. And, yes, it is a lot of effort to go thru, but if you have 2 licenses, it's doable and easy.
Fair enough, if you have multiple licenses :puf_smile:

They really are crap.

Dante

09 Jul 2015

Maybe my way could be a compromise. 30 days trial but over 2 trial periods. That way, you could try out for 10 days, delete it but allowed to use the 20 day balance on another trial months later when the device may have had an upgrade. After a year the balance then expires anyway.

devilfish

09 Jul 2015

We will have a Crack.. SOON! :D

challism

11 Jul 2015

devilfish wrote:We will have a Crack.. SOON! :D

You think so? Reason's crack proof system has been pretty good against the crackers so far. What's it been, 3 years now?

craven

12 Jul 2015

since a new Essentials license is only 49€, it might make sense for some...
:ugeek:

selig
RE Developer

12 Jul 2015

devilfish wrote:We will have a Crack.. SOON! :D
Careful here, sounds like you're making promises…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

boobytrap

12 Jul 2015

craven wrote:since a new Essentials license is only 49€, it might make sense for some...
49$ for retry all RE.

SOUNDS PRETTY REASONABLE !
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Theo.M

12 Jul 2015

actually interesting, i might spend the $49 and do this, i never thought of it. It wouldn't matter that I can't use my other Re's alongside with it cause how could i open my R8 projects anyway that may have factory stuff in them that essentials doesn't have. It would be cool to have a clean platform to just test and this time not make any mistakes and do it when i actually have the time and patience to test the RE's properly. Silly question perhaps, but wouldn't the authoriser be the same and get confused? Can this be done on the same machine?

craven

12 Jul 2015

Theo.M wrote:Silly question perhaps, but wouldn't the authoriser be the same and get confused? Can this be done on the same machine?
not a silly question, but rest assured, it works without problems. You might have to resync when changing accounts, but it is the same as using your account on a friends machine (actually brilliant way of working together, if you want your REs at the friends place - too bad one can't combine the REs of two accounts for that sake).
:ugeek:

Theo.M

12 Jul 2015

craven wrote:
Theo.M wrote:Silly question perhaps, but wouldn't the authoriser be the same and get confused? Can this be done on the same machine?
not a silly question, but rest assured, it works without problems. You might have to resync when changing accounts, but it is the same as using your account on a friends machine (actually brilliant way of working together, if you want your REs at the friends place - too bad one can't combine the REs of two accounts for that sake).

thanks for that, ok will give it a go!

devilfish

01 Sep 2015

Imagine...

If you can trail.. You have the fully working software (including the licence you need) right on your Computer ;)

I wonder why nobody shoot it out :D

• Information