OBERON goes to 11 semitones?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pjeudy

06 Jul 2015

I noticed that the semitones on the OSC goes up to 11 semi, is that right ? that can't be right !
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

ScuzzyEye

06 Jul 2015

I don't have that synth. But the one I'm working on is the same way. If you want 12 semitones, you turn the octave up 1, and the semi back to 0. In fact the one I'm working on doesn't even have negative semitones, because you can turn the octave down, and semi up.

pjeudy

06 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:I don't have that synth. But the one I'm working on is the same way. If you want 12 semitones, you turn the octave up 1, and the semi back to 0. In fact the one I'm working on doesn't even have negative semitones, because you can turn the octave down, and semi up.
Ok ..thanks ScuzzyEye
I noticed that no other synth I have in RE or native to Reason goes up to 11...they all go up to 12. Thanks again.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2015

Not too uncommon, especially on older synths

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

ScuzzyEye

06 Jul 2015

Benedict wrote:Not too uncommon, especially on older synths
Mine is an emulation of an '80s synth. After I posted I remember why it was done that way. While the controls show octaves and semitones, the sysex dump only uses semitones.

So there would be confusion between how to load a patch that is tuned up 12 semitones, if there was a +12 setting. Should the device display +1 Oct, or +12 Semi? If the semi knob only goes up to 11, then there's one way it can be interpreted.

Since memory is cheap now, newer synths likely store each control in its own location, and there can be two settings that produce the same result, but have unique patches.

Despondo
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2015

• Information