Best Vocoder in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

04 Jul 2015

There was thread started in the last few days before the move with someone asking if the Predator vocoder was to be preferred to the one that Parsec offered...
Theo was kind enough to post an example of Predator vocoding... Then everything disappeared...

So, I'm curious now: Is there a second (Parsec) example with the same vocals to compare?

Would love to hear it.

And the topic made me look into the Parsec vocoder... Sound pretty good to me!

D.

raymondh

05 Jul 2015

There are many exciting ways to make great vocoding sounds in Reason.

Personally, rather than using Parsec for vocoding, I like to use the Reason vocoder, and try out all of the different synths and patches to get the desired sound. I think some of my favourite results have been with Parsec, Mono/Poly and ReDominator, but YMMV.

joeyluck

05 Jul 2015

Try vocoding with the Selig DeEsser added to any vocoder. Not for de-essing though... but use the de-esser to add sibilance :)

ScuzzyEye

05 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:Try vocoding with the Selig DeEsser added to any vocoder. Not for de-essing though... but use the de-esser to add sibilance :)
Are you saying before or after the vocoder? I find simply adding noise to the carrier, makes esses stand out better in the processed signal. It's not that there's not enough ess sound in the modulator, but there's simply nothing in the carrier for it to modulate.

raymondh

05 Jul 2015

Adding compression to the audio, or even better Selig Leveler, also helps with the vocoding quality.

(the compressor goes between the audio and the vocoder devices)

Theo.M

05 Jul 2015

raymondh wrote:Adding compression to the audio, or even better Selig Leveler, also helps with the vocoding quality.

(the compressor goes between the audio and the vocoder devices)
Great tip thanks for that, will look into it.

From the now defunct topic, my own tests had shown that at this stage, BV512 was still the most intelligible for vocal vocoding. It is quite possible I was doing something wrong with parsec, and I guess it's time I read the manual to be sure, but predator I had definitely hooked up correctly, and I can't recommend that for vocoding at all.

joeyluck

05 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Try vocoding with the Selig DeEsser added to any vocoder. Not for de-essing though... but use the de-esser to add sibilance :)
Are you saying before or after the vocoder? I find simply adding noise to the carrier, makes esses stand out better in the processed signal. It's not that there's not enough ess sound in the modulator, but there's simply nothing in the carrier for it to modulate.
I'm talking about splitting the signal before the vocoder and mixing the sibilance separately.
It's a cleaner, natural sibilance. The Warpfactory Vocoder works this way by detecting sibilance and letting it pass through un-vocoded.

ScuzzyEye

05 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:I'm talking about splitting the signal before the vocoder and mixing the sibilance separately.
It's a cleaner, natural sibilance. The Warpfactory Vocoder works this way by detecting sibilance and letting it pass through un-vocoded.
Oh yeah, not a bad idea. :)

I like my vocoder to be really robotic, so intelligibility isn't hugely important. In fact I find Parsec to almost be too clean, but the X Y controls add some neat texture when automated. Especially turning the Y up at the end of a word to get it "stuck".

eusti

05 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I'm talking about splitting the signal before the vocoder and mixing the sibilance separately.

I like my vocoder to be really robotic, so intelligibility isn't hugely important. In fact I find Parsec to almost be too clean, but the X Y controls add some neat texture when automated. Especially turning the Y up at the end of a word to get it "stuck".
Interesting ideas... Although I find making stuff more robotic / harsher is never the issue for me... There are plenty of useful FX for that...
(Phonetic, Futzbox, BitSpeak, etc. coming to mind....)

D.

joeyluck

05 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:

Yeah, I like cheesy vocoder lines :D

Here's a song from 2005 I did. 10 year anniversary this month! I LOL.
It's actually a trumpet on my Yamaha DJX run through an Electrix Warpfactory Vocoder.

• Information