Softube Tech-Tube $349, Softube Heartbeat $219 (Rack Extesion Overprice)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Alkua

29 Jun 2015

This device just came out in VST AU and AXX version fro $219. 

and also include TSAR-1 Reverd (which RE cost $159 with 20% off) and Dyna-mite (RE $149)

Tube-Tech has a EQ and a compressor and the original price is $349

Softube do good products but the prices are too high in the RE version.

Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-06-29_at_10.49.24_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-06-29_at_10.49.24_AM.png (398.26 KiB) Viewed 1594 times

siln

29 Jun 2015

Hello , well it seems their Tube tech vst is still 435$ on their site, and I assume tsar and dynamite are kind of lite versions (just see less knob on the picture..) ,
all their prices are quite expensive, but this heartbeat looks really nice :)

edit: tsar vst 215$ dynamite vst 219$

Pepin

29 Jun 2015

Those effects are internal to the plugin (you can't route external audio though them), so it's not the equivalent of buying them all separately.

maketunes

29 Jun 2015

I think Softube are one of the bigger devs that in order to make money, they have to pay their royalties to Props & taxes, bigger staff operation plus the fact the prop shop is the only place they can be sold. So development plus on-going costs is one reason these devices seem expensive. I wouldn't blame softube, Fair play for persisting with the RE format. :)

Exowildebeest

29 Jun 2015

I suspect Softube also has to pay the manufacturers of the original hardware they're modelling, they seem to be all official about that.

maketunes

29 Jun 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I suspect Softube also has to pay the manufacturers of the original hardware they're modelling, they seem to be all official about that.
yes!

Theo.M

29 Jun 2015

siln wrote:Hello , well it seems their Tube tech vst is still 435$ on their site, and I assume tsar and dynamite are kind of lite versions (just see less knob on the picture..) ,
all their prices are quite expensive, but this heartbeat looks really nice :)

edit: tsar vst 215$ dynamite vst 219$
Hi, as I have mentioned before, and this is honestly true, softube have a reseller network - so don't worry about the "retail" price of the vst on the softube site.. cause unless you want to pay that you would buy elsewhere. In reality it's usually cheaper to buy the vst - AND you get all formats AND you get 4 components (all 3 plus the channel in the tubetech case). The only exception where in real life, the street price of the vst is higher than the RE, is with the non sale prices of the tubetech, by a few $$$. that's it.. but:

RE version - can be used in Reason only, one cpu heavy strip only

OTHER - has a format for every daw on the planet that works in mac os or windows, BAR reason - has 3 individual light components PLUS the full channel strip.

I don't know why (and this happens often), people quote softube's site price vs RE's, when that's just RRP - the only place in the world to buy softube RE's is the props shop so that's the only price that matters in that case - in the case of other formats it's a little unfair to quote retail.

On the other hand, IF one decides they want to spend full price on the vst.. BUT they want to buy more than one softube vst - AND they want to buy direct at softube.com only - softube have a "more is more" system, which with the more you add to cart, the more discount you get  - and it's significant. At sale times it's so significant that plugins like the spring verb and tube delay come in at under $20.. In what RE sale have they ever been that cheap? They haven't. So once again we are paying more in all cases for a one DAW version.

The RE prices are too high, not in general for what they are but because they should be appropriately priced vs the other formats at reseller prices - and then a bit less (btw all resellers are within $5 of each other for the multi format).. The tube tech should have come in at 249 maximum (i paid 165 for the multi format on a sale - yep, with 4 plugins), with $125 sales - or at WORST $299 but they should have included all components which i think almost everyone agreed to in a poll ages back at the PUF. Considering the kuassa sounds just as good (honestly), softube have some balls - they are basically saying well you can have the CL1B for $300 extra - and the CL1B is just NOT worth that. Trust me. The only one of softube's pluggies for RE i don't have and never intend to unless it's $99 on a sale (and it will get there one day with patience).

Finally let's not forget all the bundles out there.. I paid $150 for FET/Tsar 1R/ and three active/passive EQ in the AU/VST - Then there is the softube studio bundle, etc. None of these apply to RE.

EnochLight

29 Jun 2015

maketunes wrote:I think Softube are one of the bigger devs that in order to make money, they have to pay their royalties to Props & taxes, bigger staff operation plus the fact the prop shop is the only place they can be sold. So development plus on-going costs is one reason these devices seem expensive. I wouldn't blame softube, Fair play for persisting with the RE format. :)
To be fair, Softube pays no more to Propellerhead when selling their RE's than do any other dev.  The cost-split is fixed for all.  

I think - personally - the reason Softube's products are so expensive is for two reasons:
  • Many of their modelled products are licensed or endorsed by the companies they are modelling, and it costs them to do so.
  • Brand name.  Like it or not, you're paying for a brand name.  This is no different than you paying top dollar for Advil at your local pharmacy instead of buying the exact same ibuprofen from the pharmacy itself.
That just IMHO though! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Last Alternative

29 Jun 2015

Overpriced and sometimes poorly designed (Saturation knob.. no output gain?!) but overall very good quality tools. It's like SnapOn. If you want the best you gotta pay the most. Even then, you don't have to buy all their products. For example, a screwdriver is a screwdriver- nothing special about it & no need to pay SnapOn $100/each when you can get a Craftsman screwdriver for $5 or $10. It's only the specialty tools I'm after when it comes to top names.
Then again, I do feel it's quite unfair to us propellerheads to be charged far more for the RE versions of VST stuff.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Tincture

29 Jun 2015

Sorry but the tube-tech is so overblown in price it's untrue Imo. I now have the kuassa eq and the re-2a. Tried the pultec opti-comp on vst for the attack-release functions etc but wasn't impressed in comparison. I paid 65 euros for the comp and 65 for the bundle eve (incl mp5). 130 euros. Very happy. 349.... Err no. Love their other stuff but they've taken the piss with this one. No loco.

• Information