Could I get some VMG latency advice please?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
submonsterz

28 Jun 2015

so in that case when measuring delay via vmg through a combi you need to minus 64 every time as I see what you are saying here so vmg reads with an added 64 through a combi .so if your chain through the combi comes back as 64 its non latency anything more then its that minus the 64. ill edit my earlier post before someone reads before your reply..

ScuzzyEye

28 Jun 2015

Yeah, that should be a good rule to start with. I always go back to inverting a signal and checking for full cancellation when I'm in doubt. Busing and parallel channels now make that much easier.

Olivier

29 Jun 2015

I've made a vid demonstrating my method. You can find it in this thread: http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7488023
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Puniho

18 Nov 2015

Ok, so I've been trying to get my head around this latency problem and have been demoing the VMG-01. But I can't seem to understand it. When I connect teh test signal up and press the button, I get a zero unless I hold it and then I get a number, but it reverts to zero and pressing it again gives me a different number each time! I'm clearly doing something wrong?

normen

18 Nov 2015

Puniho wrote:Ok, so I've been trying to get my head around this latency problem and have been demoing the VMG-01. But I can't seem to understand it. When I connect teh test signal up and press the button, I get a zero unless I hold it and then I get a number, but it reverts to zero and pressing it again gives me a different number each time! I'm clearly doing something wrong?
It measures *while* you hold the button, if you let go it goes back to display the currently set delay. The different readings could be due to the type of device you try to measure - which one do you try to measure? E.g. chorus type effects or effects that cause a lot of phase shifting through the frequency spectrum can by their nature have varying latency. In general, try to measure the device with as few "effect" dialed in as possible (e.g. a distortion device with few gain, a chorus with few depth etc.)

Heres a link to the manual: http://normenhansen.de/wp-content/uploa ... Manual.pdf

motuscott

18 Nov 2015

Cheers fellas, I think you broke my head.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Puniho

18 Nov 2015

Well, I was trying to set up a pre-master bus as suggested in Eauhm's helpful video. The first send effect I compensated for was Polar and it was straight forward and gave me a noticble improvement in sound. All of a sudden it was like the sound became more focussed. So I then tryeed to do the same for my other send effects to see what difference that would make. The first I tried was the echobode which gives wildly different results on the test. I guess I dont understand the difference in unwelcome latency and phasing and the natural latency and phasing that is part and parcel of these effects? What about reverbs? I tried to measure the Scream and was surprised to find that gives variable test results even on the same patch with the same settings. Also it depends on how wet the device is set. Measuring the Saturation Knob gives me a latency of 3 samples - however, somewhat counterintuitively I get 4 when I measure it with the knob turned down all the way. Whats going on there? Another thing I was wondering then, is if I have measured and compensated for my send devices, doesnt that vary depending on how much dry signal is sent to them?

• Information