Jackbox 7R-909/7R-808 Analog Drum Module are in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Lunesis

24 Jun 2015

pjeudy wrote:By the way why are soundcloud link look sooo big on the forums now ?
http://www.reasontalk.com/post/media-su ... 1287734834

scifunk

25 Jun 2015

There's no shuffle because there's no sequencer - it's just a drum rompler

robgs

25 Jun 2015

Looks good and sounds ok, but not for 39 euros. If they were 27 I'd be more inclined to buy one of them. Let's see if they do a two for one deal.
:reason: :record: :refill: :reload: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Theo.M

25 Jun 2015

I will say this to be frank - i would rather that Mike ported over ADM which does three of the Roland drum boxes (606 808 909) and adds extra features and has a ridiculously easy to use sequencer... to buy these for $80 i'd rather spend that on the one machine and I feel confident eventually it will come. In the meantime there are plenty, and i mean plenty is putting it mildly, of high quality samples and indeed refills of these machines for a fraction of the cost, that you can use with redrum natively without extra cabling..

I am not seeing a huge advantage with these devices.. I have to be honest... If they had extra features and at least an on board easy to use sequencer i would see the value.

the quality of the samples to me sound good, if that's the only thing that was being judged.

But at present I actually can't tell what they can offer me that my current roland drum libraries don't. 

submonsterz

25 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:In the meantime there are plenty, and i mean plenty is putting it mildly, of high quality samples and indeed refills of these machines for mainly free and at a fraction of the cost, that you can use with redrum natively without extra cabling..

But at present I actually can't tell what they can offer me that my current roland drum libraries don't. all accept for 79 Euros less in my pocket.
I fixed a little of your post Theo :)  

MirEko

25 Jun 2015

:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

FATCheese

25 Jun 2015

I think its good for what you pay for.
But why are people always have a negative attitude towards everything?

- It's to expansive
- There are better programs
- It does not sounds the same as the original

I have a TR-8 and I must admid I'm a little biased. But I do think BOOM and 7R-808/909 are good emulations.

The same negative attitude also was there when the TR-8 came out:

It didn't sounds like the original... bla, blah, blah....

For me personally I think Roland is in the best possition to recreate the 808/909/707 and 727 the best. They created the machines.
They actually did listen tests of several 808 and 909's and picked the bests sounds from each instruments and incorporated that into the TR-8. Every 808/909 sounded slightly different because it was all analog.
For a lot of people it's never good enough.

Next time just stop think and give constructive feedback as to why something is not good.

Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

Theo.M

25 Jun 2015

FATCheese wrote:I think its good for what you pay for.

- It's to expansive

I have a TR-8 and I must admid I'm a little biased. But I do think BOOM and 7R-808/909 are good emulations.

The same negative attitude also was there when the TR-8 came out:

It didn't sounds like the original... bla, blah, blah....

For me personally I think Roland is in the best possition to recreate the 808/909/707 and 727 the best. They created the machines.
They actually did listen tests of several 808 and 909's and picked the bests sounds from each instruments and incorporated that into the TR-8. Every 808/909 sounded slightly different because it was all analog.
For a lot of people it's never good enough.

Next time just stop think and give constructive feedback as to why something is not good.
Sorry but I disagree with you completely here.. the negative feedback has been constructive.. There is nothing wrong with giving our honest opinion on the product - after all the dev will know from reaction whether we are interested in it or not. Your post actually doesn't make sense.. You say stop negative feedback but then say give constructive feedback why something is not good.. we have - it doesn't have a step sequencer, and it's overpriced for a set of samples that are available for free or cheap elsewhere. I also do agree with you that the samples are a good set though, and for someone who has absolutely NO 808/909 stuff, and wants an ultra simple interface, this may be a nice investment. But for many of us, we see much better value in something like jiggery pokery kings of kong for $15 that is in refill format that can be used with redrum and offers not only 909 and 808 but 707, 606 and tons of other brands. I can't agree with your way of just praise, that in itself is very UNconstructive if it's not the truth.

Ocean of Waves

25 Jun 2015

I might be mistaken but didn't the dev advertised with samples + synthesis? So there's more to it than just samples, like the 707/727

chimp_spanner

25 Jun 2015

To be clear my criticism wasn't just for giggles; these units are 14EU more than 707/727 and appear to have *less* features. I demo'd the 707/727 with the new mod-box functionality and actually really liked them. Sadly I didn't get them before the EU prices went up but I probably still will at some point.

If the 808/909 get per-drum tuning (with trim pots at the back) and are bundled with 707/727 for a sensible price, I will happily buy the lot. Right now I just can't bring myself to though.

But I will agree they actually sound good. Boom 808 can sound a bit dry/clicky, but has way more tweakability. Maybe Quadelectra would do well to hype up their sample/synthesis hybrid mojo. People like to read about that stuff. It's a big part of the 'psychology' behind wanting to buy it. The vagueness probably isn't helping ;)

But yeah, it's all constructive. None of us are out to hate on Quadelectra!

Theo.M

25 Jun 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:To be clear my criticism wasn't just for giggles; these units are 14EU more than 707/727 and appear to have *less* features. I demo'd the 707/727 with the new mod-box functionality and actually really liked them. Sadly I didn't get them before the EU prices went up but I probably still will at some point.

If the 808/909 get per-drum tuning (with trim pots at the back) and are bundled with 707/727 for a sensible price, I will happily buy the lot. Right now I just can't bring myself to though.

But I will agree they actually sound good. Boom 808 can sound a bit dry/clicky, but has way more tweakability. Maybe Quadelectra would do well to hype up their sample/synthesis hybrid mojo. People like to read about that stuff. It's a big part of the 'psychology' behind wanting to buy it. The vagueness probably isn't helping ;)

But yeah, it's all constructive. None of us are out to hate on Quadelectra!
exactly. we love quadelectra. But i just realised to get all their drums we need over $100 - this is a legitimate question now.. DO these do anything (besides being an Re of course) that Kings of Kong or a good sample set doesn't?

Faastwalker

25 Jun 2015

MirEko wrote:Chuck these in kong http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/tape808.html
Got this myself. Essential for me. Brilliant pack.

Faastwalker

25 Jun 2015

FATCheese wrote:I think its good for what you pay for.

- It's to expansive
I think in this case it's because it's an emulation / sample set of one of the most iconic, recognised & sampled machines in the history of electronic music. It's no wonder it elicits such a response. For Quadelectra it's the metaphorical equivalent of dangling their wedding tackle in a hungry lions gaping jaws! If this was the only 808 emulation available & the 808 hadn't already been sampled to death & made so readily available for such little expenditure (or none at all) then people wouldn't be batting an eye lid at the $39 price tag. Unfortunately this isn't the case.

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jun 2015

I am still trying to simulate the 808 cowbell in Reason. Maybe 2 square waves with bandpass filtering... but either Subtractor or Thor... not close enough. The bass drum is super easy. Using any of the Reason synths. Kong too. 

devilfish

26 Jun 2015

That Kind of RE´s should be free.
In VST-World such Plugins are almost all for free!  

Nothing is special on the Jokeboxes. Not even the sound generation.
Personally, I think it's not good that they offer these Boxes.
I always think of the first VST Plug-ins in Cubase VST 32. 10 years ago :D

And please remember, we're talking about 808 and 909 Drummachines!

EDIT: You can have the Boxes for free (and much more): www.audiotool.com

MirEko

26 Jun 2015

Btw not hating on Quadelectra, love their other products and own a few. Was using their awesome arp tonight.

This just seems like your paying for having freely available samples in a RE GUI. If that's worth the money for some people than all power too them. To me it seems like a bit of a cash grab, if they made it with sequencer and more editing than it would be a different story.
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

-Rkn-

26 Jun 2015

MirEko wrote:...if they made it with sequencer...
:nono:  

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... sequencer/

chimp_spanner

26 Jun 2015

devilfish wrote:That Kind of RE´s should be free.

Well look it is swings and roundabouts. I mean Audiotool is very cool (I posted about it a while ago) but until it can export uncompressed audio it's pretty much useless to me in a production context. It's just a fun toy.

Sadly most free VSTi's are x86 and my install of Cubase Pro 8 is x64. One or two developers have made the jump to 64-bit but for the most part, I have to go commercial. I would like to find a decent 7x7/808/909 synth/sampler actually. I mean Komplete has a handful but I want a dedicated UI and stuff ya know?

But yeah, really, these are sample libraries. If they packaged them at 15-20EU, with those extra features I keep going on about, and then bundled all four jackboxes at like, 25% off or something, then I'd consider it just for the convenience of having some smart-looking, okay-sounding drum machines in my rack that are quicker/easier to edit than Kong/NN-XT.

kloeckno

27 Jun 2015

Some people and their negativity are annoying! It's perfectly OK to say it's too pricy for the features, or it doesn't sound like the real thing, or other legit criticisms. But some people take it over the top and repeatedly complain, as if it is their hobby or they get some kind of sick pleasure out of it. Or that they have some ulterior motive, or a mission in life to teach everyone how foolish they are for not using VSTs.

chimp_spanner

27 Jun 2015

kloeckno wrote:Some people and their negativity are annoying! It's perfectly OK to say it's too pricy for the features, or it doesn't sound like the real thing, or other legit criticisms. But some people take it over the top and repeatedly complain, as if it is their hobby or they get some kind of sick pleasure out of it. Or that they have some ulterior motive, or a mission in life to teach everyone how foolish they are for not using VSTs.
It's only one or two ;) I use and love both RE's and VST's. Reason is just such a different way of working, I think it's silly to compare the two. Different tools, different jobs!

Faastwalker

27 Jun 2015

devilfish wrote:That Kind of RE´s should be free.

Can we take this to mean that you're probably not going to be buying these ones?!

I agree with you though. Feels like we're being asked to pay $39 for the nice GUI given how readily available these sounds are + I've already got classic Roland drum machines sounds coming out of my ears + I've got a very nice sounding MFB-552 (poor mans 808 drum machine) which actually cost about the same as the Quadelectra Jack Boxes = no sale here. End of story. Move along ;)

chimp_spanner

28 Jun 2015

Tincture wrote:Erm... Peff's free 808 refill? /ducks!
Yeah I stumbled across these too. Pretty good! Don't get me wrong though like, I'll happily pay for an all-in-one solution, a nice GUI, good layout. But I wouldn't pay more than like, 10-15 EU for that and even then I'd still expect tuning on all drums at least.

I know I've already made the point but if QE can be more specific about their hybrid technology I think it'd help make the case for the price. I write product copies every day for loop/sample libraries, Kontakt instruments, VSTi's, etc. and I'm always rejecting adverts from producers and developers telling them to highlight any selling points, unique features, etc.

Faastwalker

28 Jun 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:I know I've already made the point but if QE can be more specific about their hybrid technology I think it'd help make the case for the price.
Marketing hyperbole?! I thought these were basically sample based IDT created devices. Then I read this on the RE shop page;
  • "Hybrid. Sample & Synthesis techniques used to accurately emulate the character of the original hardware. No hit is exactly the same for each sound."
So there's apparently a bit more going on here than just 808 / 909 samples. If it was me I'd be shouting this from the rooftops & making a bigger deal of it. What is this Hybrid technology & why are Quadelectra not saying more about it? Hands up who thought this was just samples?

• Information