Which delay RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

24 Jun 2015

I'm trying to do something very simple: set up a sort of "freeze" function on a delay unit so that whatever's in the buffer at the time will loop until I "unfreeze" it. I've been trying to do it with the roll slider on The Echo, but The Echo colours the sound too much and you can hear where the effect kicks in & out too obviously (I'm using it on pads & processed field recordings rather than drums, so the transition needs to be subtle & non-step-rhythmic). No amount of tinkering with wet/dry seems to solve the problem. It's a cinch in Live by the way.

My question: is there a RE that will do this? I have Synchronous, Relapse, Steerpike, Titus, Neutron, 3Plex, Softube, Echobode, Uhbik D and LeSpace - and none of them seems to offer a way, unless I'm missing something.

ScuzzyEye

24 Jun 2015

I'm not exactly sure what effect you're going for, but maybe a looper would work better than a frozen delay. Have you looked at Ochen's Repeat Looper? https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/repeat-looper/

thala

24 Jun 2015

titus bdd mode off = endless clean loop for a lot of bars :)
highly recommended for looping to infinity.

satyr32

24 Jun 2015

Try out either Neutron or Polar. Both habe a freeze button.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

MAL9000

24 Jun 2015

How about buffre?

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Jun 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:I'm trying to do something very simple: set up a sort of "freeze" function on a delay unit so that whatever's in the buffer at the time will loop until I "unfreeze" it. I've been trying to do it with the roll slider on The Echo, but The Echo colours the sound too much and you can hear where the effect kicks in & out too obviously (I'm using it on pads & processed field recordings rather than drums, so the transition needs to be subtle & non-step-rhythmic). No amount of tinkering with wet/dry seems to solve the problem. It's a cinch in Live by the way.

My question: is there a RE that will do this? I have Synchronous, Relapse, Steerpike, Titus, Neutron, 3Plex, Softube, Echobode, Uhbik D and LeSpace - and none of them seems to offer a way, unless I'm missing something.

As Thala says.

Steerpike/Titus were designed specifically to allow this. The Echo is no use here as it's a tape style delay that colours the sound.

You need SP/Tit's BBD Mode OFF (so using the non-sound colouring digital delay mode), set the required delay time, then set Feedback to 100%. With DL Gate ON, play into it to fill the buffer. You can either stop playing, or then turn DL Gate OFF and continue to play while the infinite loop continues, without adding anything more to the loop.

dvdrtldg

24 Jun 2015

Got it! Many thanks, I'd read the manuals but must have forgotten that function.

cheers

• Information