Anyone using the McDSP EQ's?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jmax

21 Jun 2015

i have the McDSP comps but thinking about getting the Eq's. Anyone using them? How are they. I also have the GQ7 on master and use the SSL Eq's. I'd like to have something for quick and easy work too. Or is it better just to hit the Kuassa?

Dante

21 Jun 2015

I'm using the McDSP C670 and E670 for lead vocals and now also for guitars.  Excellant - before discovering these two I was trialing the TubeTech but due to expense I chose the McDSP's and they do just as good a job and are simpler / quicker.

For vocals on the E670 I set the High Freq hard anti-clockwise (4K I think) and give a little boost. 

MDTerps2015

21 Jun 2015

Jmax wrote:i have the McDSP comps but thinking about getting the Eq's. Anyone using them? How are they. I also have the GQ7 on master and use the SSL Eq's. I'd like to have something for quick and easy work too. Or is it better just to hit the Kuassa?
I think the Mc Dsp eq's are a shade below the Kuassa eq's. You should try the Kuassa's along with the Mc DSP's and then make a choice. I have both and dont even use the Mc DSP eq's. I use all Kuassa and Lab One eq's. 

150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Shokstar

22 Jun 2015

these are cool EQ´s but they are still buggy under Windows 7-64bit Ultimate.

For Mac works it well :)

ProfessaKaos

22 Jun 2015

I also really like the E670 on vocals.
I have both the Kuassa and McDSP EQ's, I like the McDSP EQ's more and use them way more often because I feel they sound more natural and smoother when boosting or reducing. I quite like the filters on the Kuassa's and they do sound good I just prefer the sound of the McDSP EQ's most of the time and they are very CPU friendly with no latency.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Jmax

22 Jun 2015

Shokstar wrote:these are cool EQ´s but they are still buggy under Windows 7-64bit Ultimate.

What do you mean by buggy?

Theo.M

22 Jun 2015

Jmax wrote:i have the McDSP comps but thinking about getting the Eq's. Anyone using them? How are they. I also have the GQ7 on master and use the SSL Eq's. I'd like to have something for quick and easy work too. Or is it better just to hit the Kuassa?
MDTerps2015 wrote:
I think the Mc Dsp eq's are a shade below the Kuassa eq's. You should try the Kuassa's along with the Mc DSP's and then make a choice. I have both and dont even use the Mc DSP eq's. I use all Kuassa and Lab One eq's. 
Love kuass'a pultec but just so so on their neve take (1081,1073). I have heard better to be honest..

Really not a fan at all of the lab one EQ's here, have the graphic v1 and Black knight and never use them, as i find them fidgety, especially the Black Knight, and i'm not a fan of the high end.

Just saying that one man's bad is another's treasure. It's all subjective - i definitely think for sweetening EQ's, the mcdsp are amongst the best, and mcdsp also really know how to do a mid range. To answer the OP, everyone should have a pultec, so i recommend kuassa there, as for the mcdsp eq's, they are used every day here.. they have no latency (unlike all kuassa), great sound and use unmeasurable cpu on my ageing laptop. I definitely prefer their curves to the ones on the kuassa eve range. I like trident the best though, but it's heavy on cpu and much more expensive as well as having 4 samples latency (just check for phasing problems, in many cases the latency is not a big deal, only if you are multi tracking similar instruments and frequencies and have say a trident somewhere but not on the rest, something will sound off, so grab normen's VMG to fix it or put BYPASSED trident's on the other channels).

Sure nice to know though with the mcdsp you can insert as many as you want and you don't even have to worry about PDC issues.. 

For an all in one EQ for me, the synapse GEQ-7 is undisputed champion.. Since the mcdsp are for all intents and purposes digital EQ's with no analog circuit modelling, the synapse can be made to sound identical to all three of them as well as giving you alot more control and an analyser.
My EQ advice is this, depending on finances -

1) Number one choice - Synapse GEQ7, Softube Trident and Kuassa Pultec  - perfect complement to one another and honestly between these three and the reason on board EQ they should be able to cover you for all your EQ needs for the rest of your natural life
BONUS choices - DQ1 for dynamic EQ and D filter for quick fixes/sweeps

2) Second best idea is the mcdsp 3 pack and kuassa pultec and the reason native ssl/analyser combo
Bonus Choice - D Filter

3) Uhbik Q, Kuassa Pultec and Factory devices

The rest don't really rate (in comparison to above) to me so i put them in the "all the rest" category as a distant 4th.

Jmax

22 Jun 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:
Theo.M wrote:
Love kuass'a pultec but just so so on their neve take (1081,1073). I have heard better to be honest..

Really not a fan at all of the lab one EQ's here, have the graphic v1 and Black knight and never use them, as i find them fidgety, especially the Black Knight, and i'm not a fan of the high end.

Just saying that one man's bad is another's treasure. It's all subjective - i definitely think for sweetening EQ's, the mcdsp are amongst the best, and mcdsp also really know how to do a mid range. To answer the OP, everyone should have a pultec, so i recommend kuassa there, as for the mcdsp eq's, they are used every day here.. they have no latency (unlike all kuassa), great sound and use unmeasurable cpu on my ageing laptop. I definitely prefer their curves to the ones on the kuassa eve range. I like trident the best though, but it's heavy on cpu and much more expensive as well as having 4 samples latency (just check for phasing problems, in many cases the latency is not a big deal, only if you are multi tracking similar instruments and frequencies and have say a trident somewhere but not on the rest, something will sound off, so grab normen's VMG to fix it or put BYPASSED trident's on the other channels).

Sure nice to know though with the mcdsp you can insert as many as you want and you don't even have to worry about PDC issues.. 

For an all in one EQ for me, the synapse GEQ-7 is undisputed champion.. Since the mcdsp are for all intents and purposes digital EQ's with no analog circuit modelling, the synapse can be made to sound identical to all three of them as well as giving you alot more control and an analyser.

1) Number one choice - Synapse GEQ7, Softube Trident and Kuassa Pultec  - perfect complement to one another and honestly between these three and the reason on board EQ they should be able to cover you for all your EQ needs for the rest of your natural life

2) Second best idea is the mcdsp 3 pack and kuassa pultec and the reason native ssl/analyser combo
Bonus Choice - D Filter

The rest don't really rate (in comparison to above) to me so i put them in the "all the rest" category as a distant 4th.

Thanks for the tips!

You I have the GQ7 and love it. It helps to have the display as well. Do you use it in a lot of different Chanel's or mainly on your master?

Yes I tempted to get all the ones you suggested I guess In the next sale. I like the look of McDSP and seem ultra simple to use.

I'm hearing great things about the McDSP so think I'll grab the eq set and possibly pultec.

Theo.M

22 Jun 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:
Theo.M wrote:

Bonus Choice - D Filter

Jmax wrote: Thanks for the tips! You I have the GQ7 and love it. It helps to have the display as well. Do you use it in a lot of different Chanel's or mainly on your master? Yes I tempted to get all the ones you suggested I guess In the next sale. I like the look of McDSP and seem ultra simple to use.
I use about 10 or so GQ-7 per project,when i really need to fine tune something. For quick sweetening i will usually go to the pultec/trident if cpu available or mcdsp :)

Yonatan

22 Jun 2015

Do the McDSP EQs colorize the sound? Im looking for an EQ almost like softube pultech one, bringing some warmth. Kaussa is too neutral for my need at the moment.

Jmax

22 Jun 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:
Theo.M wrote:

Bonus Choice - D Filter

Jmax wrote: Thanks for the tips! You I have the GQ7 and love it. It helps to have the display as well. Do you use it in a lot of different Chanel's or mainly on your master? Yes I tempted to get all the ones you suggested I guess In the next sale. I like the look of McDSP and seem ultra simple to use.
Theo.M wrote:
I use about 10 or so GQ-7 per project,when i really need to fine tune something. For quick sweetening i will usually go to the pultec/trident if cpu available or mcdsp :)
Would this be the Kuassa bundle to get in I got one ?https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... at-bundle/

Theo.M

22 Jun 2015

Jmax wrote:Would this be the Kuassa bundle to get in I got one ?https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... at-bundle/
no.. they are the neve emulations (nothing special imo, a bit harsh in the highs too)

I am talking about the pultec.. EVE-MP5 Program Equalizer

:) ;)

it has some mojo emulation as well as easily doing the pultec low end trick, which always sounds awesome :) smooth highs too

Jmax

22 Jun 2015

Jmax wrote:Would this be the Kuassa bundle to get in I got one ?https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... at-bundle/
Theo.M wrote:
no.. they are the neve emulations (nothing special imo, a bit harsh in the highs too)

I am talking about the pultec.. 
Theo.M wrote: :) ;)

it has some mojo emulation as well as easily doing the pultec low end trick, which always sounds awesome :) smooth highs too

Jmax

22 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:

I am talking about the pultec.. 
Theo.M wrote: :) ;)

I think it's included in the bundle I but for like $60 Lol. Damn props really knows how to fat you breaking the bank. Honestly I think I'll buy the McDSP eq's Lovs the zero latency and the fact that peoplw say their more 'warm' sounding. Although I've heard some brilliant tracks wkth the Kuassa. It's what you make. not what you use right. I do like quick and easy though and have always been a McDSP.

gak

22 Jun 2015

Just because I'm reading some people talking about GEQ7, that is the most "bring to it's knees" eq of all them. I kinda quick tested it when it was on sale and didn't notice anything odd until you start trying to add multiple instances. In the beta, the analyzer crackles with just one instance. (and the cpu goes a little nuts) 

Anyways, for people considering these eq's, they are unbelievably light cpu wise (but of course they are character eq's and not surgical)

ProfessaKaos

23 Jun 2015

Shokstar wrote:these are cool EQ´s but they are still buggy under Windows 7-64bit Ultimate.

Is the buggy stuff happening under Windows 7 when working in a busy session all band gain knobs stop working until you move the frequency knob of that band?
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Soundcells

23 Jun 2015

I really like the McDSP EQs - very simple and quick to use, and good sounding results!

TheGodOfRainbows

23 Jun 2015

ProfessaKaos wrote:
Is the buggy stuff happening under Windows 7 when working in a busy session all band gain knobs stop working until you move the frequency knob of that band?

I also am experiencing this bug. I'm on W7 Ultimate 64bit. The first project I opened to try out the EQ's, all three of them wouldn't respond to the knobs, unless I keep turning and fiddling with them then they will kick in and respond to the changes, but go right back to being unresponsive again. For this reason, it's VERY hard to use them in my project, which is fairly large, but nothing crazy. Actually, I'm on a 5 year old computer, so my projects are limited to how many devices I can have in the rack, therefore, since my "large" song runs so smoothly without hiccups in Reason 8.2 on a 5 year old PC, I wouldn't say it is a very large project at all really.

I am currently talking to McDSP support about this. As far as I can tell, there are only three people including me that I can find who have this bug: ProfessaKaos and Shokstar.
Have you guys contacted McDSP to let them know about this? If not please do so they will know I'm not the only one. This has been going on at least since May based on your post ProfessaKaos from May 14. So I hope months and years don't go by before they fix it. Especially since apparently so few people have experienced the bug, it will probably be a low priority for them.

Jmax

23 Jun 2015

Soundcells wrote:I really like the McDSP EQs - very simple and quick to use, and good sounding results!
If you are using them I trust they are good then :)

satyr32

23 Jun 2015

I am currently talking to McDSP support about this. As far as I can tell, there are only three people including me that I can find who have this bug: ProfessaKaos and Shokstar.
Take me in :)
I have the same issue on a Mac. But only on high buffer size settings. But it is annoying and i am a bit disappointed especially since it got so good reviews and so much praise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

satyr32

23 Jun 2015

The very first time I used one of the EQs the bug occurred without me knowing. It just thought "wow, this EQ is very subtle...even with 18db gain" Now I feel totally stupid about it  :s0225:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Theo.M

23 Jun 2015

Definitely can't repro it here.. Reason doesn't instigate the discrete graphics on my laptop, it uses the intel 3000, so just to be sure i even turned that off to force the amd card.

I tried all three mcdsp eq's, at 64,128,256,512,1024 and finally 2048 buffer. Man this is gonna be a hard one for them to track down.. only 4 of us so far? That's a blow.. would have been better if it was more widespread cause at least they could track it down easier.

On a positive note, gotta love the high end of the mooooooo! so silky smooth.

Jmax

23 Jun 2015

ProfessaKaos wrote:
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:

I also am experiencing this bug. I'm on W7 Ultimate 64bit. The first project I opened to try out the EQ's, all three of them wouldn't respond to the knobs, unless I keep turning and fiddling with them then they will kick in and respond to the changes, but go right back to being unresponsive again. For this reason, it's VERY hard to use them in my project, which is fairly large, but nothing crazy. Actually, I'm on a 5 year old computer, so my projects are limited to how many devices I can have in the rack, therefore, since my "large" song runs so smoothly without hiccups in Reason 8.2 on a 5 year old PC, I wouldn't say it is a very large project at all really.

I am currently talking to McDSP support about this. As far as I can tell, there are only three people including me that I can find who have this bug:
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:ProfessaKaos 
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:and 
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:Shokstar
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:.
Have you guys contacted McDSP to let them know about this? If not please do so they will know I'm not the only one. This has been going on at least since May based on your post ProfessaKaos from May 14. So I hope months and years don't go by before they fix it. Especially since apparently so few people have experienced the bug, it will probably be a low priority for them.

Can you keep us posted on what the McDSP support says about it. Also have you considered notifying props about the issue?

I just bought them but won't have a chance to test them before Thursday. If there is a problem as suggested I will def be asking props for money back or money added in the account. Other then excited to check them out.

gak

23 Jun 2015

I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Haven't read every single word but is it possible that it's a sample rate thing?

Theo.M

23 Jun 2015

ProfessaKaos wrote:
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:

I am currently talking to McDSP support about this. As far as I can tell, there are only three people including me that I can find who have this bug:
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:ProfessaKaos 
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:and 
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:Shokstar
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:.

Jmax wrote: Can you keep us posted on what the McDSP support says about it. Also have you considered notifying props about the issue? I just bought them but won't have a chance to test them before Thursday. If there is a problem as suggested I will def be asking props for money back or money added in the account. Other then excited to check them out.
Just a quick fyi, props have told me that all RE support besides their own brand lies squarely on the developer and to email them. They made this clear. So much so they can't even fix a simple menu name of an RE (that is actually wrong) from their end. The only people who have any clout in this matter are McDsp - i actually wish props had a bit more of a say on an already released product to be honest, at least to be able to fix basic bugs from their end, but it isn't so.

• Information