Free RE Lite Version

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ckingram2006

21 Jun 2015

Although I think the 30 day trial is a good way to test out RE before making the commitment to buy, I still don't understand why we have yet to see any free instrument RE in the shop. A good compromise would be to have free lite versions that will allow for an extended trial on RE and give the developers of good quality RE the opportunity to sell their full versions. Am I missing something that is preventing this from happening?

Faastwalker

21 Jun 2015

I'd hazard a guess that instruments take a lot more work than the sort of RE's we usually see as freebies. Also to make a 'lite' version of an instrument would be like creating a complete new RE. I don't think it's as simple as chopping bits off & stuffing what's left into a new GUI (which would also require more work to create). I suppose it's possible we might see free IDT instruments ...... maybe. Bit lite versions of full blown instruments? I wouldn't hold your breath. Well, not for more than 30 days anyway ;)

ckingram2006

21 Jun 2015

Yes, I have. I didn't really count it but I guess it would be considered an instrument.

eXode

22 Jun 2015

ckingram2006 wrote:Although I think the 30 day trial is a good way to test out RE before making the commitment to buy, I still don't understand why we have yet to see any free instrument RE in the shop. A good compromise would be to have free lite versions that will allow for an extended trial on RE and give the developers of good quality RE the opportunity to sell their full versions. Am I missing something that is preventing this from happening?
People need an income to pay rent, to put food on their tables, and to support their families. There is your biggest reason for why someone wouldn't do a good quality RE instrument for free, in my humble opinion.

If you ask me, a free lite version would mostly exist as an excuse for people not to buy the full version.

However a paid for lite, or player version that is patch compatible could perhaps be OK for both parties. Time is money after all, and time spent on developing one thing is time lost on developing something else.

Nirude

22 Jun 2015

Would it be possible to export a RE with Save patch/Load Patch Disabled? (and that would be free)
3d man.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2015

There are people who find reasons not to pay and those who find reasons to pay. If 30 days isn't enough, no extra amount of time will change that.

True

22 Jun 2015

Faastwalker wrote:I don't think it's as simple as chopping bits off & stuffing what's left into a new GUI
Indeed. Think about an RE like Antidote or Predator with lots of effects and options, and let's say that RE used 3 bars of DSP. If the developer simplifies the effects and options but still uses all the same algorithms and incorporates as much as they can to retain the character of the RE, then a LOT of that processing will still be there, still taking up DSP. People would start complaining that such a simple RE should only take up 1 bar of DSP instead of 3 bars. If I were the developer, I would say that isn't worth the trade-off that someday a few of those people using it might decide to pay -- I'd say it's more likely they would just stop using it altogether, which would mean that at best I had wasted my time.

joeyluck

22 Jun 2015

There is the Predator PL which might be worth checking out. This of course is not free, but cheaper for those looking to forego the control in place of great presets.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PredatorPL

Exowildebeest

22 Jun 2015

ckingram2006 wrote:Although I think the 30 day trial is a good way to test out RE before making the commitment to buy, I still don't understand why we have yet to see any free instrument RE in the shop. A good compromise would be to have free lite versions that will allow for an extended trial on RE and give the developers of good quality RE the opportunity to sell their full versions. Am I missing something that is preventing this from happening?
eXode wrote:
People need an income to pay rent, to put food on their tables, and to support their families. There is your biggest reason for why someone wouldn't do a good quality RE instrument for free, in my humble opinion.

If you ask me, a free lite version would mostly exist as an excuse for people not to buy the full version.

However a paid for lite, or player version that is patch compatible could perhaps be OK for both parties. Time is money after all, and time spent on developing one thing is time lost on developing something else.
That said, parallel development of a light version of, say, a big synth, and offering the light version for free is not something I'd consider totally unlikely. JP got close with his Ammo series.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

22 Jun 2015

Nirude wrote:Would it be possible to export a RE with Save patch/Load Patch Disabled? (and that would be free)
Cool idea, I'm not interested in saving or loading patches :D !

Bonkhead

22 Jun 2015

Nirude wrote:Would it be possible to export a RE with Save patch/Load Patch Disabled? (and that would be free)
Combi's can always save patches

thala

23 Jun 2015

ckingram2006 wrote:I still don't understand why we have yet to see any free instrument RE in the shop
cause you havent made one... maybe you should do it, just for learning how much work it is. but keep in mind: you have to pass the quality check of propellerheads and write a complete documentation...
sorry but reason is another world than vsts without quality check...
i know there are good vsts. free ones as well as expensive ones that are worth its money. but there are tons of chrashing crap.
i like that propellerheads are keeping an eye on our rack. thanks

• Information