onyx limiter on sale again

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
decibel

21 Jun 2015

Theo.M

27 Jun 2015

decibel wrote:on sale for $19 until 31st july

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/onyx-limiter/
wow that's it's lowest price ever.. obviously to counteract ozone price drop...

I regretted this one for $25 so my best advice is even at such a cheap price, try not to be swayed by price alone and give it a good workout - most of all compare it to ozone/kuassa/mclass on a variety of sources, say 4 or 5 different styles of completed mixed pre mastered songs, and check from 1 db GR all the way to heavy say 5 or 6 db. 

KnowKontrol

27 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:

I regretted this one for $25 so my best advice is even at such a cheap price, try not to be swayed by price alone and give it a good workout - most of all compare it to ozone/kuassa/mclass on a variety of sources, say 4 or 5 different styles of completed mixed pre mastered songs, and check from 1 db GR all the way to heavy say 5 or 6 db. 

So theo are you saying its not a good limiter? I am often swayed by sales... and prefer not to be duped.  

Tincture

27 Jun 2015

Just try it yourself and see what you think. Having said that I find I have always gone back to ozone so far. Maybe I'll like Onyx better on guitar stuff?

Theo.M

28 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:

KnowKontrol wrote:

So theo are you saying its not a good limiter? I am often swayed by sales... and prefer not to be duped.  
You should probably try it for yourself as it's possible you would love it. I am like you and often get swayed by sales as I was in this case, yet I haven't bought an RE in months.. I finally have a grip on controlling myself ;)
I don't like to say too  much bad about anything anymore but this one smushes the transients to me in an unpleasant manner. I however still have some use for it (when i buy something I have to find a way to use it lol) - i have it on my master with ISP enabled as a mixing safety protector for my ear and speakers, in case of noise bursts/errant peaks etc. it's low latency so it's useful for that without affecting my RE playing latency much (not noticeable). When it comes time to master I delete it and put ozone in it's place.
It can also be used to add some warmth to individual sounds via the tube drive. As a master limiter I would never consider using it though, and that's the truth. It actually totally changes the mix I have worked so hard on. 

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2015

Hi

I like Onyx. It definitely colors the sound. I only switch it in right at the end of Finalizing a track to get the Onyx boost. Occasionally I don't like the sound it gives and switch back to M-Class but otherwise my last few albums have been brightened and Limited by Onyx.

As Theo says you really need to check if the Onyx sound suits you.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

gak

28 Jun 2015

Swayed by sales? No. Not me, not ever. Nope, (starting to sweat) huh unh. Never going to happen here (starts to shake) Ok, I'm not doing this. Nada gonna happen. 

submonsterz

28 Jun 2015

I prefere onyx above all other limiters in reason.
Personal choice yes I can get it to colour the sound hardly at all and push the crap out of it.
Do your self a favour guys and look at ozone at exact same settings as onyx in a program you can actually see what is going on and how it keeps your peaks rounded and not flattened like ozone and the others do . Round peaks equals good flat peaks equals bad you're losing info and at a lower loudness scale. I tried saying it before but obviously no one went and actually looked out side of reason to see and know why it is better for your peaks ......... The colouring is pretty easy to suss by changing ya eq settings on ya mix into it simple. After you have mix how you want in the master add a spare eq before the limiter after your mix eq then just Dail in either the reductions of gains of what you do not like about the coloured sound of onyx just make adjustment .

ProfessaKaos

29 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote: I don't like to say too  much bad about anything anymore but this one smushes the transients to me in an unpleasant manner. I however still have some use for it (when i buy something I have to find a way to use it lol) - i have it on my master with ISP enabled as a mixing safety protector for my ear and speakers, in case of noise bursts/errant peaks etc. it's low latency so it's useful for that without affecting my RE playing latency much (not noticeable). When it comes time to master I delete it and put ozone in it's place.
It can also be used to add some warmth to individual sounds via the tube drive. As a master limiter I would never consider using it though, and that's the truth. It actually totally changes the mix I have worked so hard on. 
I remember us discussing this smushing on the old forums and I still feel it does it but more so when used on the master. I find it tends to sound better on individual instruments/sounds as it can add some character while getting a bit of extra perceived loudness with no latency, so I wouldn't think of it as a mastering tool but a mixing one.
I'm also not much of a fan of Maximizers on the master which alter the tonal quality of the mix which I just spent hours/days/weeks coming up with.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

• Information