DSP usage

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MDTerps2015

17 Jun 2015

I think i read somewhere that if your DAW is running in 64 bit as opposed to 32 bit your DSP usage would be lower. I think i saw this watching a video on Reaper DAW. Does anyone know if this is true and if so does it apply to RE's in Reason????????? 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

EnochLight

17 Jun 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:I think i read somewhere that if your DAW is running in 64 bit as opposed to 32 bit your DSP usage would be lower. I think i saw this watching a video on Reaper DAW. Does anyone know if this is true and if so does it apply to RE's in Reason????????? 
Performance parity between 32bit Reason and 64bit Reason is about the same when I last tested, but that was back in the 8.1 days. Since 8.2 I stopped testing 32bit.

The only advantage to 64bit in Reason is to be able to load large sample sets, 24 bit samples, etc, since Reason loads all samples into RAM.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ScuzzyEye

17 Jun 2015

There are additional SIMD instructions available to programs compiled for 64-bit CPUs. So that may improve performance. But yeah, the biggest thing is memory addressing. Not only being able to access more total memory, but how all memory appears to a 64-bit program vs. a 32-bit. 32-bit programs can access more than 2 GB of RAM, but they have to use paging tricks. With 64-bit addressing the entire memory space is flat.

• Information