Multi Band Distortion and Compressors

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
freeQlow

14 Jun 2015

Curious what's available and what is the best?

Something similar to Fab Filters Saturn would be dope!

pjeudy

14 Jun 2015

the best I have ever used in REASON is Mutagen Multiband Distortion !! 
The same goes for Relapse Multiband Delay !!!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2015

Great thing with Reason is if you like something but it doesn't do what you want then there is a fair chance you can make something that does.

If you use a few M-Class Stereo units to split and a few Scream (or drive of choice) then you have a very flexible multi-band paint stripper

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

decibel

14 Jun 2015

might be a good place to find your feet ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peRA6SR4D_4

freeQlow

15 Jun 2015

Benedict wrote:Great thing with Reason is if you like something but it doesn't do what you want then there is a fair chance you can make something that does.

If you use a few M-Class Stereo units to split and a few Scream (or drive of choice) then you have a very flexible multi-band paint stripper

:)
Nice idea, thanks for sharing!

hightrancesea

15 Jun 2015

Yeah, for multi-band compression I used to use just M-Class Compressors hooked to M-Class Stereo Imagers (for the band splitting). Lately I've been using 4Dyne---its lookahead function is really useful, and the ability to use just its band-splitter is also great for other effects.  However, the caveat is that the cutoff frequency seems to behave differently based on your sample rate (what you are running the audio device at); I use Reason's spectrum analyzer to verify the actual cutoff.  I also haven't really gotten its maximizer to work as a brickwall limiter yet, not sure if it's possible.

boobytrap

16 Jun 2015

Use Yoko Band Splitter

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -splitter/

It's the best way to make multi band. And very simple.

Whole M-Class is now outdated to me.

Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

thotbott

16 Jun 2015

also with the 4 dyne, using a lot of distortion before it and using the gate on it, you will nearly deafen yourself with the clicks and pops it can put out when changing the ratio dials

O1B

16 Jun 2015

A 'Saturn' Port would be Glorious.  
freeQlow wrote:Curious what's available and what is the best?

Something similar to Fab Filters Saturn would be dope!

boobytrap

16 Jun 2015

The best destrotion plugin is Ohmicide. Better than Saturn. Second scream 4.
Use Yoko band splitter with scream4. That's the best option available. Me also tried everything for MB destrotion in REASON.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

geronimo

16 Jun 2015

Don't forget MAUL by FXpansion _

devilfish

16 Jun 2015

Take some Audio Splitters and hook up 2-5 Thor's to Filter the needed Frequencies.
Also take a Reverb or Delay or other FX/Filter or more before or after distortion individual bands.
It is also possible to Split some Bands again and Build an Envelope Follower (Create CV from Audio) to Modulate some Knobs ;)
Do what you want to do!

Edit: and don't forget a Dry/Wet Build in your Combinator!!

O1B

17 Jun 2015

This

"I prefer Saturn, as I find it's more useable. Ohmicide would be a better choice if you're really trying to mangle things.  "
https://www.dubstepforum.com/forum/view ... 8&t=273387

Mangle away.
boobytrap wrote:The best destrotion plugin is Ohmicide. Better than Saturn. Second scream 4. Use Yoko band splitter with scream4. That's the best option available. Me also tried everything for MB destrotion in REASON.

Theo.M

20 Jun 2015

pjeudy wrote:the best I have ever used in REASON is Mutagen Multiband Distortion !! 
The same goes for Relapse Multiband Delay !!!!
I am with you there.. those two are in the must have/top shelf category, especially for those into a bit of creative mangling in a very easy to use way.
The dev has also done something very important for a multiband effect, decent crossovers - I have said it before but will say it again, the delay is really good for distorted feedback delays (much more intense than the props echo). The distortion is pretty wild and extreme, but mixing and matching different styles on different bands can be quite fun. Also, you can make the whole thing just one band and apply the effect to everything, and cpu usage drops in this case. Overall when in HQ mode and 3 bands, I would like to see a cpu reduction, but other than that, no complaints.

dhruan

04 Jul 2015

Mutagen sounds way too digital for my taste (experienced the same with RP Distort). I went through all of the presets last week, tried various wet-dry settings etc. Dang. Well, still have time to demo it and try to get more than a few cool sounds out of it.

SoundMod Tritone is my go to device for multiband nowadays... and homebrew is of course always an option, usually with really gnarly results (4Dyne + Scream/Predator's waveshaper or multidistortion/Kuassa amps/Dynarage/etc.). Fun stuff :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

freeQlow

14 Jul 2015

You guys all rock!
Some great shares.
Mutagen, Relapse and Yoko all look promising.

I need to get going on some chains, I mean combos!

bgold

14 Jul 2015

Hi, I actually got into developing RE's to scratch this itch (among others) myself. I made a 3-band crossover/compressor that's ready for beta-testing, if anyone's interested. It has a choice of four good (IMO) crossovers, the compressors can function as expanders, and there's a "sharpness" knob to adjust the transition that if you turn all the way soft lets it act in some ways like a distortion unit.

Just post/message me your username and I can add you to the beta-test list (this may be optimistic, but I may have to cap the number if I get -too- many takers, so first-come first-served).

freeQlow

14 Jul 2015

bgold wrote:Hi, I actually got into developing RE's to scratch this itch (among others) myself. I made a 3-band crossover/compressor that's ready for beta-testing, if anyone's interested. It has a choice of four good (IMO) crossovers, the compressors can function as expanders, and there's a "sharpness" knob to adjust the transition that if you turn all the way soft lets it act in some ways like a distortion unit.

Just post/message me your username and I can add you to the beta-test list (this may be optimistic, but I may have to cap the number if I get -too- many takers, so first-come first-served).
I'll take it for a spin!@

bgold

15 Jul 2015

Derp, should've mentioned this too: I fully intend to offer a significant discount (thinking 2/3 off, but need to verify pricing with Props) to beta-testers that give feedback!

• Information