Soundiron Emotional Piano in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Kazz

12 Jun 2015

Had anyone who's trialling it tried to change the values of parameters through CV into a Combinator? Are they accessible that way?

I know it's not a good replacement for a knob, but it might be worth checking to see if you can adjust it that way or not.

Jmax

13 Jun 2015

Ran through some of the patches in the vid. Excited to see a new piano in reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuOuPn ... e=youtu.be

pjeudy

13 Jun 2015

Jmax wrote:Ran through some of the patches in the vid. Excited to see a new piano in reason.

Do you own Radical Piano ?
I would love for you to do a Video playing those same notes with Radical Piano and Emotional Piano !or do a straight up comparison video!

One big draw back for me is that they added there effects chain in the patch ...that means users have zero control on how much effects to have or any for there own Music...which is very surprising from a music/sound company. How does Soundiron  know how much FX to add for your own music? unless they expect to be played only in solo.

But yes I agree I think at what is sounds like it's really good, but at times it sounds muffled.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

tiker01

13 Jun 2015

I have no interest in a piano whatsoever. The only thing I want to say is try not to scare away developers as it happened before with Sugarbytes and U-He. I appreciate Soundirons effort and suggest them to keep refining their Re development skills and this promising IDT Piano. I`m sure there are lots of other developers in the Re developer forum besids PH themself who could help them in terms of Reason users expectations and solutions to meet them.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

pjeudy

13 Jun 2015

tiker01 wrote:I`m sure there are lots of other developers in the Re developer forum besids PH themself who could help them in terms of Reason users expectations and solutions to meet them.
I was thinking about something along those lines today.
Any new RE or Vst developer who want to get an idea of what users might want or expect, all they have to do is Read the Rack Extension forum that's it !
the kinds of thing being said on this thread have been said countless of times during other device release.

Those dev will find opinions on:
GUI : bad color,text too small etc...
Features : not enough, poor placements, missing control/parameters etc...
Price : nuf said !
bugs : if the dev only tested using his own machine and Props quality control department "who sometimes miss thing also"

P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

tiker01

13 Jun 2015

tiker01 wrote:I`m sure there are lots of other developers in the Re developer forum besids PH themself who could help them in terms of Reason users expectations and solutions to meet them.
pjeudy wrote:
Any new RE or Vst developer who want to get an idea of what users might want or expect, all they have to do is Read the Rack Extension forum that's it !
the kinds of thing being said on this thread have been said countless of times during other device release.

Price : not said !
bugs : if the dev only tested using his own machine and Props quality control department "who sometimes miss thing also"

Well we might should create a Gudline (i.e. expectations list etc.) for Re developers from the Reason users and ask PH to include a link to in their Re developer guideline. Especially now as devs will be able to create 2D (maybe falt) GUI-s.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

selig
RE Developer

13 Jun 2015

pjeudy wrote:

Price : not said !

tiker01 wrote:
Well we might should create a Gudline (i.e. expectations list etc.) for Re developers from the Reason users and ask PH to include a link to in their Re developer guideline. Especially now as devs will be able to create 2D (maybe falt) GUI-s.

This is another "myth" here - developers have always been able to create 2D looking designs if they want, especially since the Custom Display was introduced (look at Synchronous as one example). The ONLY thing that has changed, THE ONLY THING (for emphasis) is that NOW you can use 2D elements to create the final "look".

To further clarify, there is NOTHING, absolutely nothing different about how the devices should LOOK to the end user. The SAME EXACT "rules" apply as before.

In other words, and to further clarify because this keeps coming up, if you could have a "flat" GUI before, you can have it now too. If you couldn't, then you STILL CAN'T! 

It's not at all accurate to say that "developers are now able to create 2D GUIs". What IS accurate is that 2D elements (that can LOOK as 3D as any existing RE) CAN be used to create these devices. This will mainly apply to existing graphics for VST developers that will allow them to more quickly convert their existing assets to the RE platform.

Again, NOTHING about the "rules" of how an RE looks has changed, so I don't know where this idea that suddenly REs are going to be looking more "2D" is coming from.

That is all…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

13 Jun 2015

pjeudy wrote:Do you own Radical Piano ?
I would love for you to do a Video playing those same notes with Radical Piano and Emotional Piano !or do a straight up comparison video!

One big draw back for me is that they added there effects chain in the patch ...that means users have zero control on how much effects to have or any for there own Music...which is very surprising from a music/sound company. How does Soundiron  know how much FX to add for your own music? unless they expect to be played only in solo.

But yes I agree I think at what is sounds like it's really good, but at times it sounds muffled.
I received a response from Soundiron and posted it. You'll find it on the last page.

They are saying that they are single instances of impulses. It would be great to have control over selecting impulses and the mix, but they ran into a snag.

That being said, the default patch/init patch (and a variation of which I uploaded), are all free of any convolution. Consider the rest for now a bonus.

I appreciate effects built-in to devices as well. But for the most part, they serve as inspiration... Because as soon as I start writing a song, I'm turning the built-in effects off and using fx sends and insert effects for cohesiveness.

I pointed out to them that Reason 8.3's RV7000 MkII has a convolution algorithm and can load impulses. So, I'd much rather have any impulses that Soundiron intends to be used with Emotional Piano to have in order to use separately and be able to use on other things along side it.

That being said. I would mostly judge the dry patches. And consider the rest a bonus. This is a remarkable sounding piano and offers something different. I'm not an either/or guy in this situation. I own Abbey Road Keys, Reason Pianos, and Radical Piano. And this has it's place right alongside them.

pjeudy

13 Jun 2015

tiker01 wrote: Well we might should create a Gudline (i.e. expectations list etc.) for Re developers from the Reason users and ask PH to include a link to in their Re developer guideline.
I just think that there are plenty of opportunity for developer to express there own vision and still keep an eye out for things they could work/improve on by reading The Rack Extension forum...I don't know of any other place where they will find quick feed back on a there devices other then buyers e-mailing them there thanks and opinions.

Jmax

13 Jun 2015

Jmax wrote:Ran through some of the patches in the vid. Excited to see a new piano in reason.

pjeudy wrote:
Do you own Radical Piano ?

One big draw back for me is that they added there effects chain in the patch ...that means users have zero control on how much effects to have or any for there own Music...which is very surprising from a music/sound company. How does 
pjeudy wrote:Soundiron
pjeudy wrote:  know how much FX to add for your own music? unless they expect to be played only in solo.

I do own Radical piano and played through it yesterday for a while.  I was going to compare it with Emotional Piano but quickly came to the conclusion that Radical Keys isn't using any samples of an actual piano. It's simply a Wurlitzer, Rhodes and Hohner Pianet I believe. The sound of emotional piano should only be compared to the Reason Pianos or other actual sampled piano library. That being said of course the Radical Keys has many more features and you can make it sound much like a true piano but still to me it doesn't have the depth that the others do.  Emotional piano especially the top end is very nice, perfect actually. Now the price just needs to be about $60 and I would buy it.  Hope it gets added to the sale list at some point.

Exowildebeest

13 Jun 2015

@ Jmax - you might be confusing Radical Piano and Radical Keys? :)

Jmax

13 Jun 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:@ Jmax - you might be confusing Radical Piano and Radical Keys? :)
You know I totally am! ha. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Theo.M

23 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:
I received a response from Soundiron and posted it. You'll find it on the last page.

They are saying that they are single instances of impulses. It would be great to have control over selecting impulses and the mix, but they ran into a snag.

That being said, the default patch/init patch (and a variation of which I uploaded), are all free of any convolution. Consider the rest for now a bonus.

I appreciate effects built-in to devices as well. But for the most part, they serve as inspiration... Because as soon as I start writing a song, I'm turning the built-in effects off and using fx sends and insert effects for cohesiveness.

I pointed out to them that Reason 8.3's RV7000 MkII has a convolution algorithm and can load impulses. So, I'd much rather have any impulses that Soundiron intends to be used with Emotional Piano to have in order to use separately and be able to use on other things along side it.

That being said. I would mostly judge the dry patches. And consider the rest a bonus. This is a remarkable sounding piano and offers something different. I'm not an either/or guy in this situation. I own Abbey Road Keys, Reason Pianos, and Radical Piano. And this has it's place right alongside them.

just an idea here.. but first to clarify.. are you sure they meant that they couldn't even put a wet/dry knob there... or that they meant one couldn't choose impulses from a preset menu?

If the former, I am rather stunned.. Props need to fix this - perhaps there are other reasons devs are slow to take up the IDT format.. besides the commission perhaps they are not impressed with such limitations? Anyway just speculative food for thought.

But my idea, if the former, is this. Have soundiron create 100 extra patches, say another 4 for each one that has an impulse, with varying degrees of wetness.. that would work.
say 80%, 60%, 40%, 20%
Idea??

joeyluck

23 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:

Theo.M wrote:
just an idea here.. but first to clarify.. are you sure they meant that they couldn't even put a wet/dry knob there... or that they meant one couldn't choose impulses from a preset menu?

If the former, I am rather stunned.. Props need to fix this - perhaps there are other reasons devs are slow to take up the IDT format.. besides the commission perhaps they are not impressed with such limitations? Anyway just speculative food for thought.

But my idea, if the former, is this. Have soundiron create 100 extra patches, say another 4 for each one that has an impulse, with varying degrees of wetness.. that would work.
say 80%, 60%, 40%, 20%
Idea??
Correct. I believe they are saying that they can't make it so that the user can select impulses from presets and they don't want a wet-dry knob that does nothing on other presets where an impulse is not assigned. I think they are waiting for a more elegant solution.

I offered this idea to them...
Since the RV7000 mkII can load impulses, just make those impulses available as RV7000 patches and save them with the Emotional Piano as Combi patches. Then the user can have much more control than just a dry/wet knob anyways. True, this would only benefit Reason 8.3 users, but it's something and to me seems like a more elegant solution.

I personally would remove all convolution from the device itself, and make those impulses available separately, but that's just me. In the meantime, I have been 'combining' my default patch with some of the effect patches and then mixing between them to taste. It works pretty well.

Theo.M

24 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:

Theo.M wrote:

say 80%, 60%, 40%, 20%
Idea??
joeyluck wrote:
Correct. I believe they are saying that they can't make it so that the user can select impulses from presets and they don't want a wet-dry knob that does nothing on other presets where an impulse is not assigned. I think they are waiting for a more elegant solution.

Since the RV7000 mkII can load impulses, just make those impulses available as RV7000 patches and save them with the Emotional Piano as Combi patches. Then the user can have much more control than just a dry/wet knob anyways. True, this would only benefit Reason 8.3 users, but it's something and to me seems like a more elegant solution.

I personally would remove all convolution from the device itself, and make those impulses available separately, but that's just me. In the meantime, I have been 'combining' my default patch with some of the effect patches and then mixing between them to taste. It works pretty well.
nope thats silly too if thats the case. they should simply call wet patches wet so we would know the wet dry knob would only work on them. It wont take much to say in the manual, the wet dry knob only works on presets marked "W" otherwise has no effect. One line. I presented two real solutions now that i will contact them with, that would let all re sdk 2 users even on R7 to take advantage :)

joeyluck

24 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:

Theo.M wrote:

say 80%, 60%, 40%, 20%
Idea??
joeyluck wrote:

Theo.M wrote:
nope thats silly too if thats the case. they should simply call wet patches wet so we would know the wet dry knob would only work on them. It wont take much to say in the manual, the wet dry knob only works on presets marked "W" otherwise has no effect. One line. I presented two real solutions now that i will contact them with, that would let all re sdk 2 users even on R7 to take advantage :)
True. Sounds good. Makes sense to me. 
I say they might as well do both :)
Wouldn't hurt to supply users with the impulses as RV7000 patches as well for more flexibility in editing the reverb/effect if they wish.

Oh... back to the indicator—maybe they could do an LED above the Wet/Dry knob to show it is active?

Theo.M

24 Jun 2015

Absolutely would be awesome to have the impulses in RV7K format.. sorry if it seemed i meant the opposite.. I just meant as an only solution it wasn't suited to all. 

I feel a bit more thought could have gone into this from the dev as the answers they gave you were a bit generic instead of trying to look for alternatives that took you and I mere moments to come up with.

As it stands, I don't know if you are reading here Soundiron, but I as a potential customer have no interest in spending 100 bucks on a piano where i have no control whatsoever over the wetness.. that's simply something I would never consider from any dev or product as to mix in my own music (this applies to anyone IMO), i have to have at minimum control over how *much* verb is present. I think that's a very reasonable request, and I think there would be quite a few others in agreement from experience. I say, look past IDT shortcomings, and just give us options even if they aren't  "100% ideal" :)

On the other hand, i adore the sound demos, adored the kontakt version, and if i can see some progress in making it a bit more useable, it becomes an instabuy here :)
PS Joey Luck re wet dry knob and led, i agree too but that depends on whether they can tell the wet dry parameter to do so. I would think they could but only they and props know.

• Information