Soundiron Emotional Piano in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Yonatan

12 Jun 2015

Emotional Piano

€99.00

Custom-built Rack Extension version of Soundiron's famous scoring virtual grand piano: Emotional Piano. Deep and warm, Emotional Piano is the perfect choice for emotive songwriting and brooding underscores.

Product details
The Emotional Piano Rack Extension is a custom-built version of Soundiron's legendary virtual grand piano designed for Reason. This deeply sampled walnut bodied grand piano library has a deep, warm and ponderous sound absolutely perfect for profoundly emotive songwriting and deep, brooding underscores. We focused on capturing the exceptionally wide, resonant warmth and velvety softness of a gorgeous Kawai grand to capture just the right character. The sound of a piano is defined by a thousand things, from the lacquer on the wood to the hardness of the hammer felts. Our goal was to find the softest, deepest, most resonant, rich, lush, warm and truly soulful sound we could imagine in a grand piano - a sound to express our hearts and souls with. You'll find it perfectly captured here, in the Emotional Piano.
The user interface allows custom shaping of the sound from softening of the transient to release damping. Also included are a wide variety of presets that transport Emotional Piano to different places using Soundiron's own professionally recorded convolution impulses.
Features
  • Deep-sampled Kawai Grand Piano
  • All 88 keys sampled with at least 6 velocity layers
  • Sound shaping controls to tweak and customize the piano
  • Pedal action samples
  • Presets place Emotional Piano in a variety of unique simulated spaces
Specifications
  • 1.17 GB
  • 41 Presets

Yonatan

12 Jun 2015

Great to have some different options for grand piano in the shop!

Would love to have audio I/O to this piano module, just like the Radical Piano.

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2015

This does sound good. The demos have mechanical noise. I wonder how that is managed in the player.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Yonatan

12 Jun 2015

Let us hear what any tester says. I cannot buy this RE this summer so am saving my trial until later.

gullum

12 Jun 2015

I sure sound amazing listening to the demos, But I'm also holding on to my money, to much summer activity to spend money on.

pjeudy

12 Jun 2015

All I want to know is "Did someone alert joeyluck" !?!  :)
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

riemac

12 Jun 2015

Rating in the shop already dropt to 3 stars !

Can anybody tell us his experience please.

Thanks

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

12 Jun 2015

First impression on the Default is lovely, but subsequent patch levels are way, way, waaaaaay too hot, it's very easy to clip with a loud, left-hand chord.

But having 39 preset effect chains, enabled directly via the repatch, rather than allow it via GUI, with a least a bit of extra tweakability is a bit curious, especially with generic names that the values use. Not even control of reverb amount?

The Default patch and some of the room spaces are very nice.

I've not rated it yet: it definitely needs an update to fix the patch levels and at least add some control of the effects, even if it's just one or two parameters per preset; plus Reverb level or dry/wet.

The actual piano sound itself, well, that's beautiful and gorgeous and makes me gooey. The GUI just feels a bit ... half-hearted, as if the emotion during creation was depression rather than joy.

joeyluck

12 Jun 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:But having 39 preset effect chains, enabled directly via the repatch, rather than allow it via GUI, with a least a bit of extra tweakability is a bit curious, especially with generic names that the values use. Not even control of reverb amount?
It is odd. It had me looking for a page or expand button. I was thinking, "Ok, maybe this is the first Rack Extension that can expand!"  

JNeffLind

12 Jun 2015

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: :s0221: ( and did I mention?)

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

secretservkgb

12 Jun 2015

After a quick demo, this made me appreciate my Radical Piano even more.  The demos sounded so beautiful, but I think 3 stars is a correct assessment.  The Emotional Piano just sounds unnatural even with the pedal artifacts.  I can tweak Radical Pianos to my liking to sound like Emotional Piano plus more.

Exowildebeest

12 Jun 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:
The actual piano sound itself, well, that's beautiful and gorgeous and makes me gooey. The GUI just feels a bit ... half-hearted, as if the emotion during creation was depression rather than joy.
Then again, your latest RE looks prettier than it sounds :P

/ducks

JNeffLind

12 Jun 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:But having 39 preset effect chains, enabled directly via the repatch, rather than allow it via GUI, with a least a bit of extra tweakability is a bit curious, especially with generic names that the values use. Not even control of reverb amount?
joeyluck wrote:
It is odd. It had me looking for a page or expand button. I was thinking, "Ok, maybe this is the first Rack Extension that can expand!"  

I trust Jedi Joey and Jedi Jiggery will help Sound Iron to sort these things out with some feedback. As a trifling Paduan, I'll just be plunking away on my keyboard, grinning like a fool, waiting on an update.

It's an insta-buy for me for sure.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

12 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:

JNeffLind wrote:
I trust Jedi Joey and Jedi Jiggery will help Sound Iron to sort these things out with some feedback. As a trifling Paduan, I'll just be plunking away on my keyboard, grinning like a fool, waiting on an update.

Yeah, it just needs some iteration. The piano itself sounds better, to me anyway, than those used on RadPi. They compare far more favourably with Reason Pianos ReFill. It's leagues better than that wierd and buggy freefill thing MediaSVI posted.

The Default Emotional patch Release time is too long: anyone using a serious, and not inexpensive, set of piano samples like this will have a sustain pedal, so the Release time being set is unnecessary (it actually gets in the way), and the default release resonance is arguably too high.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

12 Jun 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:
Then again, your latest RE looks prettier than it sounds :P

/ducks
Yeah, yeah, go ahead, I can take it!

:bawl:

Olivier

12 Jun 2015

Beautifully sampled, lovely and rich piano.. but too gooey and muffled for my taste. I prefer a bit more air.
The default patch also doesn't do it justice. Release is too long, and the release volume is way way way too high.

Radical Piano i like a lot. Its the best playable piano for me. It behaves like i expect a piano to behave. But indeed, the samples can be lots better.
So for now i'll stay with RadPi... and Kontakt ( cos i have Pearl by impact soundworks :P )
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

joeyluck

12 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:

JNeffLind wrote:

JiggeryPokery wrote:
Yeah, it just needs some iteration. The piano itself sounds better, to me anyway, than those used on RadPi. They compare far more favourably with Reason Pianos ReFill. It's leagues better than that wierd and buggy freefill thing MediaSVI posted.

The Default Emotional patch Release time is too long: anyone using a serious, and not inexpensive, set of piano samples like this will have a sustain pedal, so the Release time being set is unnecessary (it actually gets in the way), and the default release resonance is arguably too high.
I did notice that the release volume on the 'reset' device is a little bit lower than the default patch. Not sure it makes a big difference though...

It did take me a minute to realize what 'Release Volume' meant with it being found right next to 'Release' on the device. I was thinking it was also associated with the envelope curve—tied to 'Release.' I now understand that it controls the volume of the release samples (key up). On Rad Piano, it is 'key up' volume. Perhaps a name change or moving the knob next to pedal volume would be helpful? Maybe it's just me that was confused at first?

And I'm not sure if it's the samples or EQ'ing behind the scenes, but I feel like it's a bit heavy in the low end. I think that might be part of what attributes to it being a bit loud particularly on the lefthand side?

But I think this Rack Extension could stand to be larger with more control. The Rad Piano layout could serve as inspiration.

softska

12 Jun 2015

Sugh, wish this is just a NNXT patch instead (well as with all IDT instruments so far honestly)  :idea:

joeyluck

12 Jun 2015

Pretty straight forward, but as a suggestion for others, here's my default patch that is working pretty well for me.
Attachments
Joey's_Default.repatch.zip
(991 Bytes) Downloaded 69 times

K1TTENM1TTEN

12 Jun 2015

So I am not trying to sound like an ignoranus here, but the demo's on the PH Shop page are presumably from the VST version, not the RE version, right? Does the RE actually have all of these sounds from the demos? I mean, I am not gonna lie, based on the demos, this piano sounds right up my ally, but I don't want to spend my trial either just yet, haha.

Rice

12 Jun 2015

After giving this a try, i am a little disappointed in the sound. Mind you, I had very high expectations after hearing the demos, but I would have to agree with most of the comments made here about the sustains and lack of control. It's not at all inspiring to me or my ears. I do understand that we all have verying degrees when it comes to our tastes in sounds...this one just doesn't satisfy (me). But I do congratulate the developer for porting this.

JNeffLind

12 Jun 2015

I'm enjoying this quite a bit but I do have a couple bits of feedback for anyone sending notes to the creators for a potential update. The key release sounds are way too prominent for my taste and almost sound like there's some distortion happening so I just have those completely turned down.

Also, it seems like some of the notes in the upper register (C5 and up) are almost inadauble when played at medium velocity and below, at least when compared to the lower notes. If I go back and adjust the volumes of these higher pitch notes to where they come through and are able to be heard over a simple power chord in the bass (1-5-1) around the C2 register and then switch to a Reason Pianos patch the upper notes sound way loud. Of course I can adjust any individual bit of midi data to my taste to make it sound good, but it makes it difficult to audition patches and compare to other sounds if I have to constantly adjust note velocities to get comparable output.

Still, the warmth of these samples is unreal. I don't like to come off too pretentious when talking about sound but I really feel I can hear the longing in these samples. Don't know if this RE is for everyone, but it creates a hell of a beautiful noise when properly tweaked.

Koshdukai

12 Jun 2015

Was just about to post something like this.

That was a very odd choice. Kinda extending the notion of "black box" to a ridiculous extreme, IMHO.

Anyway, to me, besides the "hidden" FX toggles (and "sample set to load"), the other annoying thing about this instrument is the Note Off noise(s).

When releasing the notes of a chord, one by one, those "innnnt" sound per note being released is distracting. Pianos don't do this.

Also, after getting used to RP's sympathetic resonance, I miss that feature on every other sampled piano :/

joeyluck

12 Jun 2015

Hey everybody!

For those curious about the effects, I received a response from Soundiron that clears things up:

"There are some special effects presets included that use convolution impulses, but that's just a single internal effect with essentially a binary on/off state. It's just a single impulse file causing the effected sound
Unfortunately, controls cannot be moved or hidden in IDT, so if we were to include the few controls we do have access to for the convolution effect, they would always be there even in any preset that does not use an impulse. The controls would just be visible, but do nothing..."

I suggested they could maybe add a drop down menu to select from preloaded impulses and a small wet/dry mix knob and they had this to say:

"There is currently no way to change the loaded convolution impulse from a GUI control. This may change in the future, and if it does I'll definitely be looking into adding that."

They also mentioned that they already have a slightly updated version ready that tweaks the key up sample volume a little bit, but are waiting on some other things. They also said they would consider renaming 'Release Vol.'

• Information