Blamsoft Resampler is a must have!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

10 Jun 2015

I had always overlooked this beautiful RE because the word "bitcrush" was used in the description.  I've never really like the sound of something that was bitcrushed with my other distortion units.  But after watching the video from fretless fingers (must have REs from the May Madness sale), I decided to give Resampler a try.  And then I, too, decided it was a MUST HAVE! 

This thing is fantastic.  It has the ability to add that missing noise to your track.  It can dirty up a track and get rid of the infamous "Reason sound" (which is really just too clean a signal).  It can add some subtle saturation or completely mutate your sound to an unrecognizable level.  It really is a versatile little device.  I'm loving it.  It's my new favorite distortion unit, and I just purchased Futzbox.  I'm throwing Resampler on everything I can think of.  My dog has one hanging on his collar.

Nice work on this one, Blamsoft!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mrj1nx

10 Jun 2015

I should try this more, i would prefer if it had some presets to get started, like mr overdrive for example. I havent really discovered what sets this apart from other bitcrushers.

Tincture

10 Jun 2015

It is nice to add digital sampling noise, it offers a great deal of variety. I have no idea what you mean about the reason sound, just means lack of imagination to me. Such as chucking the same distortion unit all over the place.

challism

10 Jun 2015

"Reason sound" is a term that is thrown around.  People say that Reason has a sound to it.  Some argue that it is just because Reason sounds so clean, it doesn't have any noise.  I'm not sure what you mean by lack of imagination.  I'm not sure why you feel the need to be insulting.

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2015

Well to me, the reason sound was me just using REX loops from the FSB without any filtering or effects (or using the effects without modulation) with the half rack reverb running too wet :)

After all, doesn't every workstation have its own "sound?" reflective of the character of the sound designer. Unfortunately the Reason sound is used as a negative, but we should be proud of the Reason Sound (I think it was at the end of the PUF that we were creating "Reason Sound" songs).

electrochoc (PRX-A)

10 Jun 2015

challism wrote:This thing is fantastic.  It has the ability to add that missing noise to your track.  It can dirty up a track and get rid of the infamous "Reason sound" (which is really just too clean a signal).  It can add some subtle saturation or completely mutate your sound to an unrecognizable level.  It really is a versatile little device. 
I have it, but never thought of using it in a subtle manner (to "add that missing noise to your track")... I'll try that tonight when I'll be home... :)
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Tincture

10 Jun 2015

Sorry challism but you caught me in churlish mood. Electrochoc, it can do wonders when used subtley... For instance I once added the slightest noise to my bass and was amazed how it brought out my central hi-hats! I find hi-freqs can be 'excited' indirectly.

Theo.M

10 Jun 2015

I must admit i am still waiting for d16 decimort.

I find the blamsoft way too cpu heavy on the particular algorithms i like the sound of, but i guess for the price it's a good buy to have a comprehensive crusher. 

However between other RE's i have been satisfied enough in that department so far that i haven't been tempted to spring for it. Decimort does something organic to the sound which , IMO, resampler doesn't quite do.. i don't feel the same magic.

Puckboy2000

11 Jun 2015

challism wrote: I had always overlooked this beautiful RE because the word "bitcrush" was used in the description.  I've never really like the sound of something that was bitcrushed with my other distortion units.  But after watching the video from fretless fingers (must have REs from the May Madness sale), I decided to give Resampler a try.  And then I, too, decided it was a MUST HAVE! 

This thing is fantastic.  It has the ability to add that missing noise to your track.  It can dirty up a track and get rid of the infamous "Reason sound" (which is really just too clean a signal).  It can add some subtle saturation or completely mutate your sound to an unrecognizable level.  It really is a versatile little device.  I'm loving it.  It's my new favorite distortion unit, and I just purchased Futzbox.  I'm throwing Resampler on everything I can think of.  My dog has one hanging on his collar.

Nice work on this one, Blamsoft!
Can you post a link to the video? I could not find it on YouTube. Thanks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

challism

11 Jun 2015

"Rack in review" youtube video done by user fretless fingers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jovm5Na9gYc

Shokstar

11 Jun 2015

try out the Beat Crush, this will change your opinion ;)

FGL

11 Jun 2015

Shokstar wrote:try out the Beat Crush, this will change your opinion ;)
I have tried, for me Blamesoft is still the best.

popp

11 Jun 2015

I'm with Theo here. D16s Decimort is the most musical bitcrusher... at least to my ears.
Too bad it isn't available as a RE. Also, I prefer Resampler over beat crush since I can use
it in a more subtle way.
Super Dabbler

Olivier

11 Jun 2015

Shokstar wrote:try out the Beat Crush, this will change your opinion ;)
Beat crush is one of my favorite FX devices. The amount of control is incredible. I really like how you can control the bits. Rythmically flipping bits is one of my favorite things.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

hightrancesea

12 Jun 2015

Wanted to chime in that I find this to be a very useful RE; I use it to intentionally introduce aliasing to my sounds with much better control over quantization noise.  Great for replicating that "slightly off" vintage sound from the JP8000 or chiptunes.

Fretless Fingers

12 Jun 2015

challism wrote: I had always overlooked this beautiful RE because the word "bitcrush" was used in the description.  I've never really like the sound of something that was bitcrushed with my other distortion units.  But after watching the video from fretless fingers (must have REs from the May Madness sale), I decided to give Resampler a try.  And then I, too, decided it was a MUST HAVE! 
I'm glad you were able to give it a look. It got allot of praise when it came out and I kind of bought it on a whim. I started throwing it on things with subtle settings and realized how much flavor it added when I tried to remove it. Now I use it all the time and it has such a light DSP hit. Man it's just an awesome RE and the subject of my next video
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

ProfessaKaos

12 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:I must admit i am still waiting for d16 decimort.

I find the blamsoft way too cpu heavy on the particular algorithms i like the sound of, but i guess for the price it's a good buy to have a comprehensive crusher. 

However between other RE's i have been satisfied enough in that department so far that i haven't been tempted to spring for it. Decimort does something organic to the sound which , IMO, resampler doesn't quite do.. i don't feel the same magic.
Seems like we've been waiting a very long time  :bawl:
I might send them an email.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

challism

12 Jun 2015

Well, thanks for making that "must have may madness" video, mr fingers.  Without that video Resampler would NOT be in my rack today!  I love that RE.

Fretless Fingers

12 Jun 2015

challism wrote:Well, thanks for making that "must have may madness" video, mr fingers.  Without that video Resampler would NOT be in my rack today!  I love that RE.
You're welcome. It is one of the reasons I started the series to begin with. With an ever growing shop and a lack of a clear presence, it's seemed there was a whole as when it comes to consistent opinions and videos from someone experienced and inundated with way too many RE's. Thus the video's
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:

Fretless Fingers

12 Jun 2015

challism wrote:"Reason sound" is a term that is thrown around.  People say that Reason has a sound to it.  Some argue that it is just because Reason sounds so clean, it doesn't have any noise.  I'm not sure what you mean by lack of imagination.  I'm not sure why you feel the need to be insulting.
I have been saying this forever. In fact I've been compiling my review and had something very similar written towards this exact sentamint

Tincture

12 Jun 2015

I just don't get the argument, sorry. Back before REs I can understand that due to a limited synth and fx pool (still infinite sound pallette via samples though) you might get some samey sounds but that's down to the producer to rise above IMO. As for the sound engine having any sound or being 'too clean'... Sorry, I don't understand that argument.

adfielding

12 Jun 2015

It's funny... I've released several albums which have come straight out of Reason, and nobody's ever complained about a "Reason sound"  ;)

But yeah, I do like me the Resampler! I also love Beat Crush, though I might be a little biased there :)  Both are great devices, and while they're both bit-crushing distortion devices they're both very different.

Puckboy2000

14 Jun 2015

So does anybody use the bit crusher on the master out to dirty up the mix, or only on individual instruments?? Thanks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

FATCheese

14 Jun 2015

Puckboy2000 wrote:So does anybody use the bit crusher on the master out to dirty up the mix, or only on individual instruments?? Thanks.
Sometimes. When I want to end the track dramatically into oblivion.
But not to dirty up the mix.
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

Puckboy2000

14 Jun 2015

Puckboy2000 wrote:So does anybody use the bit crusher on the master out to dirty up the mix, or only on individual instruments?? Thanks.
FATCheese wrote:
Sometimes. When I want to end the track dramatically into oblivion.
But not to dirty up the mix.
That's a great idea. Thanks mr cheese. :)

• Information