Rob Papen's Vecto Song Challenge | The Announcement

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

10 Jun 2015

Welcome to Reasonistas' and Rob Papen's Vecto Synth Song Challenge.

THE RULES
  • Judge's decision is final
  • Only 3 winners and 6 prizes total. No cash alternative.
  • Song challenge begins Wednesday, June 10th, 2015
  • Song challenge ends Friday, July 10th, 2015 @ 11:59 pm EST
  • All entries must be uploaded to the Rob Papen's Vecto Synth Song Challenge SoundCloud Group
  • After the closing date, you are not allowed to change, alter or resubmit your entry. Any resubmissions or alterations will result in disqualification
  • All entrants, when requested, must be prepared to provide evidence that the rules have been adhered to. This includes providing a copy of the Reason song file to verify that only the Vecto synth was used for synth sounds.
What you may use in your song:
  • Vecto Synth Re for all synth sounds
  • Any Reason native and rack extension Effects and Utilities (no external plug-ins or hardware)
  • Any drums except external plug-ins
  • Recorded instruments and vocals (excluding external synths)
  • Vocal samples
  • Collaboration for any of the above
What you may not use in your song:
  • Any synth that is not Vecto (including Combinators featuring Vecto that include any other synth)
  • Any instrument samples (you can use drums samples and samples of Vecto)
  • Any programs outside of Reason that generate synth sounds
  • Any copyrighted material
THE SUBMISSION
All participant songs must be uploaded to SoundCloud and submitted to the Rob Papen's Vecto Synth Song Challenge group:  
"https : // soundcloud.com/groups/rob-papen-vecto-synth-song-challenge"
There will be no submissions thread on the forum so please ensure you upload to SoundCloud and then add your tracks to the group page, ensuring you use your forum name so that we can easily identify you.

THE JUDGES
Rob Papen & Co.
Noel G. (NoelGMusic)

The judging will be based off the following criteria:
  • Showcasing of the Vecto Synth
  • Arrangement and songwriting
  • Originality and creativity
  • Mixing and engineering
THE PRIZES
1st place: Vecto with 2 RP products of choice or Vecto and EUR 150 | USD 150
2nd place: Vecto with 1 RP product of choice
3rd place: Vecto

Vecto Synth Re download: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nstrument/https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nstrument/

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by Reasonistas on 27 Sep 2015, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Arrant
Competition Winner

10 Jun 2015

Busy month for challenges :) Nice one, can't wait to try this synth out.

Emian

10 Jun 2015

downloading trial as we speak :)
Very promising video !!

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

pLansford

10 Jun 2015

Ohhh man I'm already thinking about buying the synth but I'll enter this contest just for funzies.   :s0826:   Nice!

Emian

10 Jun 2015

pLansford wrote:Ohhh man I'm already thinking about buying the synth think but I'll enter this contest just for funzies.   :s0826:   Nice!

meet you on the battlefield, mate :)

Quite impressed by this synth ^^

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

mbfrancis

10 Jun 2015

Hell. Yes.

Wanted to do the ABL3 challenge but couldn't make heads or tales of how to use it for a whole track.  But this...this is sweet (even though it scares me a little...28 filter types what the?).
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2015

I'm in already. Did this all today.

Vectro is definitely an easy instrument to get started with and has some really nice options - even whilst only scratching the surface.
All sounds you hear are 100% Vectro, including drums, and the Bus Reverb. The only non-Vectro units in here are Compressors.
As the track name indicates this is unashamedly influenced by Vangelis' "Blade Runner" soundtrack. I loaded Vectro and the CS-80 style Brass is the first sound I made. If you pay attention you can hear the vector cycling from a low to high Osc which adds an interesting twist to the sound (yet still in keeping with the Big V).
"Hunting Electric Men"

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

frog974new

11 Jun 2015

Benedict wrote:I'm in already. Did this all today.

Vectro is definitely an easy instrument to get started with and has some really nice options - even whilst only scratching the surface.
All sounds you hear are 100% Vectro, including drums, and the Bus Reverb. The only non-Vectro units in here are Compressors.
As the track name indicates this is unashamedly influenced by Vangelis' "Blade Runner" soundtrack. I loaded Vectro and the CS-80 style Brass is the first sound I made. If you pay attention you can hear the vector cycling from a low to high Osc which adds an interesting twist to the sound (yet still in keeping with the Big V).
"Hunting Electric Men"

really in the spirit of Vangelis :)
nice soundscape tune .

here one song with an oldschool EDM vibe , having some fun to make some patchs with the Vecto

Biolumin3sc3nt

11 Jun 2015

Question: Can I use Thor just as a Utility device? ( Thor Step Sequencer Gate/ Note CV output -----> Vecto Gate/ Note CV in ) Or other Matrix routings?

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2015

I'll grab this and Noel can correct me if I am wrong. YES so long as Thor isn't providing OSC or Filter duties.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2015

I resubmitted as I needed to change the mix a bit.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Biolumin3sc3nt

11 Jun 2015

Benedict wrote:I'll grab this and Noel can correct me if I am wrong. YES so long as Thor isn't providing OSC or Filter duties.

Cool, Thanx! That's kinda what I thought

Reasonistas
RE Developer

12 Jun 2015

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:Question: Can I use Thor just as a Utility device? ( Thor Step Sequencer Gate/ Note CV output -----> Vecto Gate/ Note CV in ) Or other Matrix routings?
Benedict wrote:I'll grab this and Noel can correct me if I am wrong. YES so long as Thor isn't providing OSC or Filter duties. :)
Thank you, Benedict.  Yes, that is correct.
ImageImageImage

Iggster

13 Jun 2015

Hi Noel. Just realised the expiry date of the discount code for anyone already owning an RP product coincides with the deadline of the challenge.

Is Rob going to extend this until after the winners are announced similar to what he did with the Quad intro price for those entering the Quad Song Challenge?

raymondh

13 Jun 2015

Hi Noel

I see the reference to collaboration in the rules but would just like to check - is it within the rules & spirit of the challenge for Carl and I to work on a combined Pacific Deep entry?

thanks
Raymond

tibah

13 Jun 2015

Here is my entry, before I do the 5th sketch! :D  Fun it was! 

Reasonistas
RE Developer

13 Jun 2015

Iggster wrote:Hi Noel. Just realised the expiry date of the discount code for anyone already owning an RP product coincides with the deadline of the challenge. Is Rob going to extend this until after the winners are announced similar to what he did with the Quad intro price for those entering the Quad Song Challenge?
Hello Iggster, this is a great question.  Hopefully Richard from RP support reads this post and responds.  If not, I will have to check with Rob and get back to you.  
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

13 Jun 2015

raymondh wrote:Hi Noel

I see the reference to collaboration in the rules but would just like to check - is it within the rules & spirit of the challenge for Carl and I to work on a combined Pacific Deep entry?

thanks
Raymond
Hello Raymond, the rules refer to collaboration (or combination) of things you may use in your song, not necessarily collaboration with other Reason users.  Having said that, I don't think this is an issue as long as you keep in mind that the 3rd prize can only be awarded to one account.
ImageImageImage

raymondh

13 Jun 2015

Noel G. wrote:
raymondh wrote:Hi Noel

thanks
Raymond
Noel G. wrote: Hello Raymond, the rules refer to collaboration (or combination) of things you 
Noel G. wrote:may
Noel G. wrote: use in your song, not necessarily collaboration with other Reason users.  Having said that, I don't think this is an issue as long as you keep in mind that the 3rd prize can only be awarded to one account.
Thanks Noel! I've already bought Vecto (insta-buy!!) so in the event we were to get a placing, we won't be fighting over it :)  

Edouardo

13 Jun 2015

here one song with an oldschool EDM vibe , having some fun to make some patchs with the Vecto 

Trippy track - I truely enjoyed that! Too much on my plate to explore the Vecto this week, but after hearing what you did here, I can't wait to put my hands on this sweet synth in a week or two!
Reason Tutorial Producer: https://youtu.be/_oMa1Q44CRA
Music Producer & Composer - http://www.synaptic-machines.com/
Music Catalog: https://soundcloud.com/synaptic-machines

:reason: :PUF_balance: :record: :re: :refill: :D :D :D

Marc64

14 Jun 2015

This is my contribution to the challenge.

craven

14 Jun 2015

I really dig the contributions so far! Great stuff!
:ugeek:

Biolumin3sc3nt

14 Jun 2015

tibah wrote:Here is my entry, before I do the 5th sketch! :D  Fun it was! 

That was cool as hell man

Miss Controllerism

15 Jun 2015

sorry i  did nt understand

can i use kong for  the drum line?

Marc64

15 Jun 2015

As I understand Yes.

• Information