ZVORK's new RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Faastwalker

25 Jun 2015

pjeudy wrote:Another week ? Come on Props let it loose :-)
At this point Beta testers demos should be let loose also!
I agree 150% :D

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2015

pjeudy wrote:At this point Beta testers demos should be let loose also!
That I can do

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

EnochLight

25 Jun 2015

Well, since the veil of secrecy has been lifted I suppose I'll chime in on my experience.   ;)

First, the interactive custom display approach to making changes in key synth areas is a blast to use, and something that has been sorely lacking in Reason for some time.  Kudos to Zvork for doing this the right way and doing it first.  

Second, users should approach this synth in a similar fashion to early Reason synths such as Subtractor, Malstrom, and the sample players as this synth doesn't come with any built-in out-of-the-box effects (read: all patches are dry).  Patch programming-heads and Combinator builders will feel right at home; patch preset guys may feel like the included patches lack some punch, but slap some standard reverb, delay, and chorus on them and things may seem to sound more "modern".  

Finally, this thing seems to be pretty good on DSP/CPU.  At least, it was for me anyway.  

I'm looking forward to official release, and I'm looking even more forward to what experienced patch builders can do with this thing.  It's truly a blast to program!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exowildebeest

25 Jun 2015

Now I'm starting to get interested...

davidhyno

25 Jun 2015

[soundcloud_track]http://soundcloud.com/davidhyno/oberon-devote[/soundcloud_track]

Initial is a Redrum (RFB: Tecno Kit 04) with an Alligator (RFB:Resonant Sweep Phaser), then n°3 Oberon RE patch without any effect !

joeyluck

25 Jun 2015

Faastwalker wrote: Swweeeeeett!! Looks a bit weird the way the top 'screen' bit goes around the screws! I'd loose the top two screws & have it solid black if possible.
I suppose I see it more as an opaque window with a screen underneath that does not take up the whole area... I feel like I've seen something like this before. That said, I think it would also be fine to see the screws right thru the window (all black). It certainly is a very cool looking synth!

challism

25 Jun 2015

Oberon is a BEAST of a synth, and it is very light on DSP!  I had a blast beta testing it.  Great work team Zvork and congratulations!  I hope you guys sell a bunch of licenses. 
I think you guys in the forum are going to love this thing.  I love the way you can just draw your ADSR, amp and filters.  Also makes a great custom envelope generator.  And it's pretty easy to program, too!  I love the unison, octave level (sort of a frequency enhancer/exciter), and the morph is particularly bad ass.

I agree with EnochLight, since it doesn't have any built in FX, it would be a good idea to add some FX at the end of the chain.  But this thing is capable of making sore really, really power and fat sounds on its own.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Faastwalker

25 Jun 2015

challism wrote:I agree with EnochLight, since it doesn't have any built in FX, it would be a good idea to add some FX at the end of the chain. But this thing is capable of making sore really, really power and fat sounds on its own.
I prefer that Reason RE synths don't have onboard FX. It means with included patches (less for Combis) you're hearing them in their raw state. You could take the most ordinary sound, drench it in FX & make it sing. It's not indicative of what a synth is capable of. When I tried Vecto I noticed that practically all of the included patches make use of the onboard FX. Disable them & the 'wow' factor of a lot of the patches is diminished. But at least then you are hearing what the synth is actually capable of in it's own right. And it's not like it's hard to add FX to the chain in Reason as & when required.

EnochLight

25 Jun 2015

For me - I'm a presets guy.  I love instant gratification and having my socks blown off when auditioning patches.  This is something I've grown accustom to in the VST world and always found lacking in earlier versions of Reason, despite my history with it.  I mean, I'll always love Subtractor and Mal, but when Thor came along - just the fact that it had a built-in delay & chorus helped a great deal IMHO.  Hell, I could even find a rudimentary chorus on my old Juno 106 from 1984..  

Rack Extension synths and instruments with their own built-in effects chain have been a breath of fresh air for me.  To me, including a wisely built effects chain in the factory patches is just as important to the sound of the instrument as the oscillators, waveforms, and filters that come in the synth.  I think this is one of the big reasons why Rob Papen's stuff is so popular and has legendary patches - it just sounds great out of the box.

But yeah, I totally get that having a synth/instrument sound great dry is just as important.  I guess I've just gotten spoiled these past years.

*EDIT: to clarify, I think Oberon is freak'n fantastic despite the fact it has no built-in effects!  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

decibel

25 Jun 2015

good to see things steadily progressing in the world of reason, so many options now as to what you can throw in your rack, hopefully they will implement sample loading and more of the other various key improvements that people have been requesting in the forums since forever now ;) lol, with any luck we wont be waiting to much longer huh ? :)

joeyluck

25 Jun 2015

I too prefer synths without effects. I am aware that I can make anything sound superb with some reverb. Designing patches without the use of effects I feel encourages the programmer to better utilize the synth and ultimately create better patches when effects aren't used as a crutch. And not offering built-in effects I feel helps to encourage that.

challism

26 Jun 2015

Agreed.  I/we have plenty of FX to slap onto the chain.  I don't necessarily need a synth with onboard FX.  It seems when the developer doesn't have to spend time creating FX, they are freed up to devote more time and attention to putting out a quality synth. 
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

davidhyno

26 Jun 2015

Just before the weekend, here's a video presentation of some of Oberon's factory patches. Served almost dry with a slight zest of LeSpace reverb.

(take from Zvork's Facebook page!)

scifunk

26 Jun 2015

I like having onboard fx to give me an idea of what a sound might be like, although I then take all onboard fx off and rebuild my own fx chain. 

CR68

26 Jun 2015

great demo from the factory patches! rellay like the sound. i really look forwrd to try this one! :-)

Faastwalker

26 Jun 2015

Zvork have updated their website to include Oberon.

There's a detailed overview, the video we've already seen + some more patch demos;

http://zvork.fr/audio/oberon/

Exowildebeest

26 Jun 2015

The Thor style mod matrix pleases me! Really wish more synths would do the "scale" thing.

joeyluck

26 Jun 2015

Hmmm the display window looks slightly different here. Maybe they were listening to Faastwalker? That said though, my OCD is killing me with the dissymmetry at the top lol. Now there would be no point of the window in the upper left hand corner...
Although the front panel screenshot remains the same. http://zvork.fr/audio/wp-content/upload ... tPanel.png
So maybe this 3D shot is an old one?

Faastwalker wrote:Zvork have updated their website to include Oberon.

There's a detailed overview, the video we've already seen + some more patch demos;

http://zvork.fr/audio/oberon/

chimp_spanner

26 Jun 2015

So excited about this! Looks/sounds great. I can't see myself *not* getting this.

Faastwalker

28 Jun 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:So excited about this! Looks/sounds great. I can't see myself *not* getting this.
Same here. There's a buzz around this thing that is hard to fathom. Maybe a lot to do with Zvork's previous RE's, which are great. I've got them all apart from Noxious. The cool interactive envelopes / filters / oscillators look really interesting as well & they are something new for a Reason synth. Can't wait. Hope it's in the shop ......... NOW! I've looked about half a dozen times already today & it's only 1PM AEST!

Faastwalker

29 Jun 2015

.............. I posted on the Zvork FB page asking if they might do a bundle with Oberon & Noxious. They replied saying, 'you read our minds'.

So looks like there will be another opportunity to grab Noxious at a discount. If it's a tempting bundle price I might have to pull the trigger on Noxious as well ;)

dhruan

29 Jun 2015

Faastwalker wrote:.............. I posted on the Zvork FB page asking if they might do a bundle with Oberon & Noxious. They replied saying, 'you read our minds'.

So looks like there will be another opportunity to grab Noxious at a discount. If it's a tempting bundle price I might have to pull the trigger on Noxious as well ;)
That would actually be cool... tried Noxious when it came out and wasn't too convinced that it was for me. Fortunately there is a chance to retrial it now that they reset it a while back :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

am0eba

29 Jun 2015

Instabuy!

Well, I downloaded the trial and played with some of the presets first. That was more fun than I've had with a synth in Reason since forever… Seriously wide palette of sounds available - no need for internal effects when the sounds are this interesting. 

One final thing before purchasing: I created my own oscillator waveform and filter response curve using the graphical interface - and that sealed the deal for me. This is exactly what many folks have been clamoring for. Looking forward to setting up some morphing patches using my own origin and target waveforms and filter responses...

And I also love the look of the front panel: very enticing.

Taking a long lunch break today to play.

_Dave_

PS: Download the manual - you won't regret it.

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2015

Congratulations Zvork.

Here is an article I wrote on understanding Oberon and Additive/Digital synthesis based on my time making patches. It should help people get theri hear around the vast Oberon synth generator.

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/06/30 ... a-rundown/

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information