FET softube comp, questions/answers

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gak

09 Jun 2015

There is no doubt that it the very small sample size of using this today it's about the best I've heard on a drum bus (wow, thanks captain obvious! :rofl: )

But some things I don't understand even after watching viddys and reading the manual:

-When launching an instance, is it supposed to have that "lag" time where it takes a while for the controls to catch up?
-Is the "parallel" kinda weird in that it seems to take turning to about 3pm to get the "original" to be even noticeable? 
-In the manual, it mentioned being able to "click" onto "fixed" settings for the ratio, not happening on the RE? If you can, then please share :)

Thanks all.

gak

15 Jun 2015

bump, I think I've watched every video known to man on this :rofl:  

Not sold on this yet. Still testing. Definitely not worth 149. 

Exowildebeest

15 Jun 2015

I don't have the FET (kind of drooling over it though, I suspect it's as good as people say it is) but regarding your second point I can speculate:

The reason you need to turn the parallel inject all the way to 3pm to hear the original signal might be due to some form of automatic make-up gain on the compressed signal (I don't see a make-up gain knob on the FET, so there might be something automatic going on). Or/and: it might simply not be a linear control, but something curved, staying in the 0-50% range for 80% of the knob value. What value and name the mouseover shows might give a clue.

normen

15 Jun 2015

The 1176 only has input gain towards threshold so you always internally end up with a louder signal.

jfrichards

15 Jun 2015

gak wrote:...-Is the "parallel" kinda weird in that it seems to take turning to about 3pm to get the "original" to be even noticeable?...
Strange, I always hear the original kicking in around 10 o'clock.  Maybe your original source has compression or medium to slow attack already?  Cause then it wouldn't stand out.  I love running this device around 11 o'clock.  What type of original sources are you using?

Enterface

15 Jun 2015

Aside from the added functionality like the parallel feature, etc., how does the FET compare to the McDSP compressors? I'm particularly interested in how it compares to the C670 in terms of basic functionality. I've tried the C670 and really liked it but am wondering if the FET is worth the additional cost.

normen

15 Jun 2015

Enterface wrote:Aside from the added functionality like the parallel feature, etc., how does the FET compare to the McDSP compressors? I'm particularly interested in how it compares to the C670 in terms of basic functionality. I've tried the C670 and really liked it but am wondering if the FET is worth the additional cost.
Its much faster, very different kinds of compressors really.

gak

15 Jun 2015

gak wrote:...-Is the "parallel" kinda weird in that it seems to take turning to about 3pm to get the "original" to be even noticeable?...
jfrichards wrote: Strange, I always hear the original kicking in around 10 o'clock.  Maybe your original source has compression or medium to slow attack already?  Cause then it wouldn't stand out.  I love running this device around 11 o'clock.  What type of original sources are you using?
Well, mostly drums (various) I guess it depends on the settings, but I still feel that you have to have it up pretty high to really hear the original.

gak

15 Jun 2015

Enterface wrote:Aside from the added functionality like the parallel feature, etc., how does the FET compare to the McDSP compressors? I'm particularly interested in how it compares to the C670 in terms of basic functionality. I've tried the C670 and really liked it but am wondering if the FET is worth the additional cost.
normen wrote:
Here's what I'd add. Regardless of cost/fast/etc, with the 670 it catches peaks better than anything I've tried in reason. The moo does, but it's.......moooooshier :rofl: (I couldn't resist)

I'm having a tough time with the FET. At first I really thought it was great on a drum bus, but now I'm just not so sure. Seems to let a lot "out" as far as peaks. Could easily just be me though. One thing I haven't done is set it up in rstouch yet (which I just now remembered it's part of that! :rofl: )

Maybe the finer controls and kickin' back to make adjustments will give me an a-ha moment :)  

Kazz

15 Jun 2015

Don't forget people often use *two* compressors, so you could add something just to take care of the peaks. 1176 (FET) and LA-2A (RE-2A) are a popular combination, but you can try anything you like. :)

gak

15 Jun 2015

Which reminds me........I can't wait for the cakewalk one to go on sale  :s0106: :s0230:

ProfessaKaos

16 Jun 2015

I feel the FET shines most on Vocals, Bass and Parallel Drum Bus channel. FET on vocals you can't go wrong IMO.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

mbfrancis

16 Jun 2015

There was a great thread on the old PUF called something like "how do you use the fet compressor" and Selig had some good posts there, especially on drums.  Something about a Dr Pepper setting I think...
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

gak

16 Jun 2015

@professa: I'm sure you are correct about vocals, unfortunately I can't sing :rofl:

Pretty sure you are correct about the other two ;)

gak

26 Jun 2015

For bass guitar it's gluey and doesn't bork up the sound. For drums like octorex stuff (which I use all the time for flava) it's on it's own. For drum buses it can be great*

So the justification for buying it was it's on sale and I'll miss it for a few things and I had the money in my paypal account.

*really depends though. Finding the sweet spot is really difficult. A little here/there and it's not enough or really too crushy. 

zakalwe

26 Jun 2015

i still can't get the hang of it.  i found this article and chart the other day that might explain it a bit

http://arpjournal.com/all-buttons-in-an ... roduction/
Although the 1176 is often noted as having a fixed threshold, from analysis of a transfer function diagram (shown here in Fig. 1) from an out of print Urei 1176 manual the author noted that the threshold changes depending on the ratio. The current manual confirms this observation, stating, “The 1176 has been designed so that selecting higher ratios also raises the threshold level.” Looking at Fig. 1 you can see that the knee also appears to change. At higher ratio/thresholds the knee is harder which is obviously useful for controlling peaks while lower ratio/thresholds have a softer knee for more subtle gain reduction. Shanks clarifies this observation in an edition of the Universal Audio Webzine when he notes that “The 4:1 and 8:1 ratios are commonly used for compression, 12:1 and 20:1 are used for peak limiting” (Shanks 2003).

normen

26 Jun 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Something about a Dr Pepper setting I think...
Thats 10 o'clock / 2 o'clock with 4:1 ratio, so relatively long attack and relatively quick release. Given that the attack of the 1176 is always very quick thats really "relatively" ;)

Theo.M

26 Jun 2015

normen wrote:
gak wrote:
Here's what I'd add. Regardless of cost/fast/etc, with the 670 it catches peaks better than anything I've tried in reason. The moo does, but it's.......moooooshier :rofl: (I couldn't resist)

I'm having a tough time with the FET. At first I really thought it was great on a drum bus, but now I'm just not so sure. Seems to let a lot "out" as far as peaks. Could easily just be me though. One thing I haven't done is set it up in rstouch yet (which I just now remembered it's part of that! :rofl: )

Maybe the finer controls and kickin' back to make adjustments will give me an a-ha moment :)  
Except of course the mcdsp can't catch the FIRST peak after playback  :P

as far as your 3 questions:

1) No lag here, what buffer size are you running at? The meters and all dials respond instantly as soon as inserted here
2) No, it just depends on what source  you are using and how much compression. It's works here as one would expect - in any case, just set it where it sounds good.
3) Clicking on exact preset values eg ratios is only applicable to the formats other than RE. Very weird if they left that in RE manual, well, an oversight. (I never read the RE manual for the FET).

FWIW, this is the only RE out of over a hundred, along with GEQ7, that makes it into every single song one way or another without fail over here. And the AU always made it into every single one of my logic songs too. Been using the Softube FET for years - 1176 plugins come and go, this is my top 2 of all time. It's just a damn fine compressor plugin for many tasks (although i don't use it on a full mix nor plan to).

Edit: just adding in case you may wonder what my other top native 1176 plug is, it's the IK black which I also adore. Would love to see some IK stuff in REason, for sure ;)

• Information