ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
frog974new

06 Jun 2015

Be carefull
to DL this new IDT , we need the last authorizer but don't support OS 32 bits
so may be devs and props need to add the mininum requirement spec for this Re

darkmode

06 Jun 2015

Just for info I've done a very quick comparison piece using the ProjectSAM Re Vs Miroslav ReFills, posted on the music forum.

Which one do you think sounds better? I'm still out on this.

Cheers.

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/projects ... 1287471667

Ostermilk

06 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:
I gave it 5 stars just for their presence in the shop :)

But so far, I'm disappointed in this one. Very limited. Practically no control. The looping is bad. I can hear start/loop points and I can hear a pen drop over and over and over again :frown:
FrankJaeger wrote:
Finally some proof on why you can't trust the amount of stars on a product without reading reviews. You gave it 5 stars immediately just because a specific company put something in the shop, then proceeded to say you are disappointed by the product with reasons that for me (and probably others) are deal breaking. 

That 5 stars is still there and someone else is going to take the plunge based off of that and possibly waste their money that could have been spent elsewhere. Granted they can trial the device first, but in my experience almost all musicians are to some degree over zealous and will jump at the opportunity to make their music better. :x
I don't take too much notice of the star system anyway but I think the only thing to lose any credibility at all over this would be Joey's reputation.  But then we all know he's an enthusiastic type and at least he stated what he did and has made attempts to bring to light some of the shortcomings of the product to the developer who has already stated they are going to address some of these issues mentioned as a result.

I don't think it's a big enough deal to make any issue out of personally and I think anyone that springs for a product just on account of it's rating deserves the education of finding out for themselves how reliable looking to the stars is to base important decisions on... ;)   Me, I find the Tarot is far more reliable but that's probably just because I'm an Aquarian... :D

bxbrkrz

06 Jun 2015

darkmode wrote:Just for info I've done a very quick comparison piece using the ProjectSAM Re Vs Miroslav ReFills, posted on the music forum.

Cheers.

Maybe it's because you've used Miroslav for years. Everything connected more to my untrained ears than the RE.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

darkmode

06 Jun 2015

darkmode wrote:Just for info I've done a very quick comparison piece using the ProjectSAM Re Vs Miroslav ReFills, posted on the music forum.

Cheers.

bxbrkrz wrote:

Maybe it's because you've used Miroslav for years. Everything connected more to my untrained ears than the RE.
Yeah could be that I'm used to using the ReFills.

Thanks for listening and the feedback :-)

chimp_spanner

06 Jun 2015

Just gave this the quickest try out...not sure I'm convinced. Only two alternating samples for staccato, and the full orchestra setting being limited to chords. I dunno. Don't get me wrong, really happy to see a big name like Project SAM getting involved with the platform but I feel they could've beefed it up a bit. I'll try and work with it properly tomorrow when I'm more awake but ya know, it's half(ish) the cost of Albion, which I'm told is a really good all-rounder. But yeah, will see what's up tomorrow.

joeyluck

06 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:
I gave it 5 stars just for their presence in the shop :)

But so far, I'm disappointed in this one. Very limited. Practically no control. The looping is bad. I can hear start/loop points and I can hear a pen drop over and over and over again :frown:
FrankJaeger wrote:
Finally some proof on why you can't trust the amount of stars on a product without reading reviews. You gave it 5 stars immediately just because a specific company put something in the shop, then proceeded to say you are disappointed by the product with reasons that for me (and probably others) are deal breaking. 

That 5 stars is still there and someone else is going to take the plunge based off of that and possibly waste their money that could have been spent elsewhere. Granted they can trial the device first, but in my experience almost all musicians are to some degree over zealous and will jump at the opportunity to make their music better. :x
Ostermilk wrote:
I don't take too much notice of the star system anyway but I think the only thing to lose any credibility at all over this would be Joey's reputation.  But then we all know he's an enthusiastic type and at least he stated what he did and has made attempts to bring to light some of the shortcomings of the product to the developer who has already stated they are going to address some of these issues mentioned as a result.

I don't think it's a big enough deal to make any issue out of personally and I think anyone that springs for a product just on account of it's rating deserves the education of finding out for themselves how reliable looking to the stars is to base important decisions on... ;)   Me, I find the Tarot is far more reliable but that's probably just because I'm an Aquarian... :D
Thanks for understanding :)

I feel my reasons for rating the way I rated (when I rated) are justified. There is no criteria for rating, no breakdown of ratings, no suggestions or guidelines given...
And like I was saying, I don't know anybody that just clicks "Buy" based on stars alone. Higher ratings usually mean a higher frequency of tries, lower ratings usually mean those REs are overlooked. If folks can buy rack extensions all willy-nilly without trying them, I might envy them. But less likely so because they are probably not the most productive users.

We know there will be some Soundiron REs on the way soon (ports from Kontakt libraries), but this is the first of it's kind to hit the shop. All of our begging and no other answers by means of shop presence yet. Seeing ProjectSAM hit the shop definitely put a big smile on my face. Who deserves a low rating? The developers who aren't considering the RE format =P

My current rating is like this:
4+1 (the +1 for showing up to our party).
Folks are acting like my initial rating is much different than it would be justified otherwise.
Add the fixes, and maybe it's a 6 star rating.
I could question people's 4 star ratings just as much. What went into that rating? Did they not like the color? Had a bad lunch? We don't know!

I wish there was criteria for rating (quality, value, GUI, etc)
I wish there was a breakdown of overall star ratings (how many 1 star votes? How many 5 star votes?)
I wish my vote was attached to my name with a review (I wish reviews, any length, were mandatory to rate).
I can't do any of that currently. I can only tell people here.

Thanks, y'all!

Juan Rosa

07 Jun 2015

The first sampler (Top) looks great! the second looks a bad plastique! and i'm asking again.. what are we need? close sampler? or a better sampler than a NNXT?

joeyluck

08 Jun 2015

To me, an improved NNXT would be more for the user-end/Reason-familiar library builder.

The IDT supposedly allows developers to more easily import their sample libraries (including Kontakt format) into the Rack Extension format. Which allows users to try it out (as it's a RE) and also better protects the developers' products from piracy.

Also, supposedly with the IDT, the developers can script whatever they wish into the RE. So assumably, all the control can be there... Much of this is unclear.

Juan Rosa

09 Jun 2015

I think that a Kontakt Format will be available just if Native Instruments develop a RE version from Kontakt, but this will not possible, :/

Miss Controllerism

12 Jun 2015

i compose orchestral music and this  rack extension is pretty ridicolous

there are only   ensemble sections

plus only 2 articulations ( legato staccato)  no way u can create a serious orchestral project with this

Gaja

13 Jun 2015

Miss Controllerism wrote:i compose orchestral music and this  rack extension is pretty ridicolous

plus only 2 articulations ( legato staccato)  no way u can create a serious orchestral project with this
Did you register just for this?
One could argue that serious orchestral projects would involve an orchestra no?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Marc64

13 Jun 2015

I like Project sam, allmost all in one place :)
Don't know why there isn't a vibrato to the modwheel though... or do I miss something?

Kire

13 Jun 2015

Miss Controllerism wrote:i compose orchestral music and this  rack extension is pretty ridicolous

Gaja wrote: Did you register just for this?
One could argue that serious orchestral projects would involve an orchestra no?
Sometimes a link is better than thousand words. http://www.spitfireaudio.com

I think even ProjectSam is really good in the vst-world, but come on...we need more functions, controllers and a more informative GUI than those RE's can give us.

joeyluck

13 Jun 2015

Marc64 wrote:I like Project sam, allmost all in one place :)
Don't know why there isn't a vibrato to the modwheel though... or do I miss something?
I believe the mod wheel only affects the tremolo strings.

Miss Controllerism

14 Jun 2015

take look for example at  La scoring strings .. and see how many articulations a violin can have

Legato
sustain 
sustain vibrato
spiccato
ostinato
trills
fx
staccato
pizzicato

Propellerhead is  3 step behind in orchestral music... i think reason is good for every kind of music exept  orchestral  and filmscoring

Gaja

14 Jun 2015

Miss Controllerism wrote:take look for example at  La scoring strings .. and see how many articulations a violin can have

Legato
sustain 
sustain vibrato
spiccato
ostinato
trills
fx
staccato
pizzicato

Propellerhead is  3 step behind in orchestral music... i think reason is good for every kind of music exept  orchestral  and filmscoring

Well I certainly agree that there are not many options for orchestra, but this is certainly a step in the right direction. I would guess it's kind of a testing of the platform and see how users adopt it. Therefore a logical way to deal with the lack of proper orchestration tools, could be to invest in the tools provided by those who could deliver what you're looking for, if the uptake were good.

But still, I think Reason is still great for composition, but for your final version you might want to engage in tools more suited for the job.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

softska

14 Jun 2015

Miss Controllerism wrote: Propellerhead is  3 step behind in orchestral music... i think reason is good for every kind of music exept  orchestral  and filmscoring
Well, for a start, maybe they will finally consider some basic video support first lol

Dante

16 Jun 2015

Would you buy it if you knew the loop points wouldn't be fixed - that's the tester !

joeyluck

16 Jun 2015

Dante wrote:Would you buy it if you knew the loop points wouldn't be fixed - that's the tester !
Well they did say they are fixing them, so just a matter of time until we see the results. 
14-15 days until my trial runs out. I suppose that's the case for many that hit "try" on day 1.

Unfortunately I wouldn't buy it without first being able to try it with the fixes.
So, hoping those fixes come soon, or they consider resetting the trial periods...

adfielding

17 Jun 2015

Figured I'd give this one a punt, but I keep getting stuck with the Download Failed message. Tried quite a few times now, actually, and my connection is solid - just download 10gb of something else so it's definitely not a problem on my end.

Just thought I'd see if anyone here had managed to sort this out before I go through support.

Gaja

17 Jun 2015

adfielding wrote:Figured I'd give this one a punt, but I keep getting stuck with the Download Failed message. Tried quite a few times now, actually, and my connection is solid - just download 10gb of something else so it's definitely not a problem on my end.

Just thought I'd see if anyone here had managed to sort this out before I go through support.
Is it possible that your Authoriser is not up to date? They recently updated it to allow the downloading of REs larger than 2GB.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

muffins4all

17 Jun 2015

I wish your welcome to the forums would have been friendlier, but I for one appreciate your input.  Thank you.

I was considering this rack extension, but I think I can do much better.

• Information