Mixfood Orange has some really beautiful patches included

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Theo.M

01 Jun 2015

Hi guys and gals, bought a few tidbits today on sale, and decided to try mixfood orange demo.. seems very complex there are so many controls, which i haven't delved into yet I must admit, but it certainly does make glorious sound!

I went through many of the included patches, and the engine has a raw "goose bump" vibe to it which I find lacking in many modern synths. Is it the included waveforms or is there an included synthesis engine?

In any case, some of the patches were just beautiful. I just sat there playing away forgetting time, thinking "OMG this is the next pad for my next track" and so on and so on.

$35 regular price (and i believe I read this one will always be this price, which i think is great as it's well worth it) seems to be a bargain, if you don't take any of the other features into account and just pay $35 for the sounds! 

I can only imagine with some determination and time it would be an amazing instrument to create new sounds, and a perfect example of "let's have RE sample import soon please".

Anyway, sound designers, devs, please consider this beast for your next refill, as I know for a fact from the included patches, that it is capable of a truly magnificent sound! And thank you to the developer of mixfood itself!

pbc278

01 Jun 2015

Thanks! I'm busy myself to create a trance refill for Mixfood Orange...
Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

Theo.M

01 Jun 2015

pbc278 wrote:Thanks! I'm busy myself to create a trance refill for Mixfood Orange...
OK! WOW! this synth would be IDEAL for "dream trance". I am so excited about this refill! I look forward to it with baited breath!

So did you design all the other patches so far? If so you have some serious skill!

Sorry to pit it against another rompler, but the patches are just so much better than meteora (IMO testing them back to back), for someone looking at a rompler, this is the one to get at the moment.

MDTerps2015

01 Jun 2015

Theo I dont know if you saw that the new Mixfood Unison has 1100 waveforms. I agree with you on the Orange and it still my go to song starter and since i bought the mixfood Orange i have bought the Predator, Quad, Driver, and regrettable Tres. This is still my go to synth with Predator a close second. Cant wait for the Unison because i wont even try im just buying. 

150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Theo.M

01 Jun 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Theo I dont know if you saw that the new Mixfood Unison has 1100 waveforms. I agree with you on the Orange and it still my go to song starter and since i bought the mixfood Orange i have bought the Predator, Quad, Driver, and regrettable Tres. This is still my go to synth with Predator a close second. Cant wait for the Unison because i wont even try im just buying. 
Yeah just saw the topic and downloaded, it also has a beautiful sound but since beta much less patches included so far.. but the sound is already there!

Thanks though for the recommend :)

I totally regret tres as well especially at $50 but at $25 for hardcore tweakers who are really into their own mono sound creations, i can somewhat recommend it. Predator is awesome too, so it seems we have the same tastes. Always welcome to hear from time to time hehe :)

Cheers

pbc278

01 Jun 2015

Me and my brother did all of the normal patches, the 'user patches' are in the folders with their names... But it's so easy to make something nice with this thing.. I'm surprised myself all the time what it can do. I think the power lies in the 'motion' possibilities by using multiple LFO's on different speeds, and maybe some automation (in a combinator) on different knobs...

Well it was just the type of device I wanted to make (with the still limited IDT toolkit)...
pbc278 wrote:Thanks! I'm busy myself to create a trance refill for Mixfood Orange...
Theo.M wrote:
OK! WOW! this synth would be IDEAL for "dream trance". I am so excited about this refill! I look forward to it with baited breath!

So did you design all the other patches so far? If so you have some serious skill!

Sorry to pit it against another rompler, but the patches are just so much better than meteora (IMO testing them back to back), for someone looking at a rompler, this is the one to get at the moment.

Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

frog974new

01 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:

tried both the Mixfood and Meteora , Meteora is more form drums beats , Mixfood can do also some cools tunes for drums but its really great for synths sounds ( stabs , arp , bass , leads , pads ,fx...)

that'll be great to have a bundle , the Mixxfood orange + refill + the next Mixfood unisson ^^

MDTerps2015

01 Jun 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Theo I dont know if you saw that the new Mixfood Unison has 1100 waveforms. I agree with you on the Orange and it still my go to song starter and since i bought the mixfood Orange i have bought the Predator, Quad, Driver, and regrettable Tres. This is still my go to synth with Predator a close second. Cant wait for the Unison because i wont even try im just buying. 
Theo.M wrote:
Yeah just saw the topic and downloaded, it also has a beautiful sound but since beta much less patches included so far.. but the sound is already there!

Thanks though for the recommend :)

I totally regret tres as well especially at $50 but at $25 for hardcore tweakers who are really into their own mono sound creations, i can somewhat recommend it. Predator is awesome too, so it seems we have the same tastes. Always welcome to hear from time to time hehe :)

Cheers
No problem Theo and thx Corbach. NOW, i get so excited for instruments and especially if its from an awesome developer like Corbach or Papen. Im also looking forward to the Red Rock synth coming. Seems like the annouced it two years ago and reminded us last year and it was supposed to drop about a month ago. LOL. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

pbc278

01 Jun 2015

I won't do bundles ever! but I'll keep the price for Unison low. The refill will be free...
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

mbfrancis

03 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:Hi guys and gals, bought a few tidbits today on sale, and decided to try mixfood orange demo.. seems very complex there are so many controls, which i haven't delved into yet I must admit, but it certainly does make glorious sound!

I went through many of the included patches, and the engine has a raw "goose bump" vibe to it which I find lacking in many modern synths. Is it the included waveforms or is there an included synthesis engine?

In any case, some of the patches were just beautiful. I just sat there playing away forgetting time, thinking "OMG this is the next pad for my next track" and so on and so on.

$35 regular price (and i believe I read this one will always be this price, which i think is great as it's well worth it) seems to be a bargain, if you don't take any of the other features into account and just pay $35 for the sounds! 

I can only imagine with some determination and time it would be an amazing instrument to create new sounds, and a perfect example of "let's have RE sample import soon please".

Anyway, sound designers, devs, please consider this beast for your next refill, as I know for a fact from the included patches, that it is capable of a truly magnificent sound! And thank you to the developer of mixfood itself!
I would concur with everything said here.  THis device is intimidating (haven't tried to program it yet), but really delivers some wonderful unique patches, particularly pads, but also great unique arps and pluck sounds.  And for the most part (unlike the FM4) it's pretty mellow on CPU. 

Some minor frustrations - the lack of unique names for patches, weak bass patches, odd patch folder structure - but an insanely cool sounding, inspirational device.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

pbc278

03 Jun 2015

Ahh.. Sorry about the patch names... I can't change them now.. But in my next (Mixfood Unison Xs) device I will do a better job. Also Mixfood Unison Xs will be even better for Bass sounds. 
As for Mixfood Orange, If you have Bass patches to share please do, maybe we (or just me) can all learn from it and I can include them in the next update.
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

pbc278

03 Jun 2015

Here's a short demo featuring Mixfood Orange and Mixfood Unison Xs (coming soon RE).

Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

psychasm

04 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:Hi guys and gals, bought a few tidbits today on sale, and decided to try mixfood orange demo.. seems very complex there are so many controls, which i haven't delved into yet I must admit, but it certainly does make glorious sound!

This is some good motivation for me to get onto this product. I havent downloaded the trial yet and decided to give some time before trying ,especially given my recent trouble with authoriser. These are definitely some positive comments about this device and I read a lot of love about it on this forum as well as the DEV being very active and taking suggestions into consideration and acting swiftly on suggestions. I dont recall reading any negative comments about this device , only positive ones. A huge plus for me it seems is the good " out of the box " sounds which users are claiming to experience as well as CPU usage. Wont comment on the other devices which were available on Sale as enough has already being said and have already deleted all of those devices I feel are not worthy to exist on my rack , although prices were extremely tempting to go ahead and purchase , do not wish to have any regrets with purchases. So im giving another month until all of my trials officially expire before I give this baby a go. Thanks Theo.

Theo.M

04 Jun 2015

psychasm wrote: This is some good motivation for me to get onto this product. I havent downloaded the trial yet and decided to give some time before trying ,especially given my recent trouble with authoriser. These are definitely some positive comments about this device and I read a lot of love about it on this forum as well as the DEV being very active and taking suggestions into consideration and acting swiftly on suggestions. I dont recall reading any negative comments about this device , only positive ones. A huge plus for me it seems is the good " out of the box " sounds which users are claiming to experience as well as CPU usage. Wont comment on the other devices which were available on Sale as enough has already being said and have already deleted all of those devices I feel are not worthy to exist on my rack , although prices were extremely tempting to go ahead and purchase , do not wish to have any regrets with purchases. So im giving another month until all of my trials officially expire before I give this baby a go. Thanks Theo.
You are most welcome :) Congrats on your purchases, may you make much glorious music with them :)  If you like quality included ready to go patches i do believe you will be very happy with this, but yeah, the demo will reveal all. That's one great thing about RE's.. the demo is ALWAYS the full product and the only difference is the license. 

Do let us know what you think when you get around to it in a few weeks. PS the dev is already working on a FREE! extra refill for it which is good to know also. (i am very excited truth be told as i really love the sound of mixfood).

I wish I was good at patch design to help do a bank for this but the dev has obviously got a fantastic grip on programming the device (believe me, not every great plugin has great included patches from the dev, usually they go to 3rd parties).
But still, for a different "vibe", I would love a 3rd party designer to go to town with it.. surely those millions of knobs do something LOL! Reason is really cool like this because we have a great network of pro sound designers so *almost* every RE synth so far has access to fantastic extra banks.. hopefully mixfood is just experiencing a small delay in that department.. But even so, Mixfood is great as it is and well worth the money for 1) tweakers and 2) dedicated preset whores like me - cause even if you never make one sound in it yourself or there is never a future 3rd party bank, $35 for sounds of this quality is worth it anyway! I'd buy this over a refill for something else in the price range for sure ATM. There's like 150 patches and a few combis as well.. 

I had only spent all this time playing the patches so far, so I flipped it around for the first time just before, and i notice 6 outputs on the back
basically separate outs for each oscillator for dry and for wet.. i presume wet means with FX. Interesting idea.

What i would like to see is some inputs for onboard FX and filters.

EDIT: I have to say, the device is not so hard to use after all... it was just me being lazy! It "looks" like a LOT of knobs but once you realise what they do it's a lot less intimidating than something like Thor.. In fact I think i may be able to do some patches after all. I also love how there is an easy master filter and chorus.. in fact it's all very logically laid out.. 
To give it a quick "synth for dummies, ie. Theo", explanation, here goes: it's three oscillators each using one of 154 preset waveforms. (sampled i presume, from the synth's download size).

Top orange strip is master
then next grey strip is first oscillator
2nd orange is 2nd oscillator
then final grey is 3rd

It's actually very simple to understand.. I feel like such a Image moment at present. 
So yeah it's clearly divided into 4 sections, and each oscillator has activation, it's own output on the back, and really easy to use fx section, touch up graphic EQ, filter with adsr and volume adsr.. Just have to tinker with the lfo section now which is sync capable and easy to use knobs for amounts on volume/pan/tuning/cutoff/resonance.

DUH! I mean the dev could not have made it ANY easier to use! So for those like me who were initially a bit intimidated by so many knobs, have another look, it's actually rather pleasant to tweak!

So the sound quality then must be coming from the samples.. or does mixfood also have it's own synthesis?

Whatever, it sounds great :)

frog974new

04 Jun 2015

So the sound quality then must be coming from the samples.. or does mixfood also have it's own synthesis?

Whatever, it sounds great :)
hi Theo ,
i tried the Mixfood last month , its both ;)
for each osc there's a huge wave form with great quality sample and with this all internal routing and fx were also great . i.e as you said to build some cool tune its easy to stack or not the 3 osc with for each have a proper filter env , waveforme , fx chaining

++ , the Mixfood Orange is an IDT RE but it keep get the feeling of a device for reason : tweak , modulate , routing with combi ..
the other great thing , enought any knowledge for synthesis user just can move knobs to setup a sound ^^ . i'm a big fan of the Thor but undertand to make some evolving sound on this take time .

Exowildebeest

04 Jun 2015

I liked the waveforms, and might still eventually buy it for those, but the synth architecture I didn't like at all. It might be somebody's dream subtractive architecture, but it isn't mine :) Reverb on a per-oscillator basis?! Of all the effects in the universe, that'd be the last one I'd choose in that position ;) When programming patches, I felt like the architecture was working against me, instead of with me.

That said, from what I remember from my trial, the thread title statement is true, there are some great patches in there.

frog974new

04 Jun 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I liked the waveforms, and might still eventually buy it for those, but the synth architecture I didn't like at all. It might be somebody's dream subtractive architecture, but it isn't mine :) Reverb on a per-oscillator basis?! Of all the effects in the universe, that'd be the last one I'd choose in that position ;) When programming patches, I felt like the architecture was working against me, instead of with me.

That said, from what I remember from my trial, the thread title statement is true, there are some great patches in there.
for the reverb on this position may be its to avoid some artefact noise ( echo , drainée ..)
for exemple with the osc3 there's the distorsion fx
osc > reverb > distorsion not the same result as osc > distortion > reverb , with the second scheme many times we need to add some cut Eq

and don't forget , with the rear we can take dry or wet signal for each osc and create our proper chaining fx ;) or just turn off the reverb on the mixfood and take wet signal audio from the rear output

pLansford

04 Jun 2015

Yeah I think it has a great sound!  I've been meaning to buy it for a while since it came out but I got drunk, went broke, then May Madness came!  I finally bought it this morning though.  Thank you all for your efforts - it is much appreciated.

• Information