REs that Can Crash Reason

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ScuzzyEye

31 May 2015

In another thread about an RE that's being properly sandboxed when it has an internal error, it was reported that there are REs that can act outside the sandbox, and crash Reason. If anyone can reliably get Reason to crash, please post the information here. I'll do my best to get the bug reports filed with Propellerhead, because that is a pretty serious bug in Reason.

Please include the version of Reason you're using, what RE is involved, and how to reproduce the crash. Include a .reason file if possible.

thala

01 Jun 2015

reason 8.1 and it was already in reason 7:
Synapse GQ-7
while modulating nearly every parameter via cv in at the same time, select lcf (left filter) characteristic b36 or b48

gak

01 Jun 2015

thala wrote:reason 8.1 and it was already in reason 7: Synapse GQ-7 while modulating nearly every parameter via cv in at the same time, select lcf (left filter) characteristic b36 or b48
AH, reproducible here. The workaround seems to be don't use b36 or b48 :x  

ScuzzyEye

01 Jun 2015

thala wrote:reason 8.1 and it was already in reason 7: Synapse GQ-7 while modulating nearly every parameter via cv in at the same time, select lcf (left filter) characteristic b36 or b48
gak wrote: AH, reproducible here. The workaround seems to be don't use b36 or b48 :x  
Alas, it's not an RE that I own. I have made the Props aware of the bug, and will trial it, if they want any further testing.

thala

01 Jun 2015

gak wrote:
i reported it already some weeks ago to synapses forum. no response..

pedrocaetanos

01 Jun 2015

thala wrote:i reported it already some weeks ago to synapses forum. no response..
From personal experience, synapse forum users are not very friendly of reason users and can react a bit on the negative side when seeing criticism (even if supposed to be constructive)... so, if you got no answer, you got lucky!  ;)

And for bug reporting, support email is still the best way. Devs aren't always hanging around in the forums, and again from personal experience, Rick is not always hanging around in Synapse forum.  :)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

ScuzzyEye

01 Jun 2015

thala wrote:i reported it already some weeks ago to synapses forum. no response..
Do you happen to have a .cmb of the device wired up to Matrixes or what ever is needed to provoke the crash. You could zip it up, and attach it to a post here.

I found someone with the RE, but he's not able to reproduce the crash with Reason 8.2.

eusti

01 Jun 2015

This is so strange: I cannot even get GQ-7 automated via CV with Matrixes... :P

D.

thala

01 Jun 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: Do you happen to have a .cmb of the device wired up to Matrixes or what ever is needed to provoke the crash. You could zip it up, and attach it to a post here.

I found someone with the RE, but he's not able to reproduce the crash with Reason 8.2.
you will need tons of re for this combi. volt sl. janitor. hamu mesher8k. midi mixer. midi processor. cmd math education. and so on. and you will need at least one free cpu core at 3,5ghz+...

EnochLight

01 Jun 2015

gak wrote:
thala wrote: i reported it already some weeks ago to synapses forum. no response..
Did you submit a tech support request to Richard?  Their forums are meant for users, and most are VST people.  I don't see them doing tech support there often, or hardly at all.

I tried reproducing on Windows 64-bit (both 7 and 8.1) but I'm on Reason 8.2 and don't have a combi with the other RE's you mentioned, so I can't really offer any insight.

That said, I'm curious - why are you still on Reason 8.1? 
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ScuzzyEye

01 Jun 2015

thala wrote:I found someone with the RE, but he's not able to reproduce the crash with Reason 8.2.
you will need tons of re for this combi. volt sl. janitor. hamu mesher8k. midi mixer. midi processor. cmd math education. and so on. and you will need at least one free cpu core at 3,5ghz+...
Unfortunately that's going to be difficult (or expensive) for anyone to replicate. Have you tried to make a simpler test case?

ScuzzyEye

01 Jun 2015

I was provided this .zip with a .cmb inside by the person who can't provoke a crash. Can you try it, and see if it crashes yours?

all CV in and b36 or b48 crashtest 4x.zip     
Attachments
all_CV_in_and_b36_or_b48_crashtest_4x.zip
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

gak

01 Jun 2015

At this point in time we should probably give specs:

Win7x64, i7 4770, 16GB ram, focusrite saffire pro 14, 44.1k, nektar impact 61, and some nvidia graphics card (not a really powerful one) and 100% SSD. 

thala

02 Jun 2015

thala wrote:I found someone with the RE, but he's not able to reproduce the crash with Reason 8.2.
ScuzzyEye wrote: you will need tons of re for this combi. volt sl. janitor. hamu mesher8k. midi mixer. midi processor. cmd math education. and so on. and you will need at least one free cpu core at 3,5ghz+...
Unfortunately that's going to be difficult (or expensive) for anyone to replicate. Have you tried to make a simpler test case?
just plug a lfo to each cv in. and select that filter b36 or b48

thala

02 Jun 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: you will need tons of re for this combi. volt sl. janitor. hamu mesher8k. midi mixer. midi processor. cmd math education. and so on. and you will need at least one free cpu core at 3,5ghz+...
just plug a lfo to each cv in.
and on reason8.1:
i had no time for doing backups and then downloading everything with my 2Mbit internet...

Gaja

02 Jun 2015

@thala in case you missed it, Reason updates dropped in size significantly and are now only something like 150MB. So with your 2Mbit connection it should be ready to go in 20min...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Koshdukai

02 Jun 2015

@thala: Reason 8.2 is only a 114 MB download now, for Windows, like 
Gaja said.

Go here to get it: https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason82/

But before updating to R8.2, have you tried the .cmb patch provided here to see if that also crashes your Reason setup?

@gak: have you tried the .cmb to confirm that it also crashes your Reason setup?

As described by thala, that .cmb is exactly that, a simple LFO sent to all GQ-7's CV ins (it's even 4x'ed trying to go out of regular/expected CV range) and changing the Low Cut Filter Slope to either B36 or B48 modes.

It's using internal automation through the Combinator but trying directly (changing it through the GUI with mouse-clicks) or through a Sequencer automation lane does exactly the same thing, which in my case is: no crash at all.

I've tried it with R8.2, R8.1 and R7.1.1 both 32bit and 64bit and there's no RE nor Reason crash.

The only thing that may happen on some busy songs is some GUI animation deterioration but that's by design, that's Reason balancing the CPU load out of unimportant GUI refresh (and Remote/MIDI polling) and keeping the audio side with as much CPU as possible for DSP. But no crashing.

Koshdukai

02 Jun 2015

ok, I think I finally got something. Not a crash but GQ-7 actually stops working (i.e. stops treating audio).

This is what I did:
If you load that .cmb patch, click "Run Pattern Devices" to get the audio going and then do this:
Click the 1st Combinator button labelled "LCF B36" on then off
Next click the 2nd Combinator button labelled "LCF B48" on ...everything still runs but the audio stops.
To check if the audio source is still working, simply click on the Combinator's "Bypass All FX" and you'll hear the audio running, but turning that off (i.e. turning GQ-7 back On) will break (stop) the audio.
The only way to get the audio back is by resetting the GQ-7 or load another patch into it.
No crashes but GQ-7 does stop working.

Tried this on R8.2 this time.

thala

02 Jun 2015

Koshdukai wrote:ok, I think I finally got something. Not a crash but GQ-7 actually stops working (i.e. stops treating audio).

This is what I did:
If you load that .cmb patch, click "Run Pattern Devices" to get the audio going and then do this:
Click the 1st Combinator button labelled "LCF B36" on then off
Next click the 2nd Combinator button labelled "LCF B48" on ...everything still runs but the audio stops.
To check if the audio source is still working, simply click on the Combinator's "Bypass All FX" and you'll hear the audio running, but turning that off (i.e. turning GQ-7 back On) will break (stop) the audio.
The only way to get the audio back is by resetting the GQ-7 or load another patch into it.
No crashes but GQ-7 does stop working.

Tried this on R8.2 this time.
gq-7 crashes when b36 or 48 is selected by a mouseclick. that one isnt modulated by cv. sorry forgot to mention that. i will try your .cmb asap. but i had no time for reason. reallife was calling my name...

Koshdukai

02 Jun 2015

thala wrote:gq-7 crashes when b36 or 48 is selected by a mouseclick. that one isnt modulated by cv. sorry forgot to mention that. i will try your .cmb asap. but i had no time for reason. reallife was calling my name...
ah, real-life always getting in the way ;)

Ok then, when you can, try that .cmb and if it crashes, try to edit it and make it even simpler while still crashing.

See if using simple CV values (without multiplying them by 4) still crashes.

Then see if unplugging some of the CV ins in the middle bands still crashes it, etc.

thala

02 Jun 2015

thala wrote:gq-7 crashes when b36 or 48 is selected by a mouseclick. that one isnt modulated by cv. sorry forgot to mention that. i will try your .cmb asap. but i had no time for reason. reallife was calling my name...
Koshdukai wrote:ah, real-life always getting in the way ;)

Ok then, when you can, try that .cmb and if it crashes, try to edit it and make it even simpler while still crashing.

See if using simple CV values (without multiplying them by 4) still crashes.

Then see if unplugging some of the CV ins in the middle bands still crashes it, etc.
sorry but before i gonna test that deply i will need backups etc
this will take tons of time because reason is mostly killing explorer.exe and then i need a hard reboot...

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2015

When explorer is killed, hit ctrl+shift+escape to open the task manager, .. file -> run (explorer.exe)

Gaja

02 Jun 2015

avasopht wrote:When explorer is killed, hit ctrl+shift+escape to open the task manager, .. file -> run (explorer.exe)
But still, a backup is always a good idea!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

thala

02 Jun 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:I was provided this .zip with a .cmb inside by the person who can't provoke a crash. Can you try it, and see if it crashes yours?

all CV in and b36 or b48 crashtest 4x.zip     
ok here we go, thanks for this combinator.
it fixed my crash bug...
same thing i had with "digital filter". that one had exactly the same crashing results as gq7.
once a preset is loaded, it is not anymore reproducable and works like a charm.
on most devices i have never seen the presets. maybe i should ...

BUT... your combinator has a new bug: once filter b48 is selected, gq7 is quiet. lfo is still working on the display eq, so there seems to be a bit of life it. the incoming audio isnt showed in the dislay anymore, once it crashed. but there no complete-crash anymore. thanks :)

so if anyone has a strange mouseclick crash... load some presets. it seems that simple two times now.

and some day i will update to r8.2
but not now, i am in a cv-flow right now. dont wanna stop it.
have a nice day!

Koshdukai

02 Jun 2015

thala wrote: all CV in and b36 or b48 crashtest 4x.zip  

it fixed my crash bug...
That's odd, to say the least :D

So how do you get a crash!? With an empty (non-patch loaded) GQ-7 ?
Guess I need to try that too then.
thala wrote:BUT... your combinator has a new bug: once filter b48 is selected, gq7 is quiet. lfo is still working on the display eq, so there seems to be a bit of life it. the incoming audio isnt showed in the dislay anymore
ok, that behavior I was able to get too, so that is something Synapse Audio needs to check at least.

• Information