crahes with FM4

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ahs

31 May 2015

can somebody verify this.

i put in

1.FM4
2.Matrix with random notes at 32 steps

3. combine this in a cmb

4.hit play
5.right mouse on the cmb "duplicate devices and tracks
BOOOM
Attachments
Unbenannt2.PNG
Unbenannt2.PNG (362.57 KiB) Viewed 1468 times

altron

31 May 2015

W00t! Something crashed in Reason? That is worthy to be marked in the calendar!
Trap is where music goes to die.

ahs

31 May 2015

marked

Gaja

31 May 2015

altron wrote:W00t! Something crashed in Reason? That is worthy to be marked in the calendar!
I've had some REs that did this. In Beta usually, but blamsoft Resampler had a wicked bug that crashed the device.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

ScuzzyEye

31 May 2015

ahs wrote:can somebody verify this.

i put in

1.FM4
2.Matrix with random notes at 32 steps

3. combine this in a cmb

4.hit play
5.right mouse on the cmb "duplicate devices and tracks
BOOOM
I tried, the device doesn't crash for me.

Putting on my coder hat for a moment, my guess is that something isn't initialized when a new device is created. A note arrives (why the playing while duplicate is needed) before the device is finished setting itself up, that's why it goes boom. This is likely going to be computer dependent, faster machines may be able to finish the initialization quicker, and not see the problem.

Even setting my tempo to 999, and repeatedly duplicating, and undoing, and redoing that duplication, I can't trigger it.

ScuzzyEye

31 May 2015

altron wrote:W00t! Something crashed in Reason? That is worthy to be marked in the calendar!
Gaja wrote: I've had some REs that did this. In Beta usually, but blamsoft Resampler had a wicked bug that crashed the device.
But the important fact is that a crashing plug-in doesn't bring Reason down with it. That's pointed out in the error message too. You can still save, and generally go on with your life, it's just that that plug-in instance will be disabled until you restart. Cool stuff.

Shokstar

31 May 2015

the same here, it wasn´t possible for me to reproduce the error message :)  

ahs

31 May 2015

i have an I7 8 cores and 8 GB Ram. to slow ?

and it only happens in a combinator. if i duplicate them without beeing in a combinator, no crash !
if i dup them within a combinator = no crash

challism

31 May 2015

Not crashing for me either.  Can you duplicate this regularly?  You might want to save the song file and email it to the Dev.  You could also attach it to this message and see if we are getting the same error with your song file.

Attachments
fm4.jpg
fm4.jpg (230.13 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Eagleizer

31 May 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: But the important fact is that a crashing plug-in doesn't bring Reason down with it.
Ohh please! Stop the myth! ;)  I can bring down Reason with a certain RE any time. 
Even Parsec was able to put Reason to sleep when it was released. Just because it
never happened to you, does not mean it does not happen.. ;)

Cheers :)

ahs

31 May 2015

the file !
Attachments
Document_1.zip
(132 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times

Eagleizer

31 May 2015

ahs wrote:the file !
Win7x64:

Runs fine on my "not so fast" laptop. Duplicated both cmb 1 and 2,
while running, with no problems. Are you using RAMDisk? If so,
you might have run out of space for the TEMP file.. 

If not, make sure you have Reason Pref set to use a space on your
HDD/SSD that have at least 20GB free. (According to the Help files for Reason)

ScuzzyEye

31 May 2015

ahs wrote:the file !
Still doesn't crash for me.

nikolafeve

31 May 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: But the important fact is that a crashing plug-in doesn't bring Reason down with it.
Eagleizer wrote:
Ohh please! Stop the myth! ;)  I can bring down Reason with a certain RE any time. 
Even Parsec was able to put Reason to sleep when it was released. Just because it

100% agree, it's a myth...
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

ScuzzyEye

31 May 2015

Eagleizer wrote:

nikolafeve wrote: 100% agree, it's a myth...
I don't want to go too far off the topic of this thread. If you know of an RE that can reliably crash Reason, it's a serious bug in Reason, and should be reported. I've started a thread here: http://www.reasontalk.com/post/show_sin ... 1287332474 It would be great if either of you could provide the details.

MDTerps2015

31 May 2015

Mr Overdrive crashed a few times with me but never brought down Reason. The only RE that has crashed that i have and i have a ton of them. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

challism

31 May 2015

I've been using Reason since 2001 (version 1), and it's NEVER crashed on me.  Literally thousands and thousands of instances where Reason was in use and never a crash.  I've had many "your computer is too slow" errors that stopped the song, but never a crash.  And I've used it practically every day since 2001 (except a few hiatuses here and there).  I am continually amazed at Reason's stability.

The only time I've ever had an RE crash is when I am alpha/beta testing a device.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

craven

01 Jun 2015

yeah, Reason's stability always has been very important to me and I never got let down. I think I had one or two RE crashes over the last couple years, and there might have been a restart of Reason necessary once. In 10 years! Come on, Reason is among the stablest DAWs out there. I remember the buggy times of Ableton Live - it was so annoying. I'm very happy to be a Props/Reason customer in this regard. 
:ugeek:

• Information