Pulsar... what do you think?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

27 May 2015

I'm trialing Pulsar now.  I have wanted to buy it just because so many people have it and use it in their patches, I can get rid of that popup notice when loading a patch.  $15 is pretty cheap, but I am not digging Pulsar at all.  I think Ammo kicks its ass.  So I am going back to my initial thought, buy it because so many other users/patches have it, and then I can finally hear/see exactly how these patches are set up.  Pulsar isn't terrible, it's just not Ammo.  Anyway, what are your thought?  (if you care about my stupid topic, ha ha ha)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

paulred67

27 May 2015

I got it for free when it was released. I would probably buy it anyway. A great device in my opinion.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

challism

27 May 2015

$15 is a no-brainer, and I have always wished I had got it for free, too.  I don't think it's terrible, and I have only been trialing it for a few days, so maybe I will learn to like it more.  It does seem limited on the wave forms and the frequency range (compared to Ammo, but... yeah 128 wave forms is hard to compete with).  I one feature I DO LIKE about Pulsar is that LFO1+LFO2 cv output.  That thing is pretty wicked and can generate some evil patterns.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Faastwalker

27 May 2015

Love it.
one feature I DO LIKE about Pulsar is that LFO1+LFO2 cv output
Yep ;)

Majestik Monkey

27 May 2015

Yeh i agree with Paulred67 

I to got Pulsar free ' & would really miss it if it was.nt there . . . . Did you know Pulsar can double as a Synth too ! although quite limited ... 

joeyluck

27 May 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:Yeh i agree with Paulred67 

I to got Pulsar free ' & would really miss it if it was.nt there . . . . Did you know Pulsar can double as a Synth too ! although quite limited ... 
Yup! There are some great Pulsar synth patches included as well ;)

I too use Pulsar often in projects and wish it was included free with Reason always.
But $15 is a great deal.

manisnotabird

27 May 2015

Does Pulsar do anything that Little LFO doesn't?

True

27 May 2015

I also got it when it was free. The free part is almost certainly why you see it in so many patches, and for $15 I'd say that alone makes it a must-buy. It's like MP3 -- it may not be the best tool available for what it does, but the fact that so many people use it makes it essential.

hamu

27 May 2015

I tend to throw in a Pulsar when I quickly wanna have an LFO, but when I elaborate the setup a bit more, it's mostly - sooner or later - replaced with a Little LFO...  :P
manisnotabird wrote:Does Pulsar do anything that Little LFO doesn't?

synclab

27 May 2015

Pulsar is one of my favorite devices, superb for sound design with its buffer freeze function.
:essentials: :recycle: :adapted: :reason: :record: :reload: :rebirth: :puf_bigsmile:

manisnotabird

27 May 2015

synclab wrote:Pulsar is one of my favorite devices, superb for sound design with its buffer freeze function.
Are you thinking perhaps of Polar?

woozy

27 May 2015

Pulsar is one of my favorite devices, superb for sound design with its buffer freeze function.
I think you got it wrong pulsar does'n have buffer freeze function what you mean is polar, but pulsar is great for modulation and can produce good monophonic synths sounds, i use it a lot in my production mostly as modulation source.

dvdrtldg

27 May 2015

I generally prefer Little LFO. Four oscs, more useful functions (e.g. PWM), and you can get it to go real S-L-O-W. Pulsar's slowest setting is 0.06 Hz while Little LFO will go down all the way to zero - believe it or not, that's been an issue for me. Wish it had invert CV like Pulsar does, but a splitter will take care of that.

I still like Pulsar, got it for free when it first came out and use it from time to time, and yeah it's often present in other people's patches & combis so it's good to have (I bought Charlotte for the same reason, i.e. wanted to use some combis that used it).

Obviously Ammo and Malstrom kill it for waveforms, but these days if I want exotic waveforms I'll reach for Shape first.

dflynn

27 May 2015

I don't find Little LFO in the shop. Is it still available?

Iapetus 9

27 May 2015

Pulsar is permanently attached to my Subs and Mals. That device really tied the existing synths together IMHO.
38L > 51D every time.

gak

27 May 2015

dflynn wrote:I don't find Little LFO in the shop. Is it still available?
page not found here.

But I found this:

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/little-l ... op-7416623

gak

27 May 2015

I think for 15 bucks it's pretty cool.

One thing I have an issue with is controlling kuassa amp with CV. I'd love to use a CV for swells and things (but it seems there is something wrong with kuassa creme/vermillion) 

synclab

27 May 2015

synclab wrote:Pulsar is one of my favorite devices, superb for sound design with its buffer freeze function.
manisnotabird wrote:
Are you thinking perhaps of
manisnotabird wrote:Polar
manisnotabird wrote:?

Dang where's my head today! :s0959:  yes hahaha - forget the freeze part :P but anyhow Pulsar is also great when using it as an oscilator or as gate source to trigger other devices  for making weird stuff. Using it as audio osc or as cv for modulation, I agree that is should' be come included in Reason...sorry I'm a Dabbler you know ;)
:essentials: :recycle: :adapted: :reason: :record: :reload: :rebirth: :puf_bigsmile:

electrochoc (PRX-A)

27 May 2015

hamu wrote:I tend to throw in a Pulsar when I quickly wanna have an LFO, but when I elaborate the setup a bit more, it's mostly - sooner or later - replaced with a Little LFO...  :P
manisnotabird wrote:Does Pulsar do anything that Little LFO doesn't?
Same here. I have Pulsar, Little LFO and Ammo, but, when I want a quick and basic LFO, it's always Pulsar that I use. It's mainly a matter of workflow: with Pulsar, even without holding 'Shift', no auto-routing, no track created... For 15$, given also the compatibility it gives with a wider range of patches, it's a great deal!

I'll add though that I almost never use Pulsar as a synth... I prefer Ammo or Little LFO for that, that I use as oscillators in modular polysynths settings...
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

• Information