Reason core devices that have RE replacements that does it MUCH better?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jappe

24 May 2015

Hi all!

What reason core devices would you say:

1. Have some RE that can do the same job MUCH better.
2. What's the problem(s) with the reason core device that the RE solves.
3. Is there some Reason core device that should never be used.

pjeudy

24 May 2015

I haven't touch the Mclass EQ since this came ouy !
it does everything better then the Mclass EQ !! It has MID/SIDE ---- MID solo/SIDE solo----put 2 in parallel for Mid.Side eqing.You can flip he phase right on the EQ..Way more selection on the slope of your LPF and HPF///ETC...the list goes on.The Mclass has been out classed!
oops..silly me I didn't even mentioned the Spectrum display :-)

By the way The GQ-7 will be out done if this ever comes to REASON :

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pushedbutton

24 May 2015

You'd hope Re's have a point.
Some Re's can be emulated by a combinator but this probably means more processing power and thought is used to achieve the result and it probably won't be exactly the same.
I'm all for not buying things I don't need, it's just how I was raised and what I can afford. Playing devil's advocate you can trial any Re for 30 days and if you can build a combi that does the same job you'd just saved yourself some money. Just as taking your car to a garage for an oil change could be seen as allowing your ignorance to be exploited, it could also be seen as a way to keep your driveway and clothing free from oil stains.

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

pjeudy

24 May 2015

Also you have
OZONE vs The Mclass Miximizer    *RE better to me*
FET comp Vs Mclass comp           *RE better to me*
Stereo Splitter vs Mclass Imager  *I prefer the SP but the Mclass imager has that x-over freq that would make the Stereo Spliter The ultimate* I will email Quadeletra about this!!!!!

EFFECTS:
Pulvarizer    *good as is*
The ECHO   *good as is*
Alligator      *good as is*
BV515        *has a cool sound that I like :thumbup: ,BUT there are better sounding Vocoder options in other Instruments*
RV7000      *Killer as is* Yea there will always be more features or option req..but good as is.
Neptune    * :frown:  there's nothing in the shop to compare so..*as good as we have*

I'm not including the half Racks..well everything in the shop beats the Half Racks.

UTILITIES:
Combinator                 *Good but needs improvements*
Audio track                  *Good as is but needs improvement*
RPG-8 vs Predator Arp vs Korde SEQ Arp  *RE better* 
Matrix vs Korde SEQ Arp *RE seems better* Haven't tried I just took a look at the video now!
Spider audio-cv vs Jiggery-Pokery Sound * get's the job done yes but way more option in the shop* RE better!
Mixer 14: and 6:2 KINGS 

P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

jappe

24 May 2015

pushedbutton wrote: ...I'm all for not buying things I don't need, it's just how I was raised and what I can afford...
That's actually the trigger for me creating this thread. I was looking through the devices in the tempting outbord rig offer, but reluctant to buy since I don't know if there's enough of must-haves (considering a must-have as something that cannot be recreated with sufficient quality using Reason core devices)

jappe

24 May 2015

pjeudy wrote:I haven't touch the Mclass EQ since this came ouy !
it does everything better then the Mclass EQ !! It has MID/SIDE ---- MID solo/SIDE solo----put 2 in parallel for Mid.Side eqing.You can flip he phase right on the EQ..Way more selection on the slope of your LPF and HPF///ETC...the list goes on.The Mclass has been out classed!
oops..silly me I didn't even mentioned the Spectrum display :-)
I like to use the channel strip EQ, because I get a great big spectrum display (that I put on my second screen). Are you always using the GQ-7 instead of the channel strip EQ as well?

tibah

24 May 2015

I did vote for the CF-101 Chorus/Flanger hybrid device. I never liked it. That said, I didn't bother to replace it yet, since I'm not big on using chorus, beside the ones already in a device, like Antidote or Re-Tron.

The biggie for me always was the RV7000, when we had no other options. Now after some years experimenting with loads different plug-ins and the options we have as RE now, I have to say it's a pretty decent device with some unique algorithms to it. I have TSAR and Uhbik-A as well, but I don't *avoid* RV7000 because of them.

Maybe we should make a poll, which Reason stock devices are irreplaceable, no matter what REs to come? ;) Then again, the way Reason is designed, everything kind of being multi-purpose, I don't think there is a useless device. Take COMP-01 for example. I never really figured out how to set the threshold aka where 0dB is supposed to be and the auto-gain can go nuts, but that's kinda the beauty of it. I can't put it against younameitRE, simply because I know it's wonky and weird, and that's why I liked it so much! :D  If you have a *history* with some of these devices, since you had your Reason 1-4 experiences, there is a certain... eh... *love*. ;)

pjeudy

24 May 2015

jappe wrote:Are you always using the GQ-7 instead of the channel strip EQ as well?
No I use both .... I'm sooo used to the Chanel strip eq. I use the GQ-7 on the master and everywhere else for it's MID/SIDE processing removing Mid from some synth/piano sounds to make space.
Also I'm a big fan of the slope options that you have..I use that to cut low end information on my kicks and bass and on the side information. you can turn the GQ-7 band type independently  into Low shelf / high shelf / peaking  :thumbup:  The Mclass doesn't stand a chance

Having said that I'm trying to not use the Srip EQ only for one reason..I want get familiar more with the GQ-7 ... BUT THE CHANEL STRIP EQ is very good sounding to me! will never completely eliminate it!

challism

24 May 2015

Interesting topic. Here are my thoughts, just form REs I own:

Robotic Bean Step sequencer
Etch Red
Kuassa amps
Kuassa EVE EQS
Synapse Ninety Vintage Phaser
Ozone Maximizer
Jiggery Pokery Chenille
Selig Leveler
Blamsoft Polymodular Audio and CV mergers/splitters
Sononics Revival for many FX
Rob Papin Predator for FX and arpeggiator
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

muffins4all

24 May 2015

After spending a few hours A/Bing amp model rack extensions, I'm liking the Kuassa amp models much more than the Softube Amp rack extensions (both guitar and bass), which is surprising to me, because I really liked the Softube Amp Room VST when I demoed it.

I'm glad I didn't upgrade to R8.

SebAudio

24 May 2015

tibah wrote:Maybe we should make a poll, which Reason stock devices are irreplaceable, no matter what REs to come?
Thor or course !
All the "loading user samples" devices till SDK allows such ability to REs...

Emian

24 May 2015

ReDrum still got all my love, if only for its step sequencer. i used to only link it to Kong, but lately its hooked to Punch, EDS06 & kong. alltough Euclid found his way very well too to all those gate-inputs :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

electrochoc (PRX-A)

24 May 2015

I think most (if not all) of the devices you included in your poll now have better options in the shop, or even within Reason itself. This said, I can't really say that the devices you mentionned really suck: it's just that better sounding options now do exist.

Just to give you an example: RV7000 is very good and very versatile, but I always dislike a little the way the reverb tail sounded in the high frequencies. Now, I have DR-1 from Synapse which, in my opinion, sounds better in those high frequencies, so it became my default reverb. RV7000 is now for me a device that I use only (and more and more rarely) in experimental ways.

An other example: I'm not crazy about the MasterClass EQ, and will eventually shop for an alternative. The only RE EQ I own right is REQ131 from Red Rock Sound, which I use sometimes as an inserts for creative purposes. But, for mastering, I use mainly the EQs of the SSL, which sound better in my opinion.

This said, as I consider most of the choices you offer in your poll as a little outdated, but not that bad per se, I only voted for:

a) All the half-rack devices, except the ECV-42 fliter (which has an interesting sound that makes me use it from time to time).

b) Scream 4: this choice is, I know, a little more controversial, and reflects mainly my relation to it. Every single time I tried to use it, I feel it destroyed my sound in an unpleasant way, to the point that, even before the release of Rack Extensions, I was never using it despite the fact that I love distortion in general. The releases of REs made me love distortion again, and I now have many other options to choose from: RPDistort, ReSampler, Saturation Knob, Audiomatic, all REs from That Music Company... Sometimes, I still give Scream a try, but always end up deleting it after a few minutes. Again, this is a matter of personal taster, but Scream has always been to me a terrible device, and I'm very happy to have now many more options!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

softska

24 May 2015

I wouldn't miss D-11 whatsoever, pretty much any bitcrush RE will run it over (BeatCrush is my favorite). Everything else still great though.

The Tone Ranger

26 May 2015

D-11, CF-101 and ECV-42 are obsolete in my rack, but not because of REs but from other stock devices.

esselfortium

26 May 2015

D-11 is still great -- I like to use it in parallel chains to add high-end frothiness to synths. It's also useful as an additional waveshaper on monosynths.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

JoshuaPhilgarlic

26 May 2015

I think the question is wrong. It better should be: What stock devices still do a better job than any REs ;) .

So here is my choice: ....

• UN-16 Unison: still the best unison device for me. I use it whenever a single source needs to be 'fat' - and there are a lot!

• PH-90 Phaser: best to emulate 70's J-M Jarre or Tangerine Dream style string ensembles. I tried some REs, but PH-90 is still unbeatable - just in its default setting!

• Alligator: there's simply no RE for this. Period!

• BV512: there's also no RE for this ;) !

• Neptune: and again...

tumar

26 May 2015

pjeudy wrote: BV515        *has a cool sound that I like :thumbup: ,BUT there are better sounding Vocoder options in other Instruments*
Which instruments? I need good vocoder urgently! ;)

JoshuaPhilgarlic

26 May 2015

pjeudy wrote: BV515        *has a cool sound that I like :thumbup: ,BUT there are better sounding Vocoder options in other Instruments*
tumar wrote:
Which instruments? I need good vocoder urgently! ;)
There's one in Predator.

But what's 'better sounding'? A vocoder is just an envelope controlled filter thing. The major sound experience depends on what's connected to the Carrier!

BV512 with Subtractor attached can sound pretty much like Kraftwerk!

• Information